• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz OC problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CCrack

Hey all I'm new to the forums and would like to say hello to everyone.
I'm having problems with OCing my athlon II x2 250 3.0GHz cpu I was thinking of going to 3.9-4.1GHz from the stock 3.0GHz
I've been playing with options and thing that makes no sense to me is: I put the cpu freq to (example) 240x15=~3600 voltage is on auto mem is on auto also and I can boot into windows run prime95 and temp is stable at 53°C, I shut down the pc return later only black screen no bootup, reset the pc and I get overclocking error and promt saying to revert do default settings, even on 220, 210 sometimes works sometimes doesn't
I've been trying changing cpu voltage to 1.55V still no luck increasing memory voltage to 1.5V but avail, would like if some of you could steer me in the right direction.

Tried dropping NB multi to 8-7-6-5 still won't boot up, I'm thinking it has to be bad memory settings since it won't boot up.
I have however found "Overclock profile 3,5,7%" that is automatic but it only gives me 3.2GHz

It's always best to start at 210-22- so you can see in windows what changes are being made and where the other busses are running. Try to keep the memory/NB and HT busses at or below stock values untill you have reached your max core speed then bring the others up a bit.
I see 800 in BIOS for memory which would be 1600 in windows but what is that memory rated for ?? 1333 or 1600 or..

I think my memory is 1600(I checked the stick it is pc3-128000) but I tried stock cpu multi and 800 mem and it wont boot, so I guess that might be the problem.

Onward I have managed to get it to work
250cpu multi
vcore 1.4V
nb is 9x
mem 400 @ ~1.55V
Now HT link is at 1250MHz
and nb frequency is at 2256MHz
DRAM Frq is 501MHz
FSB:DRAM is 1:2
And It works atm kinda holding steady at 55°C not sure yet
Any room for improvement?

Last edited:
When overclocking with the front side bus frequency you will need to lower your starting memory speed. The memory frequency also climbs as you increase the FSB and will quickly become the cause of instability. You'll probably have to do the same with your NB too.

@Mr.Scott I can OC to that value but as soon as I run prime95 unstable as hell crashes the OS instantly still trying to figure out but I can see that I can increase the voltage to 1.57V and probably get 4.0GHz, now its just figuring out the frequencies and NB (edit: it seems that is 240 not 250)

@trents I'm still experimenting with frequency it seems to cause 95% of all failed overclocks I'm currently 3.76GHz @1.4V and temps are stable @ 58°C don't know is the 0.3 worth squeezing out

Also a question how much should I increase my RAM voltage its now at 1.55V i think its DDR-3 1600

Last edited:
If I can do that with a lesser 240, you should be able to do it with a 250.
Memory voltage can go to 1.65v without any issues.
If your HT link frequency is too low it will cause instability also. Try to stay as close to 2000 as you can.
When increasing bus speed the NB will need extra voltage also. 1.2-1.3v is acceptable.

No, you misunderstand me about the RAM. I'm not saying increase the voltage. I'm saying decrease the RAM frequency. You likely will have trouble running the RAM at it's full rated frequency of 1600 mhz, even at stock CPU frequencies. The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of that generation of CPU is only rate for 1333 mhz so it is fairly weak and will not like running the RAM much faster than that. So you need to start the RAM at 1066 speed as you overclock (which would show up as 533 in the CPU-z memory tab since it displays the DDR bus speed, not the DDR2 frequency). As you increase the FSB the RAM frequency will also increase. The goal would be to use a FSB frequency that gets your RAM up to 1333 mhz (or a little higher) and also gives the CPU a nice overclock.

CCrack, please directly attach pics of CPU-z tabs "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". We need more information that you have given us. You can use the Go Advance button at the lower right corner of any new post window and then "Manage Attachments" to attach pics. First use the Windows Snipping Tool to crop and save the pictures if they are screen shots. Please attach pics directly to you posts like this.

Also, please create a "Sig" containing a more complete listing of your components. We need more information about your system. To do this, click on Settings at the top right corner of any forum page and then look down the left side of the page for "Edit Signature". You can refer to one of our for a pattern of the information we like to see.

Last edited:
You likely will have trouble running the RAM at it's full rated frequency of 1600 mhz, even at stock CPU frequencies. The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of that generation of CPU is only rate for 1333 mhz so it is fairly weak and will not like running the RAM much faster than that. So you need to start the RAM at 1066 speed as you overclock (which would show up as 533 in the CPU-z memory tab since it displays the DDR bus speed, not the DDR2 frequency). As you increase the FSB the RAM frequency will also increase. The goal would be to use a FSB frequency that gets your RAM up to 1333 mhz (or a little higher) and also gives the CPU a nice overclock.
Eh......depends on the ram. I have no problem running 1600-1800 tight on any of these chips. Faster if I loosen them up.

