• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istolyergf

Recently Ive been getting a number of blue screen crashes in XP. They tend to happen when the CPU is under load, and the problem still persists after reinstalling Windows XP, reflashing the BIOS, checking hardware, etc...

I am running an Athlon XP 2100+ and it idles at around 75 C. The max temp on the CPU is listed online as 90 C, but Im stil worried about such a high temp. Im using an old thermaltake volcano HSF. Am I running too hot?

Seabee

WHOA! Are you SURE you mean 75 C? Or 75 Farienheit(SP)? Major differance. If it is 75c, you better get those temps down, cuz most mobos read temp from socket and the on DIE temps will be about 8c-12c higher, putting your CPU at 83c-87c! Which, while not above the specs, puts it way too damn close. If that the the Farienheit(again, SP) reading, then you are fine.

But it does sound like you have a problem somewhere. Give us your complete system specs so we can help ya a little more. Are you Overclocking at all? have you tried to reseat the HS? What type of TIM(thermal interface material) are you using?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

obsolete

Your are way to hot for me.

In all seriousness, you may want to check the heatsink mount or just remount it. I highly, highly doubt your CPU is running at 75ºC. Blue screens from windows are normally a sign of the CPU being to hot or not having enough juice (vcore).

May also want to invest a little bit of money & get a temp. probe that will mount on the bottom side of your CPU in between all the pins. As far as CPU temps go (And a few other things), I can't think of anything that has helped more then my temp probes. I have at least one in every system I have built.

Definately post more specs because as of right now it's pretty much a shot in the dark for everyone.

-ºb§

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
I believe you're using a palimino core, which runs hot to start with..... however even if that's the case your temps are too high.... I ran a palimino core 2200xp for over a year at 60° and never had a problem, but that's still too hot. Those cores are pretty tough but why take chances.....

d4rr3n

Something's gotta be wrong, i can't imagine it idles at 75C....imagine what full load would be heh

100mbHD

we cant help u unless u tell us your specs, such as the cpu heatsink your using, mobo (incase their are incompatability issues w/ the HS) and other devices.

OP
I

istolyergf

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, and Ill try to clarify some things for you:

Yes those temps are in CELSIUS, believe it or not!

The temp slowly climbs and maxes out at about 75 C; I just turned my comp on 5 mins ago and its already at 65C

MB Temp is steady at 35 C

PC Specs are as follows: Asus A7M266 MOBO, 1 gig pc 2100 DDR, XP 2100 Palomino CPU, Thermaltake Volcano 3 4800 RPM HSF, Cheapo computer show case

Im currently running underclocked at 1.31 ghz, and everything seems to be running ok at this speed. When warmed up, the CPU idles at 75C at 1.31 ghz.

When I installed the HSF, I did use arctic silver on it, and I believe I installed it correctly.

Fan speed is currently at 4900 RPM.

Sounds like a cooling issue...?

qualhiveldorf

feel how hot the fins on your hsf is, If they are burning hot then its a cpu/heat issue, If the fins are mildly warm-cold your hsf is mostlikely not seated correctly or you put way too much as5 on.

100mbHD

do what qualhiveldorf said above ^. if the fins are infact hot, meaning the hsf is actually doing something, yet u refuse to get a new cpu. I would say go w/ thermalright. they are the best at making sinks. u cant go wrong w/ any of their products.

a c i d.f l y

Volcano 3... omg.. I don't even think that is spec'd for a K7... maybe a Pentium 1... Wouldn't run anything less than a Volcano 5... the Volcano 6cu barely kept my stock Palomino temps below 50*°C at load... (when I had a Palomino... that died, btw)

-Frank

Last edited:

100mbHD

yup acid is right. screw everything else, get a damn thermalright like i said. I would recommend either an SLK-947U or an SP97. Yes, they are a bit expensive, but trust me, u get what u pay for....if u feel one of those babies, your feeling quality.

OP
I

istolyergf

Correction, Im running a Volcano 5. I just took it out and blew all the dust out of it, and wiped off the excess goop off the bottom. Popped it back in and bang, im back up to 81C. Oh and BTW, the HSF was very hot when I took it out, so I think it is making good contact. Why am I getting such high readings??? I understand that im using a crappy HSF, but it still seems like my temp should be lower than 81C at idle, even with a crappy HSF....

Yuriman

It could be, but realy that heatsink is crap. I had a 1600+ and a V6 a long time ago, and it ran over 65c. I suggest a new sink and/or a new cpu. Palamino's dont overclock nearly at all, maybe pick up an 1800+ TB core. It should hit 2400+ speeds, while putting out less than 2/3 the heat of the Palamino you have.

This is a good cheap heatsink, will handle about anything you throw at it. Likely bring you to about 45c with a good fan: http://www.svc.com/thal.html

This one is a bit better, might get you down near 40c with a good fan. Not load of course http://www.svc.com/thslsoco.html

This is the best heatsink there is. I havnt owned one, but people have taken XP's to 2.8ghz on these and stayed under 60c. I dont know what temps you will get, but if you have the cash this is a good sink. http://www.svc.com/thsp.html

Personaly, I recomend getting a cheap Athlon XP from newegg.com(they dont have Pally's anymore) and whatever heatsink you can afford.

100mbHD

great recommendations yuri. I am in agreeance w/ u. I am using an SLK-947U (updated version of the 900U) w/ a 2600+ mobile. Stock clock speeds on it is 2.0ghz. Im at 2.2 w/ tons of potential right now, and my idle cpu temp is 39c.

OP
I

istolyergf

I appreciate all of the advice, Ive decided to order the ALX-800 thermalright HS. Can you guys recommened a good quiet fan to go with that?

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
SUMMARY: Excellent choice for aggressive air-cooling, but at very high noise levels.
CONCLUSIONS
Thermalright's ALX-800 is a fine choice for aggressive Socket A cooling when used with a very aggressive fan, such as a high-energy Delta 80. However, there is no doubt that the noise that goes with this performance borders on the absurd.

SOURCE LINK

The Delta FFB/EHE (Extreme High output) is the fan your mother warned you about. This beast moves more hot air than a politician. Unfortunately, it tends to be as loud as one too...
Specifications: 80x80x38mm, 80.16 CFM @ 5700 RPM, 52.5 dBA, 10.80W, .90 amp, 12v DC, standard 3-pin or 3+4 pin power connectors.

CLICK HERE

clocker2

Yuriman said:
This is the best heatsink there is. I havnt owned one, .
While there is no doubt the TR is a fine sink, saying that it is "the best" is certainly debatable, especially given that you have no personal experience with it.