• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am3+ Budget Gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanks a lot! Never heard of that ram before though o_O
CPU is the same,gpu awsome and i have to trust you on the mobo.
Do the M5A97 EVO / M599X EVO do better on OC and which one is better?

EDIT: Isn't the 361 elite too small for proper cooling and adding fans later?

in theory the 99x because of somewhat stronger vrm circuit, but both have 6+2 digital power phases. but when you decide to get a vishera chip ,you can keep the M5A99x EVO.

The more space, the longer it takes to heat up (assuming no airflow), that said, so long as you have decent airflow in the case, you should be fine.

Fair enough,will have to add some fans in a month or two when the OC is gonna be attempted, just hoping it won't be louder than a helicopter in order to cool properly ;)
I have no idea about PSUs,but will the 550 be enough before/after OC? Won't it stress and heat up like mad(if its enough)?

i found the gx to be enough for a FX8150 OC`d ,sapphire 6750 OC`d, 3hdd`s,1ssd, 5x12 cm fans and one antec kuhler 920.when i boughtr the 7850, i had to upgrade because of 2 reasons
1. the fan was rattleing after about 2 years worth of 24/7 functioning in my old rig
2. i didn`t want to risk blowing it up when adding load to a fx8150 running at 4.5ghz and the graphics

Awsome. G.skill has the ripjaws X at 1600MHz (at CL9) 2x4GB same price.You forgot to add an optical drive so your build comes at 680.
There's M5A99X EVO and EVO R2.0? Which one is better?
I 'd like to cut another 30euros and pick the m5a97 EVO but if the 99X is more futureproof i 'm keeping it.

That's it for me tonight i 'll come back tommorrow to see if other people might offer some thoughts. Thanks again btw,you 've helped tons!

The M5A97 EVO and M5A99X EVO are going to overclock about the same. Both have 6+2 power phases with Digital VRM controls so they will both do a great job. By the way... Newegg has the M5A99X EVO for $110 after rebate with a $15 coupon code so you can get it for about $95 right now. That's a good price. A good case with good cooling options is the Rosewill Challenger. It's about $50 and has plenty of room for fans. Lots of OCF members have it.

Hey,thanks for the input Juane, do you know whats the difference between the 99X evo and 99x evo R2.0? Also tungureanu suggests that the M5A99X will last longer in terms of upgradeability.
Oh and newegg doesn't deliver outside US,nor do we have the prices you do. ('Merika **** yeah!)
You can check how much each hardware part will cost me and what is available(no rosewill) from the link in the first post :)

The M5A99X EVO R2.0 has some additional features that the EVO does not have. It has Asus' latest version of Digi+ VRM as well as USB bios flashback, directkey to access the bios directly, usb 3.0 speed boost, and some remote control feature. Honestly, most of the new features are pretty gimmicky. The difference between Digi+ 2 and Digi+ 3 is probably negligible. The USB bios flashback and directkey would be nice but you don't really need them unless you're changing your settings every day. As far as upgradeability goes I don't see how the R2.0 is any better. Both support the same CPU's, have the same GPU compatibility, and support the same amount of RAM. Honestly there isn't much of a difference between the two. Both will be great overclockers. Someone who is doing a lot of benchmarking or extreme overclocking would appreciate the added features on the R2.0, but for the average user the original EVO is all you need.

Thanks again for clarifying,if i get the M5A99X EVO i 'm getting the R2.0 (its the same price :p)
You misunderstood.I see now that my previous post was quite misleading,because i had just asked the difference between the evo and evo r2.0 :p
The suggestion from tungureanu was that the M5A99X evo would last longer in terms of upgrade-ability compared to the M5A97 EVO (which costs 95 compared to the 99x that goes for 135).

Difference is the chipsets.
The difference between these chipsets are the number of PCIe lanes and how they can be split: 970 has 1@16X from the NB; 990X 1@16X or 2@8X; 990FX has 2@16X or 4@8X. They are have another 4X available from the SB, but those aren't meant to be used with graphics cards.

ah yeah, i saw that yesterday with a friend. get that one and perhaps pop another gpu later on with a new cpu.To tell you the truth,we build a powerhouse at 860 euros and now i m trying hard to magically come with 200 more so I can meet the price.

The 680 cost build is set i think,i only have second thoughts about the case but i guess you get what you pay for. What do you think of the new corsair GS PSUs? The 700W 80+bronze certified is quite affordable o_O

I dont recall if the OP is getting dual cards, if not 700W is overkill.. grab the 500W GS if you are not going SLI/Crossfire.

If i get the budget build i 'm going for a 550W but i wanted opinions on the corsair GS 700 cause i found it at a great price and am considering it atm for a build with an OCed 8350 to
5GHz(which psu calculators recommend 652W+) IF i magically come up with the extra 200 needed :p.But otherwise yeah, 550 should be fine,i m not going SLI on the phenom.
I will post both builds tommorow. The final build on the pc i 'm probably getting and the 8350 build to get opinions in case X-mas are good to me ;P

Thanks again for clarifying,if i get the M5A99X EVO i 'm getting the R2.0 (its the same price :p)
You misunderstood.I see now that my previous post was quite misleading,because i had just asked the difference between the evo and evo r2.0 :p
The suggestion from tungureanu was that the M5A99X evo would last longer in terms of upgrade-ability compared to the M5A97 EVO (which costs 95 compared to the 99x that goes for 135).
Yea the M5A99X EVO has more upgradeability than the M5A97 EVO. If you're not going SLI/Crossfire then it's not really an issue though.

no such thing as overkill. :D
+1
I have a 750w PSU for my rig with a single 9600gso. I got it for less than a decent 500w would have cost me though, and I figure I'll need it when I upgrade my GPU and possible switch over to water cooling in the future.

hey again,back with a question. Which Mobo would be the best value for money choice for a 7850 and FX 8350? i ' m guessing a 990 series that supports 16x/16x in case i get another gpu later on? Can't decide between asrock/msi/gigabyte/asus and which models are actually 16x/16x and dont go from 16x->8x/8x.

Back