• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminum can video card ramsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adamu

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now. How effective would it be to use the sides of a coke can as video card ramsinks? They would be very thin, but if I made them long enough and had multiple fins I think they should work well enough. I have no need to do this right now, but if someone else wants to use this idea feel free to give it a try. :)

Here's a quick drawing I made to show a possible way to set this up. I hope it's not too confusing. This was just a quick illustration and if I ever make some of these myself it will have more fins. It's viewed from the side.

White = Aluminum strips
Blue = Thermal epoxy
Red = Ram chip

Ramsink.gif

Cheesy Peas

that looks pretty weird on the picture?... is it to any sort of scale coz that aluminium looks huge

you could get a strip and keep the middle flat and then bend the two sides into waves that might be pretty good

OP
A

Adamu

The pic isn't in any scale, I just drew it as an example. I would try and make the strips as long as I possibly could though to increase surface area.

Your idea would probably work well and wouldn't be as long (assuming you had more of those stacked on top of each other). It would also be sturdier than mine. Good idea. ;)

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i would think that the ramsinks made of an aluminum can side would probably be too thin to make a whole lot of a difference. if you check out those you can buy, they seem pretty thick and those are made of stuff like copper. i just can't see getting much out of some aluminum from a can. it wouldn't really be worth the tiny increase IMO. what video card are you hoping to put this on? just curious. who knows... maybe i am wrong and the thin aluminum might work...

OP
A

Adamu

mbentley said:
what video card are you hoping to put this on?
Right now I don't have any plans to try this on a video card since my current one came with ramsinks. I just wanted to get input as to how well it would work.

If I remember correctly JigPu used only super glue and staples for ramsinks and has the second highest memory speed here for a 8500LE:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125340

If just staples stuck on with superglue can do that, I think aluminum can ramsinks with thermal epoxy should work much better.

The main advantage of using aluminum cans is that they're nearly free. I also remember seeing a recipe for makeing thermal epoxy out of regular epoxy and thermal grease. It was somewhere on the Overclockers.com main site but I can't find it. JBweld also conducts heat. If you already had all of those things you would be able to make ramsinks for free. But if i were going to use this on one of my future video cards (especially an expensive one) I would use Artic Alumina thermal epoxy.

EgeWorks

I'm using thin Al for my ramsinks, admitted they're not made from a can but they work great. The Al is about twice as thick as can material and the fins are about 15mm long, there are three of them on each base.

Ugmore Baggage

When you add metal objects to your case either use metal that is stiff enough to resist bending if bumped/pressed or be constantly aware of it when working in your case. If it bends and shorts something out -- you lose.

country_3030

What about staple like you would use in a staple gun. Put them on with a little Artic Silver Epoxy. I think the can would work great if done right. Now where did that staple gun go???

Deadphishy

i made ramsinks that look just like a flowersink, from my retail heatsink. i made a post and said i post pictures but i've been really bussy since i'm training for the state compition in cross country. i'll try to get the pic posted asap and i'll make a thread.

cack01

Namagomi said:

uh... you know that pennies are only copper coated, and are mostly zinc, right? ok. good. just checking. :beer:

Well, the pennies got warm, so they did there job to an extent. I mainly use them to test if I need sinks or not.