• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 630 - New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ciku

EDIT: This is my new system....

- AMD Athlon II x4 630
- ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
- Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
- COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
- 80gb Raptor 10K RPM
- SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
- Antec Basiq Modular 550watts
- Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit

EDIT: updated parts...

Last edited:

Kuroimaho

Those Propus aren't really hot neither is Deneb. I can run 4 cores on the deneb at 3G with 1.15V without a fan.

So you wouldn't need a top end cooler for a moderate oc. Topflow coolers tend to be shorter and thermalright also has smaller HR01 like coolers for servers you would need to get a mounting for it and it's done.

QuietIce

Disabled
I've found the GeminII (aka Gemini II) works fairly well. It's not as good as most vertical-mount coolers but it has dual-120mm fans so it also generates a lot of air flow around the RAM, NB, and MOSFETs as well as being a fair CPU cooler. It's a good choice especially if you can get some fresh air to it from the side of the case (and that HAF922 provides plenty of that ;)) ...

OP
ciku

ciku

Now that my parts are complete, assembled the system today. Up and running but I am having a hard time overclocking it. Tried 250mhz with 13x multiplier to hit 3.25ghz @ vcore 1.375 and system halted, tested with 250mhz with 12x multiplier with same vcore, same... this is my first amd system ever... help?

QuietIce

Disabled
Are you using the on-board video or do you have your card installed?
What are your load temps?

What speed setting are you using for the RAM? (1333 @ 250 MHz = 1666 MHz actual)
You should be running on a 1066 setting for 1333 RAM.

Your HT Link should be at 8X or so, cpuNB should be at 9X.

How fast did you get before you started having problems ...?

Last edited:

Archer0915

"The Expert"
My MSI 785 board will not HT clock over 262 with any CPU. Perhaps lower everything including CPU multi and look for MAX cpu/Ht ref.

87dtna

When you overclock the bus speed you also overclock the Ram, hyper transport, and CPU north birdge speeds. These all need to be set to lower values first in order to overclock the CPU to it's max.

OP
ciku

ciku

Are you using the on-board video or do you have your card installed?
What are your load temps?

What speed setting are you using for the RAM? (1333 @ 250 MHz = 1666 MHz actual)
You should be running on a 1066 setting for 1333 RAM.

Your HT Link should be at 8X or so, cpuNB should be at 9X.

How fast did you get before you started having problems ...?

I am actually still learning... my intel board doesn't come with cpuNB so I haven't set up anything it's all auto except for those I mentioned...

OP
ciku

ciku

When you overclock the bus speed you also overclock the Ram, hyper transport, and CPU north birdge speeds. These all need to be set to lower values first in order to overclock the CPU to it's max.

I don't want to oc the ram... is that possible?

Bobnova

Yup, just turn the ram multiplier down a couple notches.
You have an asus bios, so it should show you the final numbers instead of the multiplier.

Try these settings:

250HTref
2250mhz CPU-nb
1.45vcore
1.2VcpuNB
1333 ram (it'll be one notch lower)

There is a decent chance that'll work.
If you're using the onboard video it may be an issue, the board i work with (with a 810 PhII) doesn't appreciate some types of loads while using the onboard video.

OP
ciku

ciku

Yup, just turn the ram multiplier down a couple notches.
You have an asus bios, so it should show you the final numbers instead of the multiplier.

Try these settings:

250HTref
2250mhz CPU-nb
1.45vcore
1.2VcpuNB
1333 ram (it'll be one notch lower)

There is a decent chance that'll work.
If you're using the onboard video it may be an issue, the board i work with (with a 810 PhII) doesn't appreciate some types of loads while using the onboard video.

Ty will try this and no, I'm using 5750 card :) btw, what multiplier will I use? x13 still?

QuietIce

Disabled
Yes, use 13X.

I saw the video card in your list but some people OC, then add the video card. On-board video is fine but it needs adjusting if you're raising the HTRef a lot, as you're doing. Your video card and PCIe bus will not be affected by the increased HTRef but everything else - CPU, cpuNB, RAM, and HT Link - will be ...