• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Announces 32-core / 64-threads Ryzen Threadripper (12nm Zen+)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought Ryzen 1 would have had more impact than it actually did. Only now with the APUs and more laptop design wins, might they make a dent in the mainstream.

Not really surprising after Intel trying to capitalize on Ryzen’s... hiccups... at the start. “New” tech, same problems [emoji28]

Funny is that both, Intel and AMD have nothing really interesting in this year and they are showing "old" products after little changes like it was something special.
On the mass market barely anything has changed because of Ryzen. All who work in distribution can say that Ryzen sells good but FX was also selling, even though there was a lot of noise about how bad chip it was. Enthusiasts like OCF members are really low % of all users and no matter what we say here, it won't change global market where mass of clueless people buy PC like they buy fridges.

I would like to see AMD take more market share. I miss the Opteron 165 days... Just got all nostalgic for a moment there.

Server vendors are already selling new series based on Epyc so it's a good sign as for last ~10 years there were almost no AMD server series. Everything branded and under official naming was on Intel. Brands like Dell, HP or Lenovo had no AMD in their official offer. No word on the websites etc. but you could still order some models.
The same Ryzen is in new branded PC series, not only in really cheap series like it was with previous gen.
I think it will take 2-3 years till we see Intel losing market shares. I mean significant, not 10% from entusiast line which is 5% of whole sales.

I mean significant, not 10% from entusiast line which is 5% of whole sales.

I'm surprised it's that high, really. Intel has their fingers in so many pies, and has so many inroads in to "tech" I expected them to be able to lose market share in desktop and custom rigs, but be relatively unscathed as a percentage of gross revenue.

Server vendors are already selling new series based on Epyc so it's a good sign as for last ~10 years there were almost no AMD server series. Everything branded and under official naming was on Intel. Brands like Dell, HP or Lenovo had no AMD in their official offer. No word on the websites etc. but you could still order some models.
The same Ryzen is in new branded PC series, not only in really cheap series like it was with previous gen.
I think it will take 2-3 years till we see Intel losing market shares. I mean significant, not 10% from entusiast line which is 5% of whole sales.

That's not true for Dell on the new Epyc platform, Dell announced the AMD server when it was released earlier this year. AMD put a promo on their site for Dell. They do well, but next gen will be better.

That's not true for Dell on the new Epyc platform, Dell announced the AMD server when it was released earlier this year. AMD put a promo on their site for Dell. They do well, but next gen will be better.

What is not true? You couldn't order Dell server with AMD CPU in last years and now you can. The same with HP or Lenovo. AMD simply back on shelves while everything pre-Epyc was only on special order for couple of years.

Oh sorry, I read your original post as present tense and not past tense.

But yes everyone is back to selling AMD even if the selection is slim at the moment.

Hard to call couple of seconds in Cinebench stable :) Still nice as my 1920X can run stable ( like 2 weeks gaming, benching and other stuff ) at 4.1GHz ... and it's actually as high as most Ryzens will do ( some 2k chips are exception but not most of them as I see ). I guess the limit is in CPU design, not really in amount of cores so as long as cooling will be good and voltage won't be too high then these 32 cores will run at 4GHz+. I only wonder what ambient cooling will keep 32 cores under full load below max temp for TR which is 68°C. The best AIO can keep 12-16 cores at about 62°C without OC.

Since all the brightest minds are assembled, Taco would like to ask a question. Why is Max safe for AMD 68°? Will it melt?:shrug: I don't understand..

It works fine up to 90°C but AMD made the specs and it's weird. Point is that offset for AM4 Ryzen is +20°C, for TR is +25°C so when CPU has 68°C then depends on soft/BIOS it can be seen as 93°C. Also depends on temps there is throttling point which at least on my TR rig is disabled.
I was testing my 1920X up to ~90°C (115°C with offset) and it was stable on air or water cooling. Actually you can't keep it below temp in AMD specs if you overclock it and run under full load as the best air cooling let it to run at ~62°C and the best AIO is not much better. The smallest Noctua cooler keeps max temp at about 65-66°C on stock clocks and full load in Prime95 or AIDA64.

I was thinking to install it as I have a license key at work but when I checked the difference and the fact I don't have more than 1 CPU in my rigs then I just didn't want to waste time.
I wonder if it's any better than Windows Server in anything.

Starting with the first Anniversary Update M$ started chipping away at the usefulness of W10 Pro. The extra control and options (that M$ charged more for) were being removed. Can't say if that's still the case.

Looks like it's not boring on these CPUs :cheers:

Recently I wanted to test LAN teaming as I heard it should work now on Win10 ( and motherboard manufacturers add this info on their websites too ). However, MS said it was their mistake that they unlocked this functionality in one of the versions and now it's disabled again.

I suppose the point was more for the same/less, but my first thought was "Wow, AMD's pricing is in line with Intel." Too many years of saying "bang-per-buck".

Back