• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All the i920 4ghz + air cooler O/C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

laluby

Registered
Are all you guys running with your fan maxed, like i have a noctura 12 forget the exact name atm its in my sig, but when I do a prime95 stress test it will freeze at my temp getting 2 high, Now i have my fan running low speeds, Are you guys just blazing yours??

If not somethings up cause at like 1.26 vcore im still getting high 70's low 80's at a 3.8 ghz o/c

3line

The i7 is perfectly stable in the high 70s. It shouldn't be crashing because of heat. I've been priming for the past 18h with the temps at around 77C (this thing idles at 45-50 because of its proximity to the radiator).

Last edited:

Root5098

My i7's at 3.8GHz with vcore at 1.20v with Noctua UH12P air cooler (Same as you), I've got a HAF 932 case and at idle the temps are avg 35 per core.

At 100% load it only goes to mid 50's.

psionic98

if you crash on temps you're hittin 90+c.. most likely freezing is due to bad overclock..either memory or general volt issues..

4.0 is rough at 1.2v, you need to start at like 1.3ish area and work your volts down..at 1.2 you shouldn't get much past 3.6 give or take..i run 3.8 @ 1.26ish

temps for the i7 are save in the mid 70s, but when you start hitting 80s its time to rethink cooling/the oc in general

as everyone else has said, your case doesn't have the best cooling and will hold you back eventually

3line

as everyone else has said, your case doesn't have the best cooling and will hold you back eventually
That's really not an accurate statement. There's a very simple mod you can do to the p180 series that will create a direct wind channel centered on the processor.

kamabay.jpg

casewj0.jpg

The Cooler Master 4-in-3 also works well as well
coolermasterpackage.jpg

Last edited:
OP
L

laluby

Registered
Ok thx alot 3line now your talking, ok so i see that scythe fan on NCIX for 30 bucks which i will probably order but this is whats going on, I have 2 vantec standard sized fans 1 on the back and 1 in the front the spots that were prebuit. Now all i have is 1 dvd drive soo this new fan im buying would go in the empty 3 drive bays??

Cause this case has 4 drive bays on top and 4 on bot but i took the bot 1 out, and put in a stock fan.

Now there is also room for a small fan in the bot compartment were my HD is and my PSU.
Should i buy a little guy for that as well??

Also im trying your mentioned O/C and wondering on a few things
Should my qpi-Dram voltage match my cpu voltage?
What about my CPU PLL VOLTAGE? the lowest it can go is 1.81v

and what about my ioh voltage- says NB on this
ioh pci voltage
ich voltage- Says SB on this.
and ich pcie voltage
and dram bus voltage.

3line

Ok thx alot 3line now your talking, ok so i see that scythe fan on NCIX for 30 bucks which i will probably order but this is whats going on, I have 2 vantec standard sized fans 1 on the back and 1 in the front the spots that were prebuit. Now all i have is 1 dvd drive soo this new fan im buying would go in the empty 3 drive bays??

Cause this case has 4 drive bays on top and 4 on bot but i took the bot 1 out, and put in a stock fan.

Now there is also room for a small fan in the bot compartment were my HD is and my PSU.
Should i buy a little guy for that as well??

Also im trying your mentioned O/C and wondering on a few things
Should my qpi-Dram voltage match my cpu voltage?
What about my CPU PLL VOLTAGE? the lowest it can go is 1.81v

and what about my ioh voltage- says NB on this
ioh pci voltage
ich voltage- Says SB on this.
and ich pcie voltage
and dram bus voltage.

I own 2 antec P180 models. The only place where the scythe bay fan can fit is in the top 5.25" drive area. You can't fit it anywhere else in the case. I use the cooler master drive unit for this rig and the scythe bay fan for the other. I keep the fans under 1000 rpm because I like the quiet.

The voltages should not need to match. The northbridge should not go much over 1.35v, the specced max by intel.

I would leave the pci and pci-e voltage untouched, as well as the dram bus voltage. The southbridge voltage can be increased to about 1.3v safely, I think.

CPU-PLL voltage should be 1.88v

Last edited:
OP
L

laluby

Registered
Thx again which one would u perfer, is the scythe good enough cause i feel that is a cheaper easier install choice??

3line

Thx again which one would u perfer, is the scythe good enough cause i feel that is a cheaper easier install choice??
They're both quite easy. Just align the rails. The default scythe fan is slightly clicky, and the cooler master fan is an led fan, so if you don't like either of those, expect to replace it.

The scythe is a bit easier to service and clean, and comes with an air filter.

Unless you're looking to install drives in the top compartment (which I did for cable management reasons), the scythe's probably the better choice.

Last edited:
OP
L

laluby

Registered
hmm

Hmm my case came with a fan connection point in the dead center of the case, soo i put 1 there, are u talking about that spot for the scythe?? cause if soo i already got 1 there,

and damn my nb runs at under prime load conditions its hitting 83 c atm with the 1.35v setting which ive read on other o/c forums thats the ideal with crossfire gpu cards.

3line

Hmm my case came with a fan connection point in the dead center of the case, soo i put 1 there, are u talking about that spot for the scythe?? cause if soo i already got 1 there,

and damn my nb runs at under prime load conditions its hitting 83 c atm with the 1.35v setting which ive read on other o/c forums thats the ideal with crossfire gpu cards.

images

Top 5.25 bays, right under the dvd drive. Refer to the image. This should point straight at the CPU.

OP
L

laluby

Registered
nice exactly what i have, now i will probably order it right now. thx alot and my core nb was running at 87 on prime with no errors after 5 soo i just shut it down and lowered my nb volts to 1.32v instead of the 1.35 lol,

ive seen in stores these nb heat sinks and stuff but my gene ii already has 1, wonder what they would do. hmmm t

thx again bro

3line

nice exactly what i have, now i will probably order it right now. thx alot and my core nb was running at 87 on prime with no errors after 5 soo i just shut it down and lowered my nb volts to 1.32v instead of the 1.35 lol,

ive seen in stores these nb heat sinks and stuff but my gene ii already has 1, wonder what they would do. hmmm t

thx again bro

You might be able to dangle a fan using twisties over the northbridge hot spot. I remember doing that for makeshift memory cooling back in the day. See if that helps your temps.