Eh......depends on the ram. I have no problem running 1600-1800 tight on any of these chips. Faster if I loosen them up.

Yes, but let's keep it simple for the OP who seems to be a noob. Let's don't introduce another measure potential element of instability until he gets his core overclock dialed in. That's by far the most important element anyway. Overclocking his RAM will not gain him much performance wise.

3spd.PNG 2mem.PNG 1cpu.PNG
Here are the pics of cpu,mem and spd

I have managed to get to 4GHz as you can see but it is unstable, I can use the PC but as soon as I run prime95 15 secs into it BSOD.
I will also upload the pic of my bios settings It seems I have hit bottom temp rises 1sec-1°C when testing. Don't know what to do now
4bios.PNG

EDIT: I have also noticed a strange thing CPU-Z and HWInfo voltages don't match at all, I first thought that it was amd cool and quiet but it isn't also the power scheme is set to high performance in power options.
5hwinfo.PNG

Last edited:
Set the memory timings manually. 9-9-9-24-33
You are running much tighter than those sticks can handle even at the slower speed.
HT link speed is still too low. 2000 is stock. Get it closer to that. You should have a HT link multi somewhere in your bios.
What's the load temp?

Last edited:
I expect at a 1.56 vcore you are running into heat-related instability. 55c core temp is about it on that generation of AMD CPUs. I also wonder if your motherboard is up to the task of this high an overclock.

CCrack, you need to overclock in small increments beginning with stock frequencies and voltages in order to find the max overclock. It kind of looks like you are shooting for the moon right away. Start with stock frequencies and voltages on the CPU and the memory at 533/1066. Add FSB in 10 mhz increments. Run Prime95 for 20 minutes after each change to check core temps and gross stability. Make adjustments to the core voltage, CPU/NB frequencies and voltages when you start to encounter instability. Be patient.

You many find that you just don't have a 4 ghz capable CPU, at least not on reasonable core voltage. You have a lower end motherboard which may also be a limiting factor as the VRM section of the board is not going to be stout.

And look at that cooler. "An Athlon II stock cooler." That is not going to cut it.

Last edited:
I did everything you said with mem timings but still crashes.
It looks like Il have to do it slowly
So If I got it right
Reset to default
And change fsb in 10 mhz increments without touching voltage.
When it fails increase voltage and continue?
Thing that is an issue for me.is I have no HT link ajdustment multiplier

I will probably leave it at 3.7 @ 250 fsb it was stable there and I've seen some good increase in performance, it's good for mobo+cpu combo for 15$, and If it proves bad I can always buy 280 which is like 10$ on ebay so I can OC it to 4.3

Thank you guys for all your help

Last edited:
If you have no HT Link multiplier adjustment you will not be able to get things stable beyond a small overclock. The HT Link will not tolerate much overclocking. You have to be able to lower it.

Nothing to do about that unless you get a better motherboard. You're going to have to start from scratch, make changes in small increments and when you seem to have hit the wall you need to do a two hour Prime95 stability test to confirm stability. 20 minute P95 tests are good enough at the beginning stages to tentatively establish stability as you are zeroing in on the max overclock. I think that you will find your cooler is going to limit your overclock as much as your lack of an HT Link adjustment. A 20 minute P95 run will pretty much tell you what max core temps are going to be in a longer test.

It looks like I wont be able to
I'm going for 3,65GHz now at 1,4V vcore and 1,68V for memory seems stable at 58*C 10 minutes in blend mode.
Trents you are right the cooler is not going to handle more than this It might be even autoshutdown after 60°C

UPDATE:
P95 been running for 30 mins now and everything seems stable @ 3,68GHz (58°C) don't think I can achieve more without breaking 1,7V for memory

If anyone needs the aprox the specs for their build here they are
FSB: 245
Vcore: 1,392V
Memory voltage: 1,68V
NB freq: 2208MHz
HT link: 1227MHz

Strange problem occuring, when I restart the PC it points me to blank screen before bios, and cannot continue untill I restart and go bump up memory voltage then boots up normally and circle continues

Last edited:
Your memory voltage is excessive for what the clocks and timings are.
Start from scratch on that too.

Back