• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitman_in_wis

Ive put together a compy for my brother. Its an AMD X2 3800+ Manchester on stock HSF cooling. Im clocking along at 2500Mhz, (stock 2000) with a low v-core of 1.35. The low V-core does not seem to be creating any problems since I can prime all night. However, even with the low v-core, and attaching the HSF with Arctic Silver 5, my temps run from 35 C idle to 57 C fully loaded from dual Prime95.

Is this dangerously too high? What if the room were 10 degrees warmer in the summer? Is it possible that the AS5 and the proc itself still need some burn in time? (Ive had it up for 5 days or so). This was my first HSF mount ever, so I quite possibly could have done something wrong.

Further info: Mobo = Asus A8N-SLI - to measure the CPU temp I am using the Asus utility PC Probe 2. I assume it is accurate, but perhaps someone has a suggestion for a different utility (MB5 does not have my mobo listed)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
-Brett Birschbach

DareDevil_747

Disabled
It usually takes (someone correct me if Im wrong, im going off of memory) around 200 hours for AS5 to completely "cure" and set in to the components... but when it cures, it usually only makes about 1-2 degrees difference... thats pretty hot... I would re-seat the HS, It is possible that the motherboard has a faulty temp sensor...
clock it back down to stock and post those temps...
You might wanna invest in a thermal probe, if u wanna really take this seriously, that and a multimeter are an overclocker's best friend :) When I got my thermal probe, I found out that my mainboard was reporting temps 2 - 3 degrees (C) lower than the probe did! It comes in sooooooooo helpful... GPUs, HDD's, CPUs, Chipsets, u name it.

OP
H

hitman_in_wis

Clocked er back down to 2000Mhz and now I get temps from 33C idle to 50C full load. Still seems high to me.

I can try to re-seat...not sure how I would do better than the first try though...

Yuriman

Somewhat of a duh, but you removed the thermal pad first? :p

57c is acceptable, but a bit on the high-side. If it were my PC, I would work on getting it down, since you can probably get another 50-100MHz out of it with the same voltage, but it isn't going to explode at 57c.

OP
H

hitman_in_wis

Yuriman said:
Somewhat of a duh, but you removed the thermal pad first?QUOTE]

Not necessarily a duh for me on my first build, but yes, I did remove the wax before applying AS5.

Hopefully I can get a few more opinions, but I'm starting to lean toward re-seating.

rseven

Did you follow the directions from the AS5 website? Also, better airflow in your case might help. My 144 was hitting 59 degrees at load (2.7gig) and I took the side off the case to bring it down 5 degrees. If you room is much warmer in the summer it will end up being a problem. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
OP
H

hitman_in_wis

Well, I re-seated the HSF. I put a little less AS5 on this time, since when I pulled off the HSF the entire proc was covered from corner to corner. I cleaned off the HSF and proc with 91% isopropyl alcohol (best I have). I then re-applied (less) AS5, and remounted the HSF. The mounting (in my mind) went flawlessly.

New temps for 2500Mhz at 1.35V-Core: 33 C idle - 57 C Full Load

SAME AS BEFORE :(

I really feel that I had a good mount of the HSF this time. I've read some other reviews on the 3800 X2 running a little hot on the stock HSF, so maybe the only option is a new cooler.

Just how concerning is a 57 C temp at max load? Ive read that AMD chips will have errors from overheating well before burning out, and Ive had 2 instances of Prime95 working the processor for the last 13 hours without a single error. Do I simply follow the axiom "If it's not having errors, it's not overheating"?

DareDevil_747

Disabled
Thermalright XP90C
Thermalright XP120
Scythe Ninja

These are the top 3 cpu coolers you can get. I personally like the XP90C the best, the XP120 WOULD be the best if it were offered in an all copper version... and the ninja is just wayyyy too HUGE!!! I dont want that kinda weight pulling down on my mobo, although this XP90C is nearly 2lbs! lol
Good luck!

TheGame240

Honestly if it's stable I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even over the summer you'll probably only top out at 60 which really isn't that bad. If you had the voltage higher or you were trying to get more out of it then you should starting thinking better cooling.

