• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD and Intel join forces.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD Phreak

Heh, not really... But CP and I spent some "quality brother time" together and installed ram sinks on our vid cards. He is going to post up the pics here in a bit.

Here are the pix of AMD Phreak's card:

bendone.JPG

bendone2.JPG

bengpufakecrap.JPG

bengpuclean.JPG

Picture taken by yours truely ;).

wow, nice ram sinks...however i think if you were to put it in and use it you'd notice some sort of burning smell...

Actually, he has the card in at this moment. We installed it not too long ago. It's worked quite nicely when we pushed it.

And is the pic of my card:

davescarddone.JPG

notice that I cut the existing sinks so that each chip has its own, instead of sharing one with its neighboring chip. Not only does this make the whole thing look better, but it also helps the cooling. You can look at my older posts to see what the back of my card used to look like. I plan to put differant sinks on the top of the card later in the future as well.

Haha. We removed the heatsinks from out video cards at that time so we could remove that fake epoxy (which is on AMD Phreaks card shown above), and put some real Arctic Silver on them.

I noticed after I removed my heatsink, that the metal plate on my GPU didn't even touch the heatsink with the compound I had on it. I know I should lap it, but I just put a thicker layer of AS on it until I have time/the want to go through the work of doing it.

Oh, and yes, we did put the heatsinks back on afterwards :p

Better cooling. CP had those ram sinks that were not cut just laying on the chips with some generic goop between them and the chips.

My card had some cheesy sinks that came with my Tt VGA cooler setup. I guess on my pc it was a bit more asthetics, but they definately get warmer probably due to the thermal epoxy providing a better bond than thermal tape.

That pic of my Ti core was one i took to show what fake AS looks like, you know the kind with the red tip cover? I cleaned it all off using some 91% alchohol and applied some real AS3 to it, and then replaced the Tt cooler. Runs nice and cool. :)

The GPU heatsink is mounted by the two screws, right?
If you tighten them too much it will warp/kill your card. I'd get a piece of steel to go across between those holes and in the center, over the back of the GPU, I'd put a plexi spacer so the steel doesn't short out the card. But that's just me :D

Nah, he doesn't use screws. Just those little plastic pin things, and his card is already warped from all the weight at the back end. I use screws on mine, but I don't experiance any warping, luckly.

Oh yeah. Forgot to tell everyone. I wasn't watching my storage limit (only 5MB!!!!) and I went .11MB over o_O. So the account has been temporarily disabled for today. It will be back up tommorw, as I deleted some of the other pix up there. If anyone knows of a place that could give me 20 - 25MB of free file hosting, I'd greatly appreciate it.

arn't those BGA ram chips? If so i thought they run really cool as is...I don't think air cooling or water cooling (without chilling the water) would yield any benefiets...that's just what I've heard from back when kingmax first started coming out with BGA chips....maybe they've gotten hotter?

Back