• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i crazy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stampy

Ive been thinking lately about fan placement. Ive got a xclio case. i know every body hates them BUT! mine is modified and i feel it makes it a much better case with the mods Ive done. I'm almost done with it all, I just need to find some powerful 140mm fans, which i haven't found yet (100cfm each would be nice), and cut some holes in the top of my case for exhaust. first off, people always say that the rear fan in a case should be used as exhaust, well i just don't get it. 1 heat rises. so the exhaust fan should be nearest the top, like the antec 900. 2 when you have a cpu heat sink that has a fan blowing down onto the cpu and other components near by, why would you wont a fan very close to it sucking air out of the case? wouldn't the 2 fans fight for air in that space? any way here are the pics of my case.

1. every body knows what they look like but i though i take a pic any way. 1 thing though its a big case! probably not the biggest but its got plenty of space for me.
IMG00069.jpg

2.this next one is the first thing i modified. I took the hdd cages out cause 1 they totally kill the air flow of the front fan and 2 i didn't need like 6hdd slots. So i drill out about 12-14 rivets and pop the hdd cage comes out. great air flow now!. my hdd is now mounted in one of the internal A drive slots that i don't use.
IMG00071.jpg

3. the next mod i did was just for the hell of it:). the front fan is so big that it doesn't even fit in the case so what xclio did was just make little unfuctional scoops on the side to cover up the gap left buy the front fan. well what i did was to cut out the front of the scoop here
IMG00073.jpg

and then cut a nice big hole on the side panel to kind of funnel more air into the case. does it work :confused: don't know but at least the scoops are functional now :).
IMG00072.jpg

4. the last mod I've done so far was the easiest. i flipped the power supply upside down so it would suck air through the vent on the top of the case. the only way i could mount my psu was the 120mm fan was facing down pulling the air away from the cpu. so i cut 2 notches out of the mounting plate that mounts to psu and flipped it upside down and screwed the mounting plate with the psu attached to the case. the notches were cut because the plate hit the support bars that attach to the 5.25 drive bays. sorry its a horrid pic!
IMG00075.jpg

Looks like a good idea all around. I wouldn't have flipped the PSU though.

Nice work, just a couple comments...
- typically the front fan is low and used to bring in cool air. The rear fan is usually higher up to exhaust warm air. Front-to-back airflow, smooth and simple.
- when you had your PSU with the fan sucking air from the case, it was working as an additional exhaust. The way you have it set up now may run your PSU cooler, but has eliminated a potential exhaust point from the overall system.

Nice work, just a couple comments...
- typically the front fan is low and used to bring in cool air. The rear fan is usually higher up to exhaust warm air. Front-to-back airflow, smooth and simple.
- when you had your PSU with the fan sucking air from the case, it was working as an additional exhaust. The way you have it set up now may run your PSU cooler, but has eliminated a potential exhaust point from the overall system.

I think he mentioned cutting exhaust fans into the top.

That looks like alot of air blowing in but none blowing out. I'd flip that PSU back the right way, have that back fan blowing out, and whatever else fans you put blowing out.

as far as exhaust goes i changed it up alittle bit, i was going to run 2 140mm fans but the lack of high performace fans in that size made me change my mind, instead I'm going to run 3 100cfm 120x38mm fans on the top of my case.

lol well i figure the more air flow through the case the better cooling i should be able to achieve. and fans are cheap!

lol well i figure the more air flow through the case the better cooling i should be able to achieve. and fans are cheap!
Through the case... exactly. For good airflow, you need some semblance of balance between intake and exhaust. On another note, you must wear headphones all the time you're near your rig, 3x100 cfm is gonna be LOUD!

Through the case... exactly. For good airflow, you need some semblance of balance between intake and exhaust. On another note, you must wear headphones all the time you're near your rig, 3x100 cfm is gonna be LOUD!

the fans i have picked out are 87cfm sorry i though there were 100. right now i have a 3000rpm ultra kaze which is rated at 45.9db for exhaust mounted in 3 5.25" slots in a scythe kuma bay. the 3 2000rpm ultra kaze fans are rated at 32.91db, with 3 of them ill be seeing around 38.91db. thats not at all that bad.

38.91db is going to be around 3 or 4 times louder than 32.91db as the decibel scale is logarithmic.

Also I believe delta has brought out a 240cfm fan (under the AFB line I think) that runs quieter than the 220cfm fan, but lacks the directional blades (which helps eliminate the dead spot)

Back