• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 9370 issues with Crosshair Formula V - Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll machine up a pair of delrin strips
I'm just planning on using double sided tape to stick it on or maybe even use some cable management hooks in the back.

Mostly they're just the soldering points for the PCB I presume. Most of the electrics are on the top of the board rather than the back. The stuff under the socket may actually be the power delivery system which would explain the heat.

So I decided, just for the hell-of-it, to try overclocking in my jury-rigged configuration with a 120 mm fan blowing on the VRMs and MOSFETS. And even more interesting things happened!

At 4.7GHz the chip was stable for about twenty minutes in blend mode, which I'd say is a good enough length to continue bumping up the clock (I'm very impatient), so I reboot and hit up the multiplier to 4.8GHz. I do the same test and about 5 minutes in Windows 7 freezes. "Why that's just a voltage issue!" I said. So I bump up the voltage an increment and do the same thing. And sure enough, five minutes in Windows 7 freezes (no blue screen). I try many different voltages but to no avail, so I boot windows in safe mode to see if it was a driver issue.

Honestly, I was scared to not have my temp probes, but prime95 ran the full twenty minutes in and more before I attempted to find out where the temperature probe drivers were. After mucking around in the registry and cmd prompts and other Windows goodness I gave up and decided to boost the clock again. At 4.9GHz normal windows 7 crashed again at 3 minutes in (perf. boost!) but safe mode gave me a few illegal sumouts so I stopped there and decided to report.

So I'm kinda glad I did this before sinking in a couple hundred dollars just to overclock. Does anything sound familiar? Am I doing something wrong (other than safe mode with no temps)?

AT 4.7Ghz since you said it was 20 mins stable. Do as below so we get a picture in our minds. Numbers only just fly off into the ether for me anyway. Pic worth a 1,000 words is the old adage. Freezen sounds like Cpu Voltage though.
RGone...

information that most users supply in order to be able to help them

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Biggest thing that sticks out to me is the timings are possible too tight. Second is the temps are hot you could be getting instability from that but the timings are the most likely.

I wish I could take a picture of my screen right now, but I can't. It's frozen. Same settings as above although this time it was only in prime95 for 3 minutes. With reduced CAS latency (sorry not the same settings).

Try setting your timings to the Jedec #6 profile, then raise the Cpu NB voltage to 1.25 and see if it helps, just watch the temps the Cpu Nb V will increase them.

Try setting your timings to the Jedec #6 profile, then raise the Cpu NB voltage to 1.25 and see if it helps, just watch the temps the Cpu Nb V will increase them.

Let us know how that worked out. Normally when OCing we'd raise the CPU_NB volts to help stability but I found that my 9370 was very very sensitive about those volts. A bit too high was just as bad as a bit too low. I see that you're pumping 16G of ram. As mandrake said set the JEDEC #6 but I would put the voltage up to 1.6v for the Dram.

Nothing is working! :bang head
(Not that I've tried much but let me explain)
For the time being, my jury rigged cooling solution seems to be dissipating enough heat (IMO) in order for me to raise voltages and clockspeeds.

However, this is very frustrating. My stability testing seems to go well when I start at the normal 4.4 GHz. 20 minutes in and it's good. Because the temperature is fine, I bump up the clockspeed. At 4.5 GHz it passes the 20 min test, also with acceptable temps. So the cycle continues until I get to 4.8 GHz.

By this point I've bumped up the voltage a bit (not much I'll post a few pics here in a sec) and at 4.8 GHz the test passes again. So I bump up to 4.9 GHz, and I get a system lockup (Windows 7 desktop still displayed) after 1 minute of prime95 blend testing. I increase the main vcore voltage to try and see if that fixes things.

Unfortunately, I get the same result running prime95 for 1 min again, system lockup. I increase the voltage once more and problem isn't solved. So I decided to use a new tactic, setting the priority of prime95 to 10. I know this is very dangerous. Now I'm getting Illegal Sumouts instead of system lockups (again I'll post pictures).

Funny thing is... I get system lockups at 4.8 GHz and 4.7 GHz AFTER getting locked up at 4.9 GHz (with reduced prime95 priority of course). I'd rather not have the priority set to 10, because then I can't monitor temps at all.

I wish I could explain it in a simpler fashion, but I just can't :shrug:

(I'm pretty new to this forum-ing thingy too so I hope my massive text dumps of utter frustration and confusion don't utterly frustrate and confuse you too :))

Last edited:
First off, pics of the jury riggededness (it's a word).
...or not because they exceed the file size.

Here are CPU-Z pics of my last known (written down on a sheet of paper) 4.8GHz 20min stable stress test. Silly me forgot to write down the temps of the test but I assure you the max was 65 degrees (which is hot, but I saw it reach this temp for a split second).

First CPU...
CPU 4.8GHz Known stable.PNG

Next RAM...
RAM 4.8GHz Known stable.PNG

I don't know what else to include. If I have forgotten anything please tell me.

As I said before, this worked before I did my 4.9 GHz test and had my system lockup. After it doesn't.

Did you raise the NB Cpu V?

Have you at any point tested for stability for 2 hours of prime blend? Reason being is that when really trying to push, we can sometimes lose our way with everything that has been changed. Having a known stable point to refer back to is always helpful. I would set it back to 4.4 and run prime blend 2 hours that way you know it's stable with all eight cores running at that clock speed. Just because the chip is rated for 4.4 doesn't necessarily mean it will do it on all eight and be 24/7 stable. Maybe you're not giving it enough voltage or the temps that you're running are requiring you to need more Cpu V. My 8350 after 4.7 really starts wanting big jumps in Cpu V to run stable. Additionally, the hotter the chip gets the more voltage it's going to need to run at those clocks. You said the hottest it got was 65c, it is possible it just doesn't like to be that hot. These are all just possibilities but when really pushing past their limits you need to look at them all.

As far as trying to get it stable above that are you looking for 24/7 stability or just trying to see how far you can push it and/or run a benchmark.

Did you raise the NB Cpu?

Yes.

I know, dead 100% 24 hour stable at 4.4 because I remember hearing it all night long.

My goals: I'd like to push the CPU as far as it can go (without it going kaboom or significantly decreasing its lifespan, with custom loop cooling). After that I'll probably just look for a 24/7 stable overclock. As I said, I heavily game (Crysis 3, Skyrim, maybe looking into MMO possibly) and edit and create music (I haven't been able to do anything with that on this machine yet).

That being said, I still don't know as to the extent of my watercooling. Whether or not I cool the GPU in the loop or go with a kraken G10 or Arctic Accelero solution has yet to be decided.

One final note, I'm not going to be near this machine for an entire month due to my university's winter break policy. It'll also be powered down permanently until I come back.

I've gone ahead though and put the chip back at 4.4 and I am currently testing it for instability.

What we might need to see as a read out of your P-States.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7557228&postcount=208

These are the P-States listed for Johan45's FX-9370.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7557040&postcount=522

You can take either HWMonitor or CPUz (pretty sure either will work) and click on the
ABOUT button and choose save to text file. Open with notepad and you will have to
scroll down a fair distance and you will see the P-States shown as exhibited in two links.
Post them and let's see if you have some odd voltage setting from the factory done after
AMD ran the cpu thru the binning process.
RGone...ster.

I know, dead 100% 24 hour stable at 4.4 because I remember hearing it all night long.
Using Prime? If so, perfect.
My goals: I'd like to push the CPU as far as it can go (without it going kaboom or significantly decreasing its lifespan, with custom loop cooling).
They are pretty tough chips, that said heat will be your enemy, there isn't one of us that have these Fx 8/9xxx chips overclocked over 4.6 24/7 running anything other then big cooling.

What Rgone posted above about the P-States would be helpful, you need to be set at default in order to get them though.

Additionally, when you try and push higher, running hwmonitor in the background and putting up a Cpu SS with it so we know what clock speeds you're running when the SS of Hwmonitor was taken. It allows us to see what the rig is doing under load.

The TT Extreme is a decent cooler but it's still limited as to what it can do. At 4.8G you have 1.5v showing in CPU-z but we have no idea what you have set for LLC so you could be jumping up to 1.53v then if you added more for 4.9 , you ee where I'm going, right.
4.8 seemed to be the sweet spot for my CPU, the next 200Mhz took an added .15v which in the computer world is a lot. Either way we do need more info to help you problem solve this. Which bring me to your signature. It's time you put one up for us. I had to go back to your first post to see what your cooler was. We help quite a few people and keeping things straight is tough. That's why the signature is so helpful.
Go to the top of the page and under Quick Links you'll find Edit Signature.

P-States would be helpful, you need to be set at default in order to get them though.

Dang manny I forgot that. Overclocked you can get 'some' of the P-states but not the full 7 of the FX processors with the added Boost P-states included. So need defaults to get the full range of P-states. Now I typed that maybe my brain will remember. Thanks mR. cLean.
bObErT...

I see my typing technique lessons have been paying off for you Bobert. :rofl:

YeS a tEchNiquE not eaSilY leaRneD. I wAs trYIng to mOve a biG cOncrEte siNk tO gEt bEhiNd iT tO rePAir a leAKing dRaiN liNE iN tHe gArAge. SOmehOw iT g0t bOTh mY liTTle pInkIe fiNGers aNd n0w I cAn tYPe liKe y0u. hEhEhE.
bObErT...:shock:......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

YeS a tEchNiquE not eaSilY leaRneD. I wAs trYIng to mOve a biG cOncrEte siNk tO gEt bEhiNd iT tO rePAir a leAKing dRaiN liNE iN tHe gArAge. SOmehOw iT g0t bOTh mY liTTle pInkIe fiNGers aNd n0w I cAn tYPe liKe y0u. hEhEhE.
bObErT...:shock:......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

oOOh Ya tHEm CoNCRetE sinKs Is teRRiBle hEaVy, aT leasT iT WAS oNlY YOur PinKiES, I tHiNK mINe is JusT a BIrth DeF ect FRoM havInG SeAOTteR blOOd in thE FAMily tReE ! :shrug:

bObErT.........
oOOh Ya tHEm CoNCRetE sinKs Is teRRiBle hEaVy, aT leasT iT WAS oNlY YOur PinKiES, I tHiNK mINe is JusT a BIrth DeF ect FRoM havInG SeAOTteR blOOd in thE FAMily tReE !

LOL Honk Honk clown car coming through.

Back