• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Already! Linux is TEH FUSSY!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pengO

I just got my 256 megs of Crucial and 350 watt PSU in the mail today, so I decided to power up my PC and install Linux.

I downloaded Disk 1 of the Mandrake 9.0 install, and proceeded to completely set it up. I took my time choosing packages, and everything. This is the first computer I've actually paid for and built myself.

So, I reboot after the installation, and the bootloader (GRUB, I think.) gives me 4 options. (linux, linux-vga or something, something else, and floppy) I choose "linux," and it says "program too big to load into memory." So, I proceed to run through the other options, and none of them work. I thought that 256 megs of Crucial was more than enough to run Mandrake 9! Am I wrong here, or is my GRUB just setup wrong?

I could really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

On a side note: I was installing my HSF, and I neglected the thermal paste. Temps were about 100deg. F. Rubbed on some paste, and temps immediately dropped to 85 or so. I guess that stuff is important! :rolleyes:

David

Forums Super Moderator
pengO said:

So, I reboot after the installation, and the bootloader (GRUB, I think.) gives me 4 options. (linux, linux-vga or something, something else, and floppy) I choose "linux," and it says "program too big to load into memory." So, I proceed to run through the other options, and none of them work. I thought that 256 megs of Crucial was more than enough to run Mandrake 9! Am I wrong here, or is my GRUB just setup wrong?

The other option is linux-smp I think.

Anyway, the main issue with the ''program too big to load into memory''. Make sure there is no 'memory hole' setting in your BIOS. Also try a Linux rescue CD type distro to see if you can edit your GRUB config, or at least try to identify the problem.

David

OP
P

pengO

Sorry for being vague in my description. This is my first real experience with installing Linux.

I decided to reinstall it, and it worked! Booted to GNOME and looked around. Thanks for your help anyways!

naif

If it says "program too big to load into memory.", there's something wrong with the kernel. Try reinstalling Mandrake again and see wheather if it gives you an option to select a different kernel. Try out all the available(if at all avaiable for you to specify) kernels until one works.

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
Mandrake doesn't like grub too much, you should have used LILO it's the default, not sure why it's giving that error though..

edit: glad it's working now :cool: