• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd And Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finkle

Disabled
Over the years i have had many computers from intel to amd... and i wanted to know what you ppl think which one is better... I first was with the intels... but later on i discovered the XP's for AMD were in great value and performed the same or better then most Intels. So let me hear what you have to say

Which is better?

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
which means we have free rule to debate in other places

in the proper computer related cateogorys of corse....

what about my spelling i did that on purpos.:D

OP
F

Finkle

Disabled
lol... ijust wanted to add this here to get u "intellers" all angry... try stepping in the amd turf u will see what we will throw at u flamers :D:D:D:D:D

AZN

AznSniper
Finkle said:
lol... ijust wanted to add this here to get u "intellers" all angry... try stepping in the amd turf u will see what we will throw at u flamers :D:D:D
:rolleyes:
lamer.gif

Maxvla

Finkle said:
lol... ijust wanted to add this here to get u "intellers" all angry... try stepping in the amd turf u will see what we will throw at u flamers :D:D:D:D:D
i already did that. my amd rig i built got torched.

next?

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Finkle said:
try stepping in the amd turf u will see what we will throw at u flamers :D:D:D:D:D
Try throwing some stuff at forum members and you'll get thrown out yourself.

Maxvla

its always funny. the amd peeps that come over here. they are usually not even remotely familiar with what we are doing over here. however i am very aware of what is going on over there.

they come over here spouting whatever their latest wonder is and get shutdown by the upper crust intel guys.

oh and finkle... don't make me bust out links to threads where intel people have actually STEPPED into 'AMD turf'. it wasn't a pretty sight for amd fans.

AZN

AznSniper
most the time amders come here not knowing whats going on or they are joining the dark side :) many has came and not many or none has gone back. well atleast for their main rig that is. but i still wouldnt mine a xp1700 at 2.5ghz. that would be the rig i would build if i wanted a kick arse budget rig.

method().man

I think it has gotten to the point where this question is like asking, "which is better: a Ford or a Dodge pickup truck?" In the end, they're basically the same product with slight differences between the two. I would say in every measurable and important aspect, AMD and Intel are pretty much neck and neck save for a few minor differences - certainly nothing that would greatly affect your computing experience.

Mr. $T$

Finkle said:

leright.gif

Maxvla

method().man said:
I think it has gotten to the point where this question is like asking, "which is better: a Ford or a Dodge pickup truck?" In the end, they're basically the same product with slight differences between the two. I would say in every measurable and important aspect, AMD and Intel are pretty much neck and neck save for a few minor differences - certainly nothing that would greatly affect your computing experience.
i agree. its the fanboys i don't like. this guy didn't even know that his own beloved AMD didn't make palomino's any longer.....

dustybyrd

i bet that a cheaper AMD o/c'd dualie would be overall faster in real world apps...multitasking, games, etc...than a 3.5ghz hyperthreading p4....

check this seti benchmark out:

http://www.ocsetiteam.com/

the top machines are AMD, a 2.8ghz AMD tbird is faster than a 4.1ghz p4 hyperthreader...and this is before Barton...and seti loves memory bandwidth...

also for less money you get two REAL chips (not virtual hyperthreaders)...

i know the gaming would be better on the p4...but how much better? well the top 3dmark03 scores for the athlon are ~7500 and the top scores for the p4 are ~8000---what's that less than 7%

i think i'd rather a dual amd

AZN

AznSniper
dustybyrd said:
i bet that a cheaper AMD o/c'd dualie would be overall faster in real world apps...multitasking, games, etc...than a 3.5ghz hyperthreading p4....

http://www.ocsetiteam.com/

the top machines are AMD, a 2.8ghz AMD tbird is faster than a 4.1ghz p4 hyperthreader...and this is before Barton...and seti loves memory bandwidth...

also for less money you get two REAL chips (not virtual hyperthreaders)...

i know the gaming would be better on the p4...but how much better? well the top 3dmark03 scores for the athlon are ~7500 and the top scores for the p4 are ~8000---what's that less than 7%

i think i'd rather a dual amd
how much cheaper are we talking here? I can show u my scores, will the dually keep up? and dont tell me we are only doing a folding contest either :)

last time i gave a AMDer a challenge he closed the thread, i hope u can back up ur dually.

Maxvla

love the challenge presented :rolleyes:

"hey were testing a drag dodge viper and a ferrari f1 car today to see which is a better car. we are only going to test 1/4 mile dragstrip times and that will decide it."

thats effectively what you are doing here with the seti test. everyone knows amd's fpu is alot better than intels. but overall the intel chip is faster and better just like the ferrari F1 car would be compared to the viper.

dustybyrd

how much cheaper are we talking here? I can show u my scores, will the dually keep up? and dont tell me we are only doing a folding contest either :)

last time i gave a AMDer a challenge he closed the thread, i hope u can back up ur dually. [/B]

1st...i'm not trying to start a war...and i am not berating the p4 800mhz chips...i think the 2.4c is the first great chip intel has had in a while....

...the cost of two barton amd XP's that can be modded to run dual is about the same as a 2.4c...and an MSI k7d mobo is about $180...not much more than the abit or asus....or you can get two amd 1700xp's for about $100 and then run them almost the same speed after changing the multipliers...

i don't have this AMD duallie to compare benchmarks(although i would love one)---i made a mistake putting the p3 tually dually together instead (it cost me about $100 more and it's not as fast)

but i would be curious too...

i think if you averaged all the benchies the 2.4c would be slightly better....

but i would say that a true dual system might be a lot more responsive when really pushing the system with many tasks...

Maxvla

obviously you haven't been paying attention to the intel forum.

the greatest chip intel has released in a long time was the 2.4b the 2.4c is only marginally better because of the fsb. the chip is actually identical (i think) to the 2.4b except it has a lower multiplier and HT is enabled. they are hitting the same speeds. 3.4-3.6ghz on air.

NookieN

dustybyrd said:

SETI benchmarks are pretty academic. A P4 is 50% faster than an XP Mhz-for-Mhz at running Prime95 for a fistful of reasons, but most people could really care less.

Both AMD and Intel offer chips with outstanding performance. AMD has some great deals at the lower-end... but hey instant ramen has pretty good price/performance too and most people don't live off of that.