• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 290x Overclock mishap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jlaster20

Hello everyone

I went to crank my fanspeed up to 100% cause I wanted it to be cooler in my room, but wasn't paying attention and cranked the memory clock up the screen went black but my PC stayed on, I had to hard shut it down but after that nothing wont turn on at all, I am running a 520 Watt supply fanless Sliverstone so my question for you guys is did I fry my power supply, I have taken out 1 stick of ram and the Graphics card and even reset the bios and yet nothing happens not even a boot up sound

Thank you everyone

I5-4960k 3.4 Ghz
XFX R9 290x
Seagate 1TB hard drive
2 8 gb Gskil Sniper 1600mhz Ram
520 Watt PSU Silver stone Fanless edition

PSU should be fine.
When you cleared the CMOS did you take the battery out, disconnect the PSU from the wall, and then leave it for ~10 minutes?

Side note; turning your GPU fans up to 100% will not make it cooler in your room.

if a full cmos clear doesn't work you might try moving the card to another slot, this might confuse the overclocking software.

if a full cmos clear doesn't work you might try moving the card to another slot, this might confuse the overclocking software.

The way it read to me is he removed the GPU and is using the iGPU.

No I mean like no matter what I do I currently can not at all Turn on my PC I took out the card and 1 ram stick just to see if wall the wattage taken off would do anything and it the thing didn't do anything at all so I am thinking its the PSU

No I mean like no matter what I do I currently can not at all Turn on my PC I took out the card and 1 ram stick just to see if wall the wattage taken off would do anything and it the thing didn't do anything at all so I am thinking its the PSU

Again I'll ask:
When you cleared the CMOS did you take the battery out, disconnect the PSU from the wall, and then leave it for ~10 minutes?

Can you outline your current configuration for us exactly please?
Is it motherboard, CPU, 1x RAM stick, and nothing else?
Do you have all power connections made? Is your monitor hooked to your motherboard?

Take out the battery....unplug yer power from the wall. Wait 10-15 minutes, then put the battery back in, plug in and give'er a try.
What mobo ya got?

I got Asus z97-AR motherboard I had only took the cmos out for about 2 mins and then put it back

- - - Updated - - -

currently the only things in my system are my psu my CPU 2 sticks of ram now and no GPU just the IGPU

As said by other members above, unplug from the main, remove the battery, drink a beer (or 2, depends on the pace, works with tea as well, or coffee. You can have a hot dog if you know a decent shop around...), come back, and it will boot!

Do you have all power connections made? Double check all these.
Is your monitor hooked to your motherboard? (Seen this missed before)
What connection from mobo to monitor?
Are you sure the one RAM stick left is seated properly? Have you changed which slot it is in?

All connections are completely made I have no signal to anything I was already running 480 watts into my 520 watt supply which I added prob a extra 80 watts on top of it

- - - Updated - - -

The computer itself will not turn on no signal to the cpu motherboard nothing

So I did the full CMOS reset waited 10-15 mins and still no power is going to anything at all

Alright I'm stupid I didn't have PSU power on after the CMOS reset I turned on power works perfect now now got to test to see if my Graphics card still works

But turned it on after the reset and now it works perfect card and all Thank you guys!

Alright I'm stupid I didn't have PSU power on after the CMOS reset I turned on power works perfect now now got to test to see if my Graphics card still works

And that's why tech support in movies is always asking people if there stuff is plugged in... It's a satire of a thing g that really happens a lot. Glad you got it working again :)

Yup just needed the BIOS reset, glad it's working!

(I've done extensive troubleshooting due to a PSU switch before as well, don't feel bad!)

I think we need some clarification here What did you change?.

do you mean you cranked your GPU Mem speed in say overdrive for Catalyst control panel?

If you did that you will have to move the GPU to a different slot or you can try and start it in Safe Mode and then disable the Catalyst control center from startup in msconfig as a service.

then start normally and uninstall the driver and reinstall it.

Never make changes in overdrive imho if something screws up its really really hard to fix it.

atleast with afterburner or gpu tweak you can disable it in safe mode easy and start over but even then its hard to do.

---------------------------

if this was a System memory change in bios then like said above.

unplug power from wall & remove battery . hold power button 10 sec and give it a few min then start it up. should default everything.

I think we need some clarification here What did you change?.

do you mean you cranked your GPU Mem speed in say overdrive for Catalyst control panel?

If you did that you will have to move the GPU to a different slot or you can try and start it in Safe Mode and then disable the Catalyst control center from startup in msconfig as a service.

then start normally and uninstall the driver and reinstall it.

Never make changes in overdrive imho if something screws up its really really hard to fix it.

atleast with afterburner or gpu tweak you can disable it in safe mode easy and start over but even then its hard to do.

---------------------------

if this was a System memory change in bios then like said above.

unplug power from wall & remove battery . hold power button 10 sec and give it a few min then start it up. should default everything.

He has the system running now...

Back