• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All core overclocking 3600X with NH-D15

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flarayig

Hello all,

I have been using 3600x with MSI Gaming Plus Max and NH-D15 for over two months, I am pretty much a newbie in overclocking. It was running with auto oc setups. Last I could achieve auto was 4.25 ghz all core but wasn't satisfied with the temps. Today I tried increasing TDP limits on PBO&stuff, disabled amd coolnquiet and spread spectrum, set the voltage to 1.325 and went on exploring. It seems to work fine on 1.325 and 4.25 all core but when I try 4.3 all core and 1.325, p95 temps reach 92c+, while vcore drops as low as 1.25, package tdp shows up as 125w but worker 1 always errors in few mins but doesn't crash. I don't know how to proceed right now. I am mainly trying to reach stable 4.3 all core in a lower voltage but I am not sure if it's possible. btw, aida64 runs at 4.3ghz 1.325 just fine for 1 hour, hovering right around 78c.

How should I proceed? Is it the maximum possible with this cpu? Personally I am not satisfied with 92c ish on p95 custom 128kb-128kb with nh-d15 so i don't want to increase my voltage higher really. What would the best scenario would be? Should i go with 4.25ghz 1.325v? Could it be a badly mounted cpu cooler maybe?

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Welcome to the forum Flarayig!

What test are you running in P95? I would recommend the small FFTs test for testing your initial CPU stability. If it runs without errors for an hour and temps are acceptable then run the blend test. I avoid large FFTs on P95 as the temps are generally higher than real life scenarios. I switched to AIDA64 a few years back and have been happy with the results.

The NH-D15 is more than capable to cool an overclocked 3600X.

RJARRRPCGP

2 hours, in usually only acceptable for testing a stock CPU. Thus, I would go for at least 4 hours, for a CPU core OC.

Usually, too little Vcore, results in an error sooner than that, such as around 1 hour and 45 minutes or sooner.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
How are you going about setting your OC? Bios or software? And what have you changed, multipliers, bus speeds or both? I can run my 3600 at 4.44 prime stable, but it will get into the low 80s. Normally lately I run stock voltage and set it for 105 * 39.5 for 4147 MHz all-core. I also have all the cool'n'quiet \ speedstep like stuff disabled. Mainly because for some reason I can't set a multi higher than 40 in the BIOS, but have no issue at all doing so within windows.