• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8300 W/ cooler master neptune 240m

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

I have a friend who built a computer and his specs are this:

Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo
Amd 8300
Neptune 240m Cooler

As of right now. He is running around 2.9 ghz at 1.104 on vcore. Now i now your supposed to run 8+2 phase vram however I am not really trying to get a max overclock here. My question is, can his setup handle a clock of 4.2-4.5? I mean I know there is something wrong when its running at 2.9 but im curious what the max frequency i can get his setup too safely.

thanks for the input

Why is it underclocked to 2.9ghz? That chip is 3.3ghz out of the box at 1.1v.....

Boosted P-state (max) is 4200 MHz, 1.375V. This is a good starting point for a manual overclock.. Should be no problem.

EDIT:

should actively cool the VRM package area to the left of the cpu with a fan ;)

This is what I am trying to find out right now. I currently have him going into the bios for the first time. So i have a feeling its set to auto and the mobo decided to run at that speed. I have no idea tbh. But okay. I will see what his bios looks like and report back.

But i thought something was fishy when his under load temp was no different when idle.

This is what I am trying to find out right now. I currently have him going into the bios for the first time. So i have a feeling its set to auto and the mobo decided to run at that speed. I have no idea tbh. But okay. I will see what his bios looks like and report back.

But i thought something was fishy when his under load temp was no different when idle.

Nothing Fishy there. I had the same chip (and many other FX chips) under liquid cooling. It won't run warm at all while at 1.1v

You guys could start a little smaller at 3600mhz and 1.25v and work your way up from there...

Would you recommend this instead of just jumping to 4.2? Ill have him set it to manual mode and leave it at a constant frequency.

Well it depends if it throttles at 4.2ghz because of hot running VRMs. I'd start at the 3.6ghz mark and 1.25v. May take up to 1.3v to stabilize the cores. You'll have to OC and stress test to find out.

Okay. Here is where i am at. I have never messed with offset mode so what do you recommend. 20170430_224510.jpg

Right now. He has it has 3.6 and vcore set to 1.3 as we can see in bios. But cpu-z says its around 1.2vcore. Does that make sense?

Cpu and NB voltage to manual mode.... Cpu multiplier to 3.6ghz and Cpu voltage to 1.250v and give it a whirl.

I'm off to bed, but it should be easy enough, the 8300 is THE coolest running FX chip you could buy.

Also CPU LLC to High or Ultra high. Which ever one pins the voltage steadily.

Well he tried and it wont leave offset mode. but its stable at 1.245 but running around 48c

Well he tried and it wont leave offset mode. but its stable at 1.245 but running around 48c

No manual mode? Is the bios updated? If not, give that a try. See if the bios update unlocks manual mode.

Clear cmos before the bios update please.

The board was bought around December so i would assume its latest bios. But i cant really walk him through a bios update since i couldnt even do it.

Hello all,

I have a friend who built a computer and his specs are this:

Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo
Amd 8300
Neptune 240m Cooler

As of right now. He is running around 2.9 ghz at 1.104 on vcore. Now i now your supposed to run 8+2 phase vram however I am not really trying to get a max overclock here. My question is, can his setup handle a clock of 4.2-4.5? I mean I know there is something wrong when its running at 2.9 but im curious what the max frequency i can get his setup too safely.

thanks for the input

VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) not Vram which is Video RAM.

Lol your right. My bad. Thanks for that catch.

- - - Updated - - -

Also he was experiencing some stuttering at 3.6ghz at 1.3. I am going to try 1.35 and see what happens.

Update: So we got it stable 3.6 @ 1.35. But we just threw the number in and tested. WE will try and lower it some. The temps were getting to high to be comfortable. 59 after 15min stability test and 54 after 10 mins of GTA5. So i will lower vcore and then frequency if necessary.

Last edited:
So we are at 1.3 at 3.6ghz. a run through cinebench got max temp to 55c. Playing gta5 his temps is around 52-53c. What is his max 24/7 temps? 55c right? Would you suggest going to 3.5 to help control the temps?

As Adam from Mythbusters would say"Theres your problem" -->Asus M5A97 R2.0, that MB can't handle FX 8 core CPU very well, needs a 990FX chipset MB to make full use of the FX chip.

I agree. Which is why im just trying to find a good clock that is at a good temp. I know his setup isnt preferred for that chip but its a little to late.

M5A99FX Pro is the absolute minimum I would use for an octo core FX. There are those who will disagree, but I'm not asking what they would do. There are three mobos to choose from with an octo FX, the one I listed and the Sabrekitty and CH. Sad but true. Sometimes a Giga board gives acceptable results, sometimes another Asus board, but reliable consistent results are the three examples I gave.

Okay so what is a realistic clock speed i should be aiming for. im trying to hit 3.5 right now.

You have a 70c cpu thermal limit. 90c thermtrip at the core. It'll be fine at 3.6ghz and under 60c no problem.

Back