• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Always check your O-Rings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I just completed my annual tear down, clean, and rebuild. I also decided to reroute my tubing a little bit to take some stress out between my res and pump. In order to do it the way I wanted required a dual rotary 90 fitting mounted to the bottom of my res. In the bottom of the Swiftech MCRES V2, there is a recess that the stop fitting usually goes into, which I had originally had an acrylic stop fitting in, with a green LED. Not thinking about this recess, I just mounted up the dual rotary without thinking about this recess. Once I got everything together, I started filling the res when I noticed a drip. I checked everything, then realized I forgot about that recess. Luckily, I remembered I still have all of the Swiftech parts that came with the res, so I took one of the thicker O-Rings off one of the old stop fittings, and swapped it onto the rotary, and so far, an hour later no leaks. It's a good thing I caught it before I fired up the rig.

As a side note, setting 3 on a Laing D5 Vario with the D5 mod top from Bitspower is still a beastly amount of pressure. :bday:

Thanks for sharing deadlysyn...that would indeed be a, wait for it..., deadly thing to miss. We must always remember check and double-check!

It wasn't a bad leak. Just a drip every few seconds. Luckily the water was just hitting the case floor. Being an Antec 900, the only thing down there that could have taken damage would have been the PSU. I was kind of worried that the Swiftech O-Rings were going to give me trouble being thicker rubber than the ones that come with the Bitspower fittings, but it actually fit quite nicely.

With the tubing being rerouted this way, I was able to eliminate a tight bend in the line feeding my pump, which made bleeding much quicker. On top of that, I also got my Bitspower Acrylic Mod Top V2 mounted on the pump, and turned the pump down to setting 3. Even at this lower setting, opposed to setting 5, this D5 Vario moves a lot of water.

For me i always have to glance over at my case to make sure the res has the same amount of water :D, i get worried. If you think about it, we have 2 enemies in our cases, water and circuit boards

And check that the oring on the oil plug is installed. Having 5 quarts of engine oil running down the driveway is rather... Ack. Yep, 1987. Maybe even putting the plug in first is a good idea too.............

Also something to remember if you use hose clamps check to make sure they are tight with my new build I had tightened down the clamps nice and tight but on 2 of the clamps i noticed that while I had screwed them all the way down they were still loose and on Saturday i fired up some BF3 and after playing for a couple of hours i looked over to my other monitor and saw my CPU running at 95c! so i hit the power switch and looked inside and a hose slipped off the barb on my rad and water was every were except the mobo i got really lucky on that one. just another thing to remember.

Back