• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice/oc questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gambl3r

Registered
I just ordered off newegg a new AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor.

I have read several guides how to oc these cpus, but I am still confused. On my old Athlon mobile xp, I could adjust the multi and fsb, I realise I will be not be able to adjust the multi, perhaps only downward, but not upward.

I am confused with the ram dividers and hyper transport settings, I would like to shoot for around 2.2-2.4ghz, but I wouldent know the proper settings, could anyone help me out by giving me the settings to try like multi x10, and fsb at 240, but what about the ram divider?

I will be running a
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
I have herd this mobo isnt good to oc with.

And to cool the cpu I will use a ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink

I also have 2 x 512 sticks of kingston hyper x

XFX 6800 non ultra

and a Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-430 430W Power Supply

Based off my setup and cooling, is ocing even an option?

Thanks for any help I get.

Xoligy

Ok for that kind of ok i say keep the stock heatsink personally and and the oc have right now with wc is 2.6 tho i've not primed yet but im going to in abit ;)

my settings are as follows

htt: x3
fsb: 260
multi: x10

your right the multi dosn't go up but you can go down the divider... im lost there too lol

OP
G

Gambl3r

Registered
What is your voltage?

And with the heatsink I am getting what do you think I should shoot for?

Xoligy

ok im having a few pc problems atm which im going to post in abit after tinkering but answers first:

1. voltage is higher than it should be i carnt say right now becuase i need to see the bios and cpuz is all messed up

2. zelmans are ment to be pretty good so go for 2.5 mate maybe 2.6 imo see what the rest sa tho im off to sort my problem out ;)

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I've only been messing with a64 chips a short while now myself, and it is a bit ...different than the older chips.

Not really too bad though, just a few new things. :)

Hypertransport Multiplier-
Seems to make little difference if you use lower HT multis- as long as memory bandwidth is more than you can use, it doesn't matter if it is twice what you can use or 5 times as much. 2x gets me the same results as 3x on my system (different mobo.)
Bus Dividers/Locks-
At least some boards have numerous locks or different ratios for pci/agp/cpu bus speeds. If you have them, find the ratio that gets you the best results CLOSE to spec- pci @ 33, etc. Generally, close to spec is more stable. Some boards (like mine :( ) may have bugs in some settings- my locks don't work correctly.

Voltages- a couple of new ones may be present- HT voltage, NB and SB for example.
More voltage can often help when overclocking, but as always, watch temps and use no more than you need.

OP
G

Gambl3r

Registered
Thanks, I am guessing 1.5v should get me to 2.4 or even 2.5ghz.

I recently blew my caps on my old mobo, with my old crappy raidmax psu, so I am wondering if 1.5v would be safe on my mobo/psu?

liftedcj7on44s

3200+

i run voltage at 1.5v to acheive 2600mhz
260x10
htt3x
now as you start raising the htt you will have to lower the hyper transport frequency in the bios. remeber keep you hyper transport as close to 1000 as possible. so in mine i have it at a htt speed of 260 with a htt multi of 3x which gives me a fsb speed of 780. so remember to not go too far over 1000.As far as memory is concerned you will reach a point to where you will seem that you cant overclock you cpu anymore no matter what you do. So what you do is set your memory to a divider(basically you will be slowing down the speed of your memory) so if you have pc2700(ddr333) you will want to set it in the bios to a slower setting to let you get more out of the cpu. But alot of people will tell you that a memory divider doesnt matter on a a64. well it does. The best thing to do is get your cpu and memory as high as possible and make sure its stable. run your memory on 1t timing and raise the htt as high as you can til you get bsod or no posts'. then back off a couple of mhz in the bios and check for stability. yes pci/agp lock, go into your bios and set it to 33.33mhz, that will lock it. on my machine running the memory at 1:1(i have ddr333 and in my bios i set it to 333mhz,this is 1:1)gives me the best performance, better response and windows loads alot faster. I am faster at 2400mhz than i was at 2600mhz. at 2600mhz i had to slow my memory way down to be stable. my ddr333 would do no more than ddr250. at 2400mhz i was able to get my memory to run at ddr416.

OP
G

Gambl3r

Registered
ok thanks alot, that is really helpful. I will tinker with my ram as it is DDR400, and I believe the timings are 2-3-2-6, I had it running at 426mhz on my old Athlon xp system at 2.5-3-3-11

rseven

:welcome: to the Forum!
The hyperX that I use to have would only clock to 226 MHz. If that's the case for you then you will need to use a divider. A 166divider(5:6) with a CPU multi of 9 will get you close to your rams max clock at about 275 htt. Lowering the multi to 9x and the HT Frequency multi to 3x might be the best way to go. Voltage can vary quite a bit from chip to chip. My Winchester will clock to 2.5 GHz on stock voltage, so you never really know till you try it out. Good luck with it.

OP
G

Gambl3r

Registered
Thanks, I have found this place very helpful, I will certaintly try several voltages, but at 1.5v which seems to be in many peoples sigs, that wont fry my mobo will it?

liftedcj7on44s

man i run my memory at 2.9volts. been running it like this for a long time and i play bf2 everynight, so far so good. if it dies well so what i need more anyway. but no it wont kill your board