• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All you guys wanting Skylake @ 5.00GHz your pissing in the wind

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really don't think this is going to discourage anyone from trying anyway...

I'm not hating I'm just tired of seeing "I want to push my Skylake to 5.0GHz. on air or AIO" Do these people no read numerous posts all over the web on this?

I would imagine if they did read it, they wouldn't be starting threads on it. So since they don't seem to know, we set expectations. Is 5ghz 24/7 likely on. Skylake? No, it certainly isn't, particularly with an AIO. That doesn't mean we don't help them try and see where they stand and temper set proper expectations. Someone hits the silicon lottery sometimes, right? :)

I would imagine if they did read it, they wouldn't be starting threads on it. So since they don't seem to know, we set expectations. Is 5ghz 24/7 likely on. Skylake? No, it certainly isn't, particularly with an AIO. That doesn't mean we don't help them try and see where they stand and temper set proper expectations. Someone hits the silicon lottery sometimes, right? :)

Sklake doesn't hit the lottery . It's limited to 4.8 without extreme volts. I''m not talking out my ***.

i hit 4.9ghz stable at 1.43v, since max is 1.52v its not TOO extreme ? i mean 5ghz is within the realm of possibility if i ever got a custom loop...

Last edited:
And that is one of the better chips by far. Asus says, from Intel supposedly, not to go over 1.42V for 24/7. Yet I've seen that 1.52V from intel, so who knows. Without a doubt, anything 4.8ghz and above is a rare bird, but it isn't a magic unicorn. It's been done with reasonable voltage before as you can see above. Im in the 1.47V range at 4.9ghz and 'bench' stable on multithreaded benches (see nearly all of my reviews) with my retail chip. It's just about setting expectations. As I said, I agree with the message, but the delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

And that is one of the better chips by far. Asus says, from Intel supposedly, not to go over 1.42V for 24/7. Yet I've seen that 1.52V from intel, so who knows. Without a doubt, anything 4.8ghz and above is a rare bird, but it isn't a magic unicorn. It's been done with reasonable voltage before as you can see above. Im in the 1.47V range at 4.9ghz and 'bench' stable on multithreaded benches (see nearly all of my reviews) with my retail chip. It's just about setting expectations. As I said, I agree with the message, but the delivery leaves a lot to be desired.
Yeah I'm an ***. As has been proven numerous times. I'm surprised I'm not a victim of the bad hammer. I'll try to be more congenial.

I like your message, I also think some things don't happen. With grater clock speed generation comes more current, it seem like from sandy bridge to skylake 1.3v is 4.5GHz on the average and voltage, clock speed goes up from there.

Not in this place. You may as well have posted a reward for it. LMAO

This +1

Yeah I'm an ***. As has been proven numerous times. I'm surprised I'm not a victim of the bad hammer. I'll try to be more congenial.

No one said you're anything, but as said above if you post something with the content "you can't do X/Y/Z" i bet you there will be a few who will try regardless just to prove you wrong/check if its true.

I like your message, I also think some things don't happen. With grater clock speed generation comes more current, it seem like from sandy bridge to skylake 1.3v is 4.5GHz on the average and voltage, clock speed goes up from there.

In Rog Forums the standard Skylake OC test is to start from 1.35v 4.6ghz and go from there :thup:

f849f315a608df269825c4a194d32784.jpg

IMO its like this, no one knows or can predict what a particular cpu, motherboard , ram etc will do or how good or bad theyre gunna be, luck of the draw really, except if your priveldged of being in the know from the big makers and supply it / them to you with a tested guarantee what they do , its about as simple as that
the silicone lottery is about as good as the silicone world we live in now, take the best you get from it and do the best you can with it, and that doesnt just apply to a cpu !!!!!

Motherboard manufacturers are assuming that 1.42V is max safe voltage. I'm not sure where is the source of this info as I doubt that anyone tested CPUs in really long full load tests. Anyway 1.52V is max voltage specified by Intel in CPU documents. Many motherboards have 1.52V max in BIOS and you can't set more or higher voltage is available only with additional offset.
Really Intel is not testing CPUs for max safe voltage. They never could tell what is max safe voltage regardless of CPU generation. I think they are calculating material lifespan and given TDP at maximum temperature or something like that.
All data is in official documents but it still doesn't prove that they tested it in long 24/7 work at maximum or nearly maximum voltage.
Each year hardware tests are shorter and we see more and more design flaws.

I think that all want to make that 5GHz as before premiere press/marketing was shouting that skylake will be able to make 5GHz on air. In some reviews there were chips that could reach 5GHz but for reviews barely anyone is testing stability.
I can make 4.9GHz ~1.45V on my i3 and it will pass 2h+ AIDA or some other tests ... but will crash in some games.
Based on my tests and skylake voltage scalling I simply won't believe that someone made 5GHz fully stable on air/water and 1.5V+. CPU will reach temps at which will be unstable.

Motherboard manufacturers are assuming that 1.42V is max safe voltage. I'm not sure where is the source of this info
As I already said, this was from ASUS which was from Intel. It was from a Skylake OC guide reviewers got at launch time.

I know. I saw the same materials and not only ASUS says that 1.42V is max safe. It's because of documents which they got from Intel ... but again I doubt that Intel even tested it, that's why I said I'm not sure about the source of this "max safe voltage". The same was with SB or IB. Intel reps were not sure how it was tested, they got docs saying that this or that voltage is max safe.
DDR3 max safe voltage was 1.50V in docs while most memory kits were 1.65V and we still see questions on the forums about that.

I would say with Skylake hitting 4.8ghz at all seems to be what you call winning the lottery as there's many that simply don't. Anything 4.8ghz or above that is bonus, high voltage or not ?

Back