• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alpha HSF Not Helping !!!!! Need Help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buff

Hey Everybody, Here's the problem. I have a PIII 550 on a Asus P3B-F mobo running 100/5.5 i just replaced factory hsf w/Alpha hs and dual super fans ( very thin coat thermal ) also have case fan and slot fan on. MBM reading 34-40 c. I can also run Asus probe and readings will be 21-27 c but Cpu maxes too 100 % constant.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP !!!!!

first off why do you say it didnt help?? alsssssso where is the probe at ,if its at the bottom of the slot ,it will get a higher temp if the sink is working better as it will put off more heat

surlyjoe (Jan 21, 2001 07:23 p.m.):
first off why do you say it didnt help?? alsssssso where is the probe at ,if its at the bottom of the slot ,it will get a higher temp if the sink is working better as it will put off more heat
First thing, thanks for the reply. Now i said it didn't help b/c the temp is the same as with the factory hsf, as far as the local of the probe, i was refering to the Asus probe SOFTWARE not an actual probe per se.
Thanks

The 550E (which I assume you are running) only radiates 14.5 Watts. A heatsink with a C/W of 0.41 means that you would get an increase of 6 deg C over ambiant. A heatsink with a C/W of 0.345 means that you would get an increase of 5 deg C over ambiant. A heatsink with a C/W of 0.276 means that you would get an increase of 4 deg C over ambiant.

A total of 1~2 deg C difference de[ending on the heatsink.

Now possible answers to your case are:

1. That it is well within the measuring tolerances of the probe.

2. Fluctuations in the ambiant temperature could explain the differences.

Personally, I am not sure that an Alpha helps that much (if at all) with CPUs that radiate so few Watts. IMO, the Alpha is not worth the money in such cases.

In cases where the CPU is radiating a lot of heat (50+W), the Alpha is king.

Thank you Lifeguard 1999 and all others for your help. I have switched to Hardware Monitor Pro and am now getting readings between 22-26 C.
Thanks

Back