• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aluminum kits by EK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
You read that title right. EK is selling Aluminum kits and warning folks not to mix it with copper based custom loops. I think 90+% of the custom water cooling market is copper/nickle based. Their kits were made to be affordable as they say. I don't know wth they were thinking but who's ever idea this was, was not so genius to be frank. This product line is going to tarnish their rep and lots of cooling gear will get destroyed because of these kits and not realize the galvanic corrosion happening in their loop because they mixed aluminum with other metals like copper, nickel and or brass.

A lot of heated debates have risen during the past few weeks with the launch of our newest Fluid Gaming water cooling lineup, which is made of all aluminum parts. So we just thought this might be a perfect opportunity for a new episode of “Fun Facts” where we will try cover this subject from all possible angles. - EK

Aluminum vs. Copper

EK Fluid Gaming sets

I thought this was a joke when I first saw it . How much cheaper are then then the copper versions ? I cant see it being a big change in the price so not worth it just save another week/month to get the copper version

Both blocks & rad aluminum. Ugh. I'm wondering how good it will cool both a cpu and a Pascal Gpu. For a few dollars more I'd go full copper and remove that little voice in my head that keeps asking "will this be ok to use long term? Will my parts be safe?" :rofl:

Aesthetically it does look like a nice kit tho, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

that lil baby rez looks like it would be a pain to fill , but it seems to work fine in the the temps ( wish he has used a intel to makes more more heat as the ryzens are fine even with the stock hsf) . But if it gets more ppl into a hobby i have enjoyed for years I think it is a good thing .

For the target audience of the kit, what else is there? An AIO or other custom bundle?

At one UK seller, I see the A240 listed at £160. This compares to EK's own S240 kit not much more at £177, the P240 kit at £280, and X240 at £290. The S240 is sold as a compact kit, so I think it uses a thinner rad than their other kits, although it has been a while since I compared them (I went with the P-series). So, the S240 is only slightly more.

I find it interesting the A240G is listed at £240. If you have a supported GPU (many reference design Pascal boards listed) it does seem a handy one stop bundle. To go S240 + additional waterblock (for any supported card) and accessories (extra tubing, connectors) you're probably looking at closer to £300.

The other question if a 240mm rad enough for a Pascal, I think it is on the assumption you're not voltage overclocking.

At this moment, only three Fluid Gaming kits are available, two radiator sizes, one fitting and tubing size etc. But guess what. In the near future that will change. - EK

Looks like they'll be investing more into this. I think its a horrible idea. Accidental nightmares waiting to happen once people expand their loops with those kits or maybe, purchase them individually if EK chooses to go that route.

When I read this news, I had a dejavu moment. TT comes to mind.

Meh, I can hack and slash together a pretty inexpensive system using already available copper parts. Ill pass.

I was scrolling down this thread looking for the "just kidding!" post but sadly none found. I'm sure ek will come out with some special high dollar liquid only for this kit that only ek sells and approves. Just like they say use their special pre-mix liquids so their waterblocks don't lose plating rather than fix the problem.

Give it a month or two and we will have multiple people posting how fantastic they are and recommending all new w/c users to buy it. I'll stick with copper.

i guess we will have to wait for folks to post their experiences with these aio systems. they look well built but of course you cant read a book...
im sure the first complaints for the cpu/gpu loops are going to be , why cant i get anymore out of my oc?!
i agree i have a bad feeling about this line up.

You might as well get 2 aio's and save another $50-70
The aio's by asetek use aluminum rads anyway so not a big difference.

I don't think this is bad at all. As long as all of the parts in the loop are aluminum, there won't be any corrosion due to mixed metals. EK has been doing this a long time, so I'm sure they're very particular about the grade of aluminum they're using.

that lil baby rez looks like it would be a pain to fill , but it seems to work fine in the the temps ( wish he has used a intel to makes more more heat as the ryzens are fine even with the stock hsf) . But if it gets more ppl into a hobby i have enjoyed for years I think it is a good thing .

That's an Intel X99 rig man. Memory sticks on both sides of the socket? To add to that, this 240mm solution can keep a GPU and CPU cool? Is anyone else a little confused?

Times change. GTX, remember when you PREACHED DISTILLED AND A BIOCIDE OMG!!!!!!

We'll wait and see I guess. Us old timers will wait for the world to end before we use these parts. We grew up drinking out of a yard hose. Well I did, I'm older than most here.

Times change. GTX, remember when you PREACHED DISTILLED AND A BIOCIDE OMG!!!!!!

We'll wait and see I guess. Us old timers will wait for the world to end before we use these parts. We grew up drinking out of a yard hose. Well I did, I'm older than most here.

Yeah and I don't preach it no more! :rofl: Reason being is some gear doesn't sit well with just distilled and biocide. I'm a premix clear guy now while not trying to save $20 in return oxidizing the crap out of my blocks and fittings.

I'm still on Distilled and Silver kill coil but have plans to switch over to clear premix at my next maintenance tear down (soon actually).

I think this new EK set-up will work OK out of the box but have strong concerns for the future and I am more than a little concerned what this will do to EK reputation. I doubt this kit will provide much more cooling or OC headroom than high quality air cooling being that it is only a 240 rad for CPU & GPU. Users are going to want to further their cooling and OC and will want to expand, after all more radiator surface is king. If EK offers individual components than that is fine but there will most definitely be users who just grab a cheap used copper rad because they had one laying around or found it cheap on eBay. This WILL cause more than one headache for everyone involved. Mostly EK I fear.

Edit: I think it's funny that they ask for comments at the end but don't post them. I posted a question for them a few days ago and it's still not posted. Maybe in time it will.

:shrug: I see no issues with it. Just like any watercooling product, it's as good as the person building the loop.
If someone is going to mix metals, they'll do it whether the base kit they're using is copper or aluminum.

Back