• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i pushing my chip too hard?? plse help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

am i pushing my AthlonXP 1600+ too hard?? pls help!

Hey peepz, my comp is perfectly stable after overnight prime95 torture tests but when i saw MBM5 :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!

Look at the pic

screenshot

ive heard lots of times that as long its not extreme oc (like 1.8+ vCore and 50%+ overclock) the chip wont get unstable until its too hot. Im ok as long as real temps are sub 50 since ambient temps here in mex are pretty hot, but real 58º is uncomfortable...

The sensor used is the supposed integrated CPU on-die sensor, this temps still look unaccurate since i can touch the heatsink and it does feel warm but not as much as i cant tolerate.

Pls tell me, should i play it easy and lower the FSB to 166???

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
id unlock the chip and find a lower multi to raise the fsb upto at least what is at now ,then you can lower the voltage a bit.this will couse u to loose a few mhz tho.but lower the temps and still keep the fsb as high as possable

Emericana

phob if the heatsink is not hot and the temps are that high then your heatsink is not making complete contact with your cpu. i say take the heatsink off, and either lap it and reapply AS or just re apply as and make sure you are getting contact

Ceowulf

Registered
Oh damn, that must be whats happening to mine then as well!

How does one ensure that the heat sink is properly seated? Putting it on is a nightmare, the clips are so tight its insane. I wouldnt think it possible that the sink NOT be properly seated considering its that tightly latched on.

Yodums

As mentioned in this thread, your heatsink may not be making proper contact with the core or something. It is very unlikely an AX-7 with a Sunon 39 would get temps of 57. Your voltage seems to be only at default also.

I would look into that.

Valk

58 isnt much to worry about. your chip should be stable right up to 65. mine doesnt die till about 72. at 63 it gets a little laggy, but not unstable.

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

Ceowulf said:
Oh damn, that must be whats happening to mine then as well!

How does one ensure that the heat sink is properly seated? Putting it on is a nightmare, the clips are so tight its insane. I wouldnt think it possible that the sink NOT be properly seated considering its that tightly latched on.

OMG!!!

this is my same experience!!! how in the bloddy hell such tight clips are not hard enough to make the hs have good contact with the core!!! OHH DAMNIT!!!!

In fact im saving some money, i guess ill buy an sk7, a 83cfm 80mm sunon and a reobus. Dudes im really afraid i chipped the cpu while installing the hs, i mean its TIGHT SH*T!!!

Ill manage to get rid of this AX7, hope a new combo plus unlocking works better...

john240sx

Valk said:
58 isnt much to worry about. your chip should be stable right up to 65. mine doesnt die till about 72. at 63 it gets a little laggy, but not unstable.

even if it's stable the chip won't last as long at those temps if it's always that hot.

i panic when mine hits 45C (even at stock speed), right now i'm at 37C after playing Sum of all fears for 3 hours.

TinMan

T-bird 1.2GHz here with an AX7 and a ystech fan temps are about 50C at stock speed, I have re seated the heat sink twice and I dont want to try again for fear of crushing the core while getting te thing off.

But aint it written somewhere that the chips can handle upto 90C?

markodude

My Tbred hits 60c with 1.9v, but I wouldnt run it at that even though it seems Prime95 stable. I am running 1.70vCore at the moment, full load is 50-53, same temps as my P4 at 1.8v....
The Tbred will die above 70c, not recommended!

The Coolest

Don't forget that most likely those are the temps which are reported by the die diode, which tend to be about 8-10C higher than the temp reported by external diodes. I would say you're running on the border of 48-50C, and wouldn't be TOO much worried, but don't let it go past 60, that's just an ugly number :p

Yodums

Well did you make sure you clipped the support lugs while holding the heatsink in the air and then clip in the right lugs? Don't put the heatsink on the core, smudge the heatsink, and then put in the clips then you won't get a correct amount of thermal transfer.

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

Yodums said:
Well did you make sure you clipped the support lugs while holding the heatsink in the air and then clip in the right lugs? Don't put the heatsink on the core, smudge the heatsink, and then put in the clips then you won't get a correct amount of thermal transfer.

CRAP!!!

i did the same way you tell me to do, i know that sliding the hs on the core may take the AS3 out of the way. But this is a hard hs to install, so maybe i did smudge the hs over the core a bit while i was strugling to set the clip.

So here comes another question, is it worth it to upgrade my current cooling setup and get a SK7. and a tornado on a reo???

The Coolest

I don't think its worth to upgrade from your current cooler, but a fan upgrade would do you good. I went more than 9C down in temps while upping the watts that the CPU puts out just by going from some crappy fan to this delta, its noisy but does the job REALLY WELL!
I didn't find the heatsink to be THAT hard to mount. You first clip the left clip, then lay the heatsink on the CPU, and press on it with a finger to make it stay in place, and engage the right clip. It only took me a second to do that.

malon

PhobMX said:

So here comes another question, is it worth it to upgrade my current cooling setup and get a SK7. and a tornado on a reo???

The AX7 is a good heatsink, I recommend you to get a better fan like a delta 80 cfm or a vantec T. 84 cfm and i think your cpu temp will drop a few degrees :beer: , I get max 50C with my slk800 and i`m in a very hot place :p

OP
PhobMX

PhobMX

forgot to mention i hate GRINDERS in my living room, so f*ck it, ill keep my cooling setup, ill just get an unlocking kit and some rounded cables, then reaply AS·. Wish me luck i didnt chip the cpu already and i wont crush it will reinstalling AX7

papounet

YOu may want to make sure that you have enough exhaust to get the warlm air out of the case.
suggestion, try without the side panel, if the temps are lower, it's time for one additional exhaust fan