• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alpha PAL8092T/Swiftech MCX478 and the Asus P4T-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
Just want to make sure before I go and buy any of them.....

Has anyone had any problems installing a Swiftey MCX478 or an Alpha PAL8092T on a Asus P4T-E? If so what and how, if it was, was it corrected.

No help but I'm looking at those TWO for the same Mobo!! Also looking at maybe the Thermaltake Volcano 7+.

Dont go with the Thermaltake, already tried that route, will not fit with the retaining clip on the board. Sits off of the CPU....

CyberFed,
What are you using to check your temps? I'm using MBM(latest download) but the temp is WAY lower than the Asus probe...so I adjusted MBM to = Asus probe....maybe that is my problem? As my 1.6A @ 2272 is 60C(Hours of gaming) !! Both Stock and AVC HSFan.

Also how's the noise with the Swiftech??

Last edited:
I have the Swifty as well and very pleased it. I am running 133fsb with RDRAM 4X (finally). Pures like a Kitty for me. 31c idle and 38c full load. Installation is more difficult than your average HS/F combo, but the results speak for themself. Good luck.

I'm using the Asus probe / MBM but am at 1.7 volts too. I've got the Alpha 8942T on its way :) I'll be using the Sunon 50cfm I already have.

Last edited:
My p4 [email protected] stock/hsf was at 50c idle with asus probe, 35c idle with mbm5 and bios. So if your worried about getting a new heatsink because of temps, asus probe doesn't always read correctly. Use something else to verify. Anyway, just posting to try and save you some money. Use your retail hsf and you can still get a decient overclock on that board. Your 1.8a should do 2.4ghz with everything @ 133mhz, and cause no extra heat problems. These northwoods run pretty cool a this fsb(133). By the way, if you are willing to spend, the Swifty's the best performer, but the alpha is half the price, and is a good heatsink. I have the alpha 8942 on this machine now and although my temps are a little lower, you don't need it uless you want to go higher than above mentioned. I keep mine @ 133fsb with a papst 12dba fan, cool(enough) and quiet too.

elmbruker,
What I did is stressed my CPU then checked the Asus Probe temp....say it was 60C....I then shutdown and got into the BIOS to check the hardware monitro right away. It would show like 58C. When using MBM5 I had to "adjust" the CPU temp up 21C !! Or it would give me REALLY low temps which I know could not be right! Is this how YOU checked your BIOS temp?? I also did this same thing at idel. The BIOS and Asus probe where very close (45C Idel) while MBM5 would show 24C at idel! Hence the 21C adjustment.
My Alpha 8942 is due tomorrow :)
Again I'm running my 1.6A at 1.7v and 2272Mhz. I'll be pushing for more fsb when I get the Alpha on ;)

Back