• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i screwed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigjake

Registered
i bought the chevette heater core for my radiator and when "sweating" in the fittings a bead of soldier went in the radiator and i can hear it rattling around and i cant get it out. am i screwed ? will this cause corrosion ? im going to try flushing it with water to get it out tommorow. any knowledge on dissimilar metal corrision or otherwise would be appreciated. also i used 3/8 fittings instead of 1/2" cause i had some, are these to small?

shoudn't cause corrosion, but u should be using some kind of anti corrosion additive like purple ice or coolant anyways

Won't cause corrosion - the heatercores are all soldered together anyway. I'd just try shaking it until it falls out the barbs. Unless it's huge, it should come out eventually.

Unless you put the core in with the barbed side down, I doubt very much that water will wash it up and out of it :D

I'd try flushing it out with the garden hose. If it's small enough to travel out, then it could cause pump damage should it strike the impeller. If it's so large that it won't flush out, then it could cause blockage to your waterflow.
You might have to rewarm that puppy. Just try not to heat it so long that you unsolder another part of it.

The solder is pretty inert, and won't cause any corrosion. The heatercore is loaded with the stuff anyway.

And finally, 3/8" fittings are fine. All 3 of my blocks are 3/8" fitted, and perform nicely.

Don't that solder thing adjitate ya? I did it myself on my first solder job too, but luckily it came right out when I shook it upside down.

Back