• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All modern sockets will be dead this time next year not just A64 Socket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

Everyone is always saying DONT GET TEH A64 IT WILL BECOME A BUDGET SOCKET. Im sorry to inform you all but A64's socket is going to be around next year but not a single socket we use will be besides it.

Socket A will go the way of sockets before it and be strictly LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW budget 32bit processors. This will be the duron system for a while until A64's socket has been decided to become the next Duron system. So that means Socket A will be gone, it will be dead long before a64's socket too so theres no upgradability here.

Socket 478 is going the same place Socket A is. Socket 478 might support prescotts, WHEW A YEAR OF LIFE INTO A FADED ARCHITECTURE!! but that will also be dead half way through prescotts, maybe even less, since Socket T is near with oodles of features socket 478 doesnt offer.

Socket 940 is going to go server ONLY in a few months. THe upgrade path here is Opterons, which overclock horribly, and maybe the next 2 AFX's. After a few months 940 will turn into 939 and become the high end AMD system.

Socket A64(cant remember the number i think its 460 or something) WILL be around next year and will be budget based. It may be budget based but it will still be here leaving the best upgrade path, unless you consider opterons a nice upgrade path but they are so expensive. OH NO SINGLE CHANNEL RAM.. Wait it doesnt matter it still beats p4s.

Just because A64's socket is going budget doesnt mean there is NO upgrade path. A64 is the only socket we have now that will be around for a long time, well atleast for us gamers and overclockers. So just remember All 4 modern sockets we use now will all be moving away from the Enthusiast market in a year or so, so it doesnt matter which you buy since your upgrade path is gonna be fux0red.

eab

So you are saying that the only socket to be around in the next few years is the A64? Whats intel gonna use for the consumer level? Go back to slots?! Any way I replace my motherboard about once every 1-2 years any way so I am not gona worry about it.....

CrashOveride

I think he said socket T was gonna be for all of intel's stuff, cept old stuff... That may or may not inclued their lower level stuff like celerons and such?

Binow

Hrmm knowing this should I hold off on buying a new computer? What will I have to upgrade in the future, the mobo and cpu only?

JDXNC

Did you know people still use socket 7 to this day? So you see it takes time for a certain platform to "dissapear", all these sockets won't simply be gone by next year, or the year after, maybe not the year after that.

larva

Inactive Moderator
I can't really see why this matters so much, how much does a modern motherboard cost, anyway? I paid 50 bucks for my IS7-E refurb, and when S478 goes the way of the wind I'll gladly pay another 50-125 bucks for whatever it takes to facilitate the next performance level. Geez, motherboards are the best return on your upgrade investment of all. Don't look at like you might have to upgrade a motherboard, look at it that you get to. A new motherboard brings bountiful advantages, especially when it upgrades you to an entirely new platform at the same time.

Grasping for a way to maintain your existing board is tantamount to grasping for a way to preserve its limitations as well. Wise people buy the best bang for the buck at the present, ride it till it drops, and replace it with whatever offers the best bang for the buck at that time. It is foolish to obsess over exactly how long a time that might be, or to spend excess money at any point in the futile hopes that the increased expenditure will extend the effective lifespan of a particular part.

TimWest

Well stated Larva

When you think about it, there is always something upgraded on motherboards to make you want to get a new one anyway. Chipsets, memory type, expansions slots, you name it.

Binow

larva said:
I can't really see why this matters so much, how much does a modern motherboard cost, anyway? I paid 50 bucks for my IS7-E refurb, and when S478 goes the way of the wind I'll gladly pay another 50-125 bucks for whatever it takes to facilitate the next performance level. Geez, motherboards are the best return on your upgrade investment of all. Don't look at like you might have to upgrade a motherboard, look at it that you get to. A new motherboard brings bountiful advantages, especially when it upgrades you to an entirely new platform at the same time.

Grasping for a way to maintain your existing board is tantamount to grasping for a way to preserve its limitations as well. Wise people buy the best bang for the buck at the present, ride it till it drops, and replace it with whatever offers the best bang for the buck at that time. It is foolish to obsess over exactly how long a time that might be, or to spend excess money at any point in the futile hopes that the increased expenditure will extend the effective lifespan of a particular part.
I'd have no problem upgrading, I'm just curious what would have to be upgraded. If the cpu and mem and all with go into the new mobo thats fine. But I dont want to spend money now when I can just wait it out for a little and have the current hardware.

Spanko

i think your all missing the bigger picture, each of these new sockets isnt just a mobo change, its a videocard and memory change too, ddr2, and PCI X for both socket 939 and socket T. So it wont be 50-125 for a new mobo, it will be a whole system change, new cpu, memory, videocard, mobo, or dont updgrade at all.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Well said Larva :)

My socket A KT266A is gonna last me at least one more year, probably two :D I did a lot of research before buying the sucker, and AFAIK it's compatible with most everything on the market right now (even DDR400 unofficially :eek: ).

It will definatly have it's limitaitons (no dual channel, no PCI locks, no new CPU architecture), but it's strengths are letting it live a while longer. I may have to 'junk' everything when I transition, but it will have had a good long life beforehand :)

(PS: I don't think PCI Express is gonna be as big as people make it out... I'm sure theres gonna be PLENTY of boards with both for a long while :) )
JigPu

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
JigPu said:
My socket A KT266A is gonna last me at least one more year, probably two :D I did a lot of research before buying the sucker, and AFAIK it's compatible with most everything on the market right now (even DDR400 unofficially :eek: ).
Dear lord, you're really pushing that sucker for all it's worth.

The KT266A still has the best single-channel memory bandwidth per MHz of any AMD chipset, AFAIK.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
donny_paycheck said:

Dear lord, you're really pushing that sucker for all it's worth.

The KT266A still has the best single-channel memory bandwidth per MHz of any AMD chipset, AFAIK.

Kt800?

;)

On another note, in another year I'll probably have upgraded atleast once, and probably more like three times.

At any rate, even a P4 at 3.8ghz is comparable to an A64 at 2400mhz, so it's not like an A64 you buy today will be drastically outperformed by a prescott.

It'll get outperformed sure, but not by $1000 worth.

Zerileous

Of course everything will eventually become outdated. I just ordered a mobo and ram and proc. By July 4 05 i will be buying a new mobo wtih 1 agp slot and the rest PCI express and a new chip and DDRII or something. Then a little bit later i will be getting a PCI express vid card. Things become outdated but its never drastic. Around 1998 most mobos still had an ISA slot, the first PCI mobos were about half PCI and half ISA. Its not the end of the world when new standards come around.

Loud

Erhmm ... there's a revolution coming at us even faster than this one.

SATA

From what I read, IDE will go the way of the dodo very soon and very quickly.

Does anyone else remember how IDE burst onto the scene?