• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 3700X 4.1Ghz ft. ASUS X470 PRIME-PRO. is it fine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tokki

Registered
HI guys! i'm oc'ing my 3700x ryzen cpu via asus x470 prime pro mobo. testing by prime95 small FFT, max heat mode.

my rig spec is this :

amd 3700x cpu with 240mm aio (frostflow 240 x, arctic p12 fans)
samsung c-die d4 mem 8gb x2
asus x470 prime pro with vrm airflow via arctic p12
antec eag pro 750w psu
his rx570 vga

i changed uefi settings like this :

llc auto
vrm phase control extreme mode(full phase active), 110%
soc phase optimize.
soc 1.13v
dram 1.36v
vcore 1.337v
pbo disable
fclk 1866

other things are auto.

2019.09.19-23.53.png

when i put 4.2ghz in this setting, then shutdown when i run prime95.

so i put 4.1ghz and this core voltage (1.34v cpu-z says.) works fine until now when runs prime95 or x265 encoding.

i think cpu temps and vcore voltage are quite high. i'm using open case, and room temp 27'C(80'F) now.

should i oc in lower voltage and clock? or is it fine to use 24/7 ?

i need your opinion. thanks for reading or advise and sorry for my bad english..

------

thanks to all of your advise, i changed like this :

soc auto
vrm phase asus optimal
dram 3733 cl18-21-21-40

for now, cpu temps are 85'C(185'F) when running prime95, still temps quite high but everything works fine:clap:

Attachments

• 2019.09.19-23.48.png
    2019.09.19-23.48.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
vrm phase control extreme mode(full phase active), 110%
soc phase optimize.
soc 1.31v
dram 1.36v
No sense in moving these from auto...

That said, what RAM do you have, exactly? I see 2x8GB, but no listed speeds... I'm assuming 3633 due to the FCLK (not sure what that was changed either).

I think your CPU temp is ok (87c running Prime95). You can check your VRM temperature using a program like HWiNFO64, although I expect with airflow it will be adequate. If you're running with an open case, what is your case airflow like? Are you wanting to run a closed cases but having trouble with temps? I would not put too much stock in the vcore reported by any software monitor. That said HWiNFO64 will have a few other readouts for vcore that might be more accurate, or might not be. It's impossible to really know, but just going on a gut feeling I would trust those reported by HWiNFO just slightly more.

I'm guessing it will require a bit more voltage to do 4.2GHz, but not everyone is comfortable exceeding 1.35v (although do you do have a small amount of room before you reach that level).

oh, soc 1.13v is right. sorry.

i'm using samsung ddr4 part number is M378A1K43CB2-CTD. it's just jedec 2666 memory not for oc'ing but many people are using like this or better in korea.

thanks.

Typo or not, there isn't a need to raise the SOC voltage at all with that speed of memory. :)

That memory is slower than the base specification for Zen 2/Ryzen 3, you know that, right? 3200 MHz is what you should be using. Performance won't be much different (a couple percent at best), but, makes sense to use at least the minimum spec for the platform.

If you are already at 87C in P95 testing, then you don't have much headroom as is.....

thanks for your advise. i'm using infrared thermometer to check vrm temps and it says vrm caps are 53'C(124'F) when prime95 running.
i think vrm temp ok, right?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Typo or not, there isn't a need to raise the SOC voltage at all with that speed of memory. :)

That memory is slower than the base specification for Zen 2/Ryzen 3, you know that, right? 3200 MHz is what you should be using. Performance won't be much different (a couple percent at best), but, makes sense to use at least the minimum spec for the platform.

If you are already at 87C in P95 testing, then you don't have much headroom as is.....

oh, so soc over voltage just increasing cpu temps in my case,right?
that makes sense i guess.
i'll decrease dram clock and re-test
thanks for your help

* For the VRM's, use software to monitor it... but if surface temps are that, then they should be OK.

* SOC is for the memory controller (inside the CPU). You are overvolting the SOC and running the memory SLOWER than the base spec of the platform... that makes no sense. You would overvolt the SOC when running speeds well above 3200 Mhz or with more than 2x8GB of RAM. That said, there is no need to decrease the RAM speeds and retest. Just put it to auto and it will be fine.

* For the VRM's, use software to monitor it... but if surface temps are that, then they should be OK.

* SOC is for the memory controller (inside the CPU). You are overvolting the SOC and running the memory SLOWER than the base spec of the platform... that makes no sense. You would overvolt the SOC when running speeds well above 3200 Mhz or with more than 2x8GB of RAM. That said, there is no need to decrease the RAM speeds and retest. Just put it to auto and it will be fine.

ah, i think i understood. thanks!:)

HI guys! i'm oc'ing my 3700x ryzen cpu via asus x470 prime pro mobo. testing by prime95 small FFT, max heat mode.

my rig spec is this :

amd 3700x cpu with 240mm aio (frostflow 240 x, arctic p12 fans)
samsung c-die d4 mem 8gb x2
asus x470 prime pro with vrm airflow via arctic p12
antec eag pro 750w psu
his rx570 vga

i need your opinion. thanks for reading or advise and sorry for my bad english..

Nice system! Everything looks fine and a 3700X running at 4.1 GHz is a very powerful system. As noted, DDR4-3200 or 3600 would be ideal.

The PSU is a mystery to me. Is it actually an Antec EarthWatts
Gold Pro 750W
. If so, it's a good one based on the based on the Seasonic Focus design.

Nice system! Everything looks fine and a 3700X running at 4.1 GHz is a very powerful system. As noted, DDR4-3200 or 3600 would be ideal.

The PSU is a mystery to me. Is it actually an Antec EarthWatts
Gold Pro 750W
. If so, it's a good one based on the based on the Seasonic Focus design.

thanks :) actually i didn't know my psu's real name until now because korean antec vendor named it 'antec eag pro 750w' in korea :eek:
anyway core clock can't increase more for prime95 small FFT under 1.35v, so i'll use 4.1ghz.
i'm satisfying for performance:)

@EarthDog, I don't think he's running the kit at JDEC, just running a non-OC / JDEC spec kit and OCing it anyway.
soc auto
vrm phase asus optimal
dram 3733 cl18-21-21-40

Tokki was the memory stable at those settings? You might need a little SOC voltage to run 3733MHz, but if it works on auto then that's great.

Ahhhh, good catch!

Still... that SOC voltage is high for the speed. Stock should still be fine for 2x8GB at 3733. But it it surely doesn't need 1.3V. :)

@EarthDog, I don't think he's running the kit at JDEC, just running a non-OC / JDEC spec kit and OCing it anyway.

Tokki was the memory stable at those settings? You might need a little SOC voltage to run 3733MHz, but if it works on auto then that's great.

Yes it's fine with soc auto and hci memtest 400percent tested :)

Back