• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative Water Pumps ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rmh_ozzie

ok i live in australia and i don't have 100 bux for a crappy little 100L/PH pump so i've been trying to think of something else i can use. now i have an old banged up dishwasher in my shed and i was wondering if i could use 2 of the 240V pumps in it or 2 washing machine pumps ? will these create enough flow?
or dose anyone have any other ideas of pumps i can get for under $50 AU ?

512Mb DDR 2100 Ram
:beer:

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Holy Smokes!
A washing machine pump or a dishwasher pump will do much more than you might think. Most will run a couple thousand litres per hour easy, and at a pretty good pressure and head height too. You must look out for the rating on the pump, you want a constant duty pump, so it doesn't run too hot and sieze up/die quickly.
To use one of these, I'd go with 5/8" or even 3/4" inside diameter tubing and hose clamps all the way around. It can/has been done though if you can get a cyclone 5 with those big hose barbs on it.

Again, wow...And a big Welcome to the Forums!

OP
R

rmh_ozzie

ok thanks .. so i would only need one ?
i was thinking of running it with a homemade W/B and radiator was also thinking of maby making a water chiller if i can find an old mini fridge or something. anyways what sort of pump do i need so it dosn't burn up ? can i cool it with a fan ?
also can i like lower the voltage so i only pump like 2-300 litres P/H or should i leave it going at what it dose .. will too fast make it not pick the heat up off of the W/B ?

Huckleberry

If you're in the land of Oz, then you may be able to easily get evaporative cooler parts. They utilize (ok, for you I'll spell it utilise) inexpensive centrifugal wanter pumps that have at least a 1m head. Various sizes are available too.

frostmeister

I don't know if central heating is common in your part of australia, but I saw a central heating pump in a DIY store the other day. I think it was at least 500 L/H and had 5metres head on it. Sweeeeet...

[edit] just saw you're from queensland. Not much need for central heating there I take it... [/edit]