If you're really concerned about it, being that it's not your computer, you should probably look at better case cooling. An extra intake/exhaust fan can work wonders, even low noise RPM fans.

OP
H

hitman_in_wis

DareDevil_747 said:
Thermalright XP90C
Thermalright XP120
Scythe Ninja

These are the top 3 cpu coolers you can get. I personally like the XP90C the best, the XP120 WOULD be the best if it were offered in an all copper version... and the ninja is just wayyyy too HUGE!!! I dont want that kinda weight pulling down on my mobo, although this XP90C is nearly 2lbs! lol
Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them. BTW, as a last ray of hope...I read somewhere that the heatsink only goes correctly in one direction. Is this true? i.e. I have the stock AMD cooler that has a lever clamp, and that is currently north of my HSF. Should I try flipping it around?

rseven

While my first instinct says if it ain't broke.....
I have always thought that DFI NF4's tend to under report temps, so I would be inclined to figure out some way to make it cooler whether it was through using a better heatsink or improving air circulation in the case.

fuzzba11

What case are you using? Improved airflow could make all the difference, even running without a side panel could help. Dual cores definitely pile on the heat when it comes to Prime 95, I find that during games my CPU doesn't get as hot-often because one core is doing all the work.

OP
H

hitman_in_wis

fuzzba11 said:
What case are you using? Improved airflow could make all the difference, even running without a side panel could help. Dual cores definitely pile on the heat when it comes to Prime 95, I find that during games my CPU doesn't get as hot-often because one core is doing all the work.

Well, Im sure my case flow isnt exactly the best. But I do have:
80M pullng from the front
80m pulling in the side above the processor
80M pulling up into the PSU from the processor
80M pulling from behind the PSU
120M pushing out the back.

I just took the side off, and there is no temp change at all.

However, I can rest my fingers indefinitely on the metal heat sink... If it was really 57 C, wouldnt it feel....hotter?

DareDevil_747

Disabled
@hitman_in_wis - I dont know about the ninja (im guessing it uses the stock AMD heatsink retainer).. but the thermalrights come with a beefier heatsink retainer (the plastic thing around ur CPU socket) so you'll have to remove your motherboard to install it... I have no problem mounting mine in any direction I want... Good luck!

OP
H

hitman_in_wis

Ok, PC Probe II reports my temp currently at 57 C running full boar.

I whipped out my handy-dandy Vicks Thermometer (for sticking in your mouth) and put it directly on the heatsink. It tops out at 107.4 F, which equates to about 42 C. Now I know this wasnt the most scientific approach to things, but 15C difference??

DareDevil_747

Disabled
You really need a thermal probe, and tape it on the bottom of the heatsink, as close as u can get it to where the CPU makes contact, thats the closest reading in my opinion, that u can get. Theyre not too expensive either, and u can use them on practically anything.

-aDaM^

Disabled
I think you need a heatsink upgrade. ThermalRight XP-90C is a great heatsink shoud keep your load temps lower. I did read a review though that said Operton heatpipe sink is only 1 - 3*C behind the XP-90C :-/

rseven

Madshrimp did a comparison with the XP90 and they were dead even. The 90c does about 1-3 degrees better at load over the 90, so that would sound about right, but it's not. There is one major hole in this theory. When Madshrimp did the test they used the 80mm stock Delta fan from the AMD cooler on both heatsinks. The XP90 performs better with a 92mm fan than an 80mm fan, at least it did for me when I tried it with a 92mm 3 blade Delta and an 80mm 3 blade Delta. Their test is here .

soupratt

Those motherboard sensor arn't that great.
I also have a X2 3800+ and a K8N Neo2. I am using watercooling (only a single radiator though). With a temp probe on the CPU I get 24-27 deg at idle (2300mz at 1.4v) and comes up to 33-35 deg load. The motherboard reports anywhere 36-42 idle and 47 deg load (both cores). BUt the motherboard temp varies so much just with a bit of load on the CPU that I can't believe the readings.