• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aluminum or good quality antec case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tutrinh

Hi,
I will be overclock the system with P4 2.5Ghz. I just sold my old Antec SX830 case. Now I need a bigger case. I am on tight budget and don't need power supply since I got one.
I am down to either the chieftec/chenming alumnimum or Antec Performance II ( steel )
What should I go for???

I personally like steel cases as I feel they are much more durable. Aluminum cases tend to flex a decent bit. If you ever plan to set something heavy on your computer, a steel case would be a better bet. Aluminum isn't really worth the premium in price, IMO.

i'd second a steel case if it was an antec one like you mentioned. other steel cases can get cheap but those antec/chieftec ones are pretty nice. i plan on getting one myself.

HINT: look under chieftec. same case for less cash.

I am confused. The picture of the case are same or similar but price are really different.
Antec Performance PLUS1080AMG Full Tower Case $198
Antec Performance SX10000 II Mid Tower Case $83 - it said midtower but it is a full one. Has the door like SX1040.
Antec PerformanceII SX1040II Full Tower Case $147
I live in Canada, so the currency is canadian dollar
I plan to get the second one since I already had my old power. What you guys think? If the second one is not good, I will choose the other and sell my old power.

tutrinh said:
Hi,
I will be overclock the system with P4 2.5Ghz. I just sold my old Antec SX830 case. Now I need a bigger case. I am on tight budget and don't need power supply since I got one.
I am down to either the chieftec/chenming alumnimum or Antec Performance II ( steel )
What should I go for???

I'm not sure what you think you are accomplishing. The SX830 is the exact same Chen Ming made tower your are referring to as the cheiftec. The Performance II is the same case as well, just comes fitted with a True Power power supply. The only differences is the SX830 only has one internal cage for 3.5" hard drives instead of two, and doesn't have that horrid door you have to fool with every time you want to access the drives. I transplanted the 830 faceplate to a 1030 case (identical save the addition of the second drive cage), but I've never actually used the second cage. I just swapped out the metal because I could. In retrospect I shouldn't have bothered, as drives hold so much you don't need a bunch of them, but 3 years ago when I got the case 120 GB drives were still a dream.

Forget the cheap aluminum case, they are filmsy and flex quite a bit. They are often very poorly made.

If you have limited budget, go with a decent steel case.

Aluminum case is more for style than anything else.

I've often wondered about Cheiftec cases and how they are cheaper than Antec's and if they cut corners or is it really to Antec specs? I say that, since the 1030/1040 antecs are Antec design and spec'd, just made by chen ming from Antec's design/specs since Antec designs but don't make their own cases.

Myrdhinn said:
I've often wondered about Cheiftec cases and how they are cheaper than Antec's and if they cut corners or is it really to Antec specs? I say that, since the 1030/1040 antecs are Antec design and spec'd, just made by chen ming from Antec's design/specs since Antec designs but don't make their own cases.

All the cases are made by Chen Ming, and to the same design. They are exactly the same, save for details like the front panel firewire and USB ports, some models don't have them. Antec merely resells the exact same case Chieftec is selling and the exact same case that can be bought under the Chen Ming name for less money. I buy whaterver has the front panel connectors if I need them and try to get one withouth a power supply so I can take advantage of the value of a 31 dollar 350 Fortron.

larva said:

All the cases are made by Chen Ming, and to the same design. They are exactly the same, save for details like the front panel firewire and USB ports, some models don't have them. Antec merely resells the exact same case Chieftec is selling and the exact same case that can be bought under the Chen Ming name for less money. I buy whaterver has the front panel connectors if I need them and try to get one withouth a power supply so I can take advantage of the value of a 31 dollar 350 Fortron.

As an alternative- AOpen sells a couple of relatively cheap midtower cases, which are pretty decent as well and come stock with those Fortron 300/350W 120mm fan power supplies. Might be a good idea if you're not able to get a separate FSP supply easily or without getting pricy shipping fees. I've bought one of these cases a while ago for only about 80 euro. Seemed a good value.

The H500A 300W is probably the cheapest of these:

http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h500-series.htm

Also:

http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h600-series.htm
http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/A600-series.htm

but the models above 350W aren't using a 120mm fan (yet).

FIZZ3 said:

As an alternative- AOpen sells a couple of relatively cheap midtower cases, which are pretty decent as well and come stock with those Fortron 300/350W 120mm fan power supplies. Might be a good idea if you're not able to get a separate FSP supply easily or without getting pricy shipping fees. I've bought one of these cases a while ago for only about 80 euro. Seemed a good value.

The H500A 300W is probably the cheapest of these:

http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h500-series.htm

Also:

http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h600-series.htm
http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/A600-series.htm

but the models above 350W aren't using a 120mm fan (yet).

I've used those cases, for school system machines. They are nice enough for that but kind of thin and weak for an overclocker. A decent really cheap case, but as reasonably as the Chen Ming's are priced these days there's no reason to put up with a pop can.

I really don't like Aopen case. Antec was really good.
I am getting SX1000II

larva said:

I've used those cases, for school system machines. They are nice enough for that but kind of thin and weak for an overclocker. A decent really cheap case, but as reasonably as the Chen Ming's are priced these days there's no reason to put up with a pop can.

Certainly, the focus is on cheap, no contest there.

Not sure whether "overclockers" frequently sit on their PC case, but my main concern would be airflow. With the AOpen series of cases, you could mount a 120mm front intake with some modding but given the case width (200mm), you might have to stick with 92mm fans in the rear. I think this goes for the most common ChenMing/Chieftec/Antec cases too though.
All in all, it's a pretty good deal IMHO, compared to some other 80mm stock fan designed cases with difficult front covers etc.

I don't know how much ChenMings run in the USA, but one can't get them at all in the Netherlands (!). Chieftecs are very common here though. It's a pity that some of these better case brands can't be had here locally (Lite-On neither), because shipping is a pain on cases.

Back