• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Allowing The Graphics Card To Use RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masakabassist

Hey all,
I recently bought a XFX 8800GTS 320mb. At the time I was using a 17" monitor with a resolution of 1280x1024. I have just bought a new 20" monitor (HP 2007v) and it seems like this card is suffering a little during games like Crysis, STALKER and even Oblivion!!! I'm tempted to say this is due to a lack of memory on the card. If the latter holds true is there a way to allow the card to use more of my RAM (as in the sticks that slot into the motherboard, not the RAM on the graphics card)? If there is a way of doing this, would it result in increased performance?

Specs are in my sig.

One Bull

There used to be options in the bios for that, should be at pci refresh rate settings (or whatever it was, I've been out for a while) I don't know if your mobo has such a feature.

Usually the option allows you to set the amount of ram used by you gpu. There is a sweet spot (too little and your gpu will suffer, too much an your cpu will suffer) but it's kinda indiviual for each setup so you should just run 3d mark on each setting and see which setting scores highest.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I was always under the impression it was the AGP aperture size. But I'm completely unsure.
I think you are correct.

The card will use as much RAM as it needs, hence the slowdown. If it ran out of memory and was not allowed to use system memory, it would just crash.

OP
masakabassist

masakabassist

I think you are correct.

The card will use as much RAM as it needs, hence the slowdown. If it ran out of memory and was not allowed to use system memory, it would just crash.

I understand. Looks like im going to have to invest in more RAM. I think I've hit my max overclock and can't afford to upgrade the CPU as well and im sure that is bottle necking the data.

Thanks guys :)