• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd [email protected] 512kb cache(939) OR 3400+ @2.2 1mb cache (754)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

If you have the money, socket 939 is the best you can get.The problem is, most people dont have the money, so 754 will likely have a lot more support. I say go for the 754. Dual channel wont help you in gaming, and more cache will. I hear amd is likely going to scrap both sockets in the future anyway and combine into socket900(might be just a rumor). Save you cash now.

attack

hehe....lots of socket changes coming on. To me though it's not really a big deal, because honestly who upgrades just a CPU? If people did that I'd still be running my old 8k7a!

ap673

So do you think saving up for S939 platform next spring is worthless, cuz S900 will be out soon enough.

But then S900 will cost the fortune that S939 does now, so who cares. And dual-channel does help in gaming I believe. Maybe not a lot in DX8 games right now, but just wait til games get more memory intensive, you'll be wanting dual-channel.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Hmm, better selection (although poor in my opinion) of motherboards in 754. Comparable performance. Seriously changing platforms at this time. Seems like taking the cheaper way out at this time would be a good move while allowing one to upgrade, play, etc. Sell cheap setup when market goes into a lull or you expect a lull and go state of the art. Gotta tell ya, in the real world (of which we are not) I just have not seen a lot of a64's around of any sort.
Do I think that 939 will stick around in its present form or be superceded in relatively short order? You bet. You can pick up an Epox board on the cheap ($90 or so) and a descent 754 and hold out for awhile. You won't play second fiddle to many and the difference could be saved for real upgrade, video card or other item/pleasure. PCIe is coming.We can debate that and ddr3 for about six months or so and then the debate should be decided. I keep having this nagging thought, were and why aren't there more 939 boards available. I can come to only one conclusion, they are not ready....why aren't they ready? They will come and I expect enmass, but when they are ready. I would wait on 939.

Personally, I have a epox 8kda3+ and a a64 3000 on the way. About $350. Had I settled for a little less I could have gotten the twin to the 8kda3 and kept it under $300. I think I'll hang on to the rest of the money and hold out for things to settle down. Speed wise, I like to think I am not the slowest around and with a little oc'ing.....Take Care.

ap673

If you really care about gaming, instead of spending $350-400 on an A64 platform, just keep your barton/nforce2 or P4 and buy a new graphics card like the X800's or 6800's. Then you'll see a real performance increase.

Kenshiro

ap673 said:
If you really care about gaming, instead of spending $350-400 on an A64 platform, just keep your barton/nforce2 or P4 and buy a new graphics card like the X800's or 6800's. Then you'll see a real performance increase.

Totally agreed. Well said.............

ap673

Thanks, see thats what I was contemplating a while ago too. I had a slower AXP platform and didnt know to go with a better AXP platform or A64 platform. After a lot of thinking, I decided AXP Platform. $175 saved that I can spend on X800pro or 6800GT in the next month or so. Plus I would see improvement from 333fsb and 512mb to 450fsb and 1 gig of ram, just for $50 instead of much more.

Arkangyl

Hmm...

s754; no dual channel but a helluvalot cheaper. PCi-E (nForce 4) WILL come to s754 so no worries; I'm not sure about DDR2 but it aint that great so who cares.

s939; only get 939 if you want dual channel and FX support. In all fairness there is no reason to pay xtra for the 175 pins... because...

s900; this will come out late 2005; it is the dual core, DDR2 socket folks.

So.. buy s754 now and s900 later; s939 is really just for the FX line IMO as they (FX) needed to use reg. memory. If you plan to go FX at some point then grab a 939; otherwise; s754

ap673

hmmm you're right, u've got a good point Arkangyl. In the coming months if the spread between s754 and s939 is more than $100, then s754 sounds good, and it will be a heck of a lot cheaper. I do hope s754 will have PCI-e, and I don't really care about ddr2. Even though s939 will be nice to have dual-channel, i think a s754+1mb L2+1 gig should not be far behind it. Looks like s754+nforce4+pci-e will be the best decision when it comes around before the end of 2004. Then you can wait til early 2006 for good priced s900!

OC Detective

AMD (Hector Ruiz no less) has already come out and said that socket 940 will be dual core I dont see why socket 939 would be any different - why would it need to change if socket 940 doesnt?

Kenshiro

This is how i feel. You can't wait forever..... Some of these guys waited over a year for the Socket 939, and it is a long wait. Personally, if I want to upgrade my system, I will do it now. As for the price difference between the 754 and 939 socket, i do think it is justifiable. The reason being that for the $100 extra you shell out, you are probably getting a system that is more future proof. The extra $100 you spend now may allow you for further upgrades later.

ap673

Future proof is the best investment you can make, sometimes outweighing performance....