• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8320 and Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 Rev.4 at 5.0 Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sb43

Registered
Yes, it's possible, and it's working "somewhat" stablely. However, I would like someone who is familiar with the Mobo to help me make this thing ROCK SOLID! Here are my Specs:

320 FX Black Edition, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev.4, 16GB RAM (2x8GB) Corsair G-Skill-Ares DDR3 1866 (PC 14900) Running at a smooth 4.9 Ghz.
1200W Rosewill PSU, (2) R9 270x Sapphire 4 GB GDDR5 Dual X Cards (Crossfired), Noctua D-15 Cooler, Corsair Air540 case, Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 650GB HDD, 2TB Western Digital HHD, and.... Running Triple Samsung monitors with a HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset with 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound
Here is my reference chart when I went to 4.7:
Overclocking Reference sheet.PNG The red is what I changed in the bios
The only thing changed is I changed the Vcore up to 1.475V. Can somebody suggest what I need to bump up or down to get her rock solid. Here is my fan con figuration:
Case Fan Drawing #2.jpg

and here is my last test:
New fan at 5.0.PNG
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Note: as of now, I can play all of my games running at 5.0 (I ran Rainbow Six Siege, and no problems). But, I want to make sure this rig is right on spot!

Last edited:

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Run Prime95 for at least 30min to get a real temperature reading. This new CPU-Z bench just wont do.

If you want 100% rock stable honestly, you might as well save for a Sabertooth 990fx R2.0. These FX 8xxx chips are tough on the VRM's and while you board has enough phases (8+2), the Sabertooth is a know good board. With Gigabyte (for AMD) it's hit or miss.

That said, run Prime95 like I said to, and see if it's stable. Also keep an eye on your temps.
Never exceed 62C on the "Package" and 70C on the "CPU" :)
If it's good run Prime95 again for however long you want, Usually 2 hours is good. If that's stable too then you are golden :thup:

At 1.5 vcore if you are 5Ghz stable you have a damn good chip

OP
sb43

sb43

Registered
Run Prime95 for at least 30min to get a real temperature reading. This new CPU-Z bench just wont do.

If you want 100% rock stable honestly, you might as well save for a Sabertooth 990fx R2.0. These FX 8xxx chips are tough on the VRM's and while you board has enough phases (8+2), the Sabertooth is a know good board. With Gigabyte (for AMD) it's hit or miss.

That said, run Prime95 like I said to, and see if it's stable. Also keep an eye on your temps.
Never exceed 62C on the "Package" and 70C on the "CPU" :)
If it's good run Prime95 again for however long you want, Usually 2 hours is good. If that's stable too then you are golden :thup:

Thank You!

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
It does look pretty good.
2 hrs of P95 and check temps is all I recommend.
Nice job.

OP
sb43

sb43

Registered
There is something I have to adjust. She'll boot up, and I can run it all day, and play games and such. But as soon as I start prime, or OCCT she freezes up. VCore is set to 1.475 (down or up?), should I set the Vcore Loadline Calibration to "Extreme"? Are there any other settings that you would adjust up or down from the reference sheet above? I know it's up to me, but I'd rathere ask one of you experts, that could guide me in the right direction. I've read that it's do-able with this chip and mobo, but nobody has shown their specs.

bassnut

Premium Member
If its freezing you need more VCore. 1.475v might be a bit low for 5GHZ especially considering you are on Air cooling. We have seen low VCore on some newer chips up there @5GHZ yours could be one but all such samples have been on big custom loops.

OP
sb43

sb43

Registered
None of my temps are above 35C. !

- - - Updated - - -

I'll go back Up to 1.5, and start from there (again)

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
There is something I have to adjust. She'll boot up, and I can run it all day, and play games and such. But as soon as I start prime, or OCCT she freezes up. VCore is set to 1.475 (down or up?), should I set the Vcore Loadline Calibration to "Extreme"? Are there any other settings that you would adjust up or down from the reference sheet above? I know it's up to me, but I'd rathere ask one of you experts, that could guide me in the right direction. I've read that it's do-able with this chip and mobo, but nobody has shown their specs.
sb43 you need to stress test with Prime Blend not the stress test in Cpu-Z, once you pass 2+ hours of Prime blend you will most likely not have any more issues. The optimal setting for LLC is one where the voltage stays as close to the set voltage under load. You may have to play around with it on your system to find the best setting.

DNRDustin

I've read that it's do-able with this chip and mobo, but nobody has shown their specs.

You want specs? I don't have your chip or board but my 8350 does [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] Disable APM. I see you're overclocking your ram and using an xmp profile? I'd check the memory/spd tabs in CPUz and make sure your timings are correct. Put your FSB and CPU_NB to stock as well. Run P95 blend. If you freeze you have nowhere near enough vCore, if you drop a core youre close to the required voltage at that clock. Not trying to encourage you to pump that kind of voltage through your chip btw, just sayin what I needed. 4.9.PNG

Last edited:

Kenrou

None of my temps are above 35C. !

Don't see any reading of VRM's in your screenies, are they under water or have fans over them ? otherwise i guarantee you they are far above that, mine were hitting 80s before i stuck a fan in there and even then sometime i see them hitting 60s while benching.

OP
sb43

sb43

Registered
Hey, Thank You! Like I said before, It run's, and does all of my normal stuff. But I'd like to know it's stable under SEVERE Load! Thank You again!

OP
sb43

sb43

Registered
Well ,guy's I've come to the conclusion that this thing runs damn good on everything I throw at it on 5 Ghz. Other than "stress testing". All of my games run fine, my CAD programs run fine, and I can certainly multitask, and it doesn't skip a beat. I bumped up the Vcore to 1.56, and disabled the APM, and she doesn't even hiccup. I'm gonna have to investigate this further, and I hope I find the magic numbers. I was happy to get 5.0Ghz with this setup, and that's more than a lot can say. She's cool, and on air, that aint too shabby! She never broke over 45C, even when I had my CAD, Rainbow Six Siege, and web going. so..... there ya go. This bird just doesnt get hot at all. IDK, maybe I did something right for a change. I've got every temp monitor out there, and they all read the same within a degree or two.

Last edited: