• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon XP 2200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rasnodgr

Registered
i just put an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ processor in my computer with a Thermaltake Volcano 7 heatsink, and it the temperature is staying around 57 degrees C... im pretty sure it shouldnt be this high, can anyone help me? also, i dont have it overclocked at all, and my old AMD Athlon XP 1600+ stayed at around 47 degrees C with this same setup.

OP
R

Rasnodgr

Registered
the heatsink should have good contact to the core because im not using a shim... i cant figure out what the problem with this thing is.

maxima88

Cooling a cpu involves many factors, not just the hsf.
You need to have good case airflow and also the ambient temp should also be low so that whatever air is being sucked into the case is cool air.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

This should be in the General Cooling section but since you just joined, we'll let it slide.

Good luck w/ your overclocking.

MDA

Took me three days of reseating and reaplying AS3 to get my 2200+ down to 43C- Im not even using a recomended HSF! Good airflow through the case always helps.

MDA.

OP
R

Rasnodgr

Registered
well, ive just been leaving the case open since the processor has been getting so hot, and its not that hot in my room because i live in wisconsin... MDA how did you get yours to cool down?

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
if the leaveing the side off helps temps,u need better airflow.i know mine hasnt seen a side panel on yet.
make sure the cpu voltage is at default.1.65v
find something that will tell u the cpu use.mabey its running 100% of the time wide open.some spy ware does this.
i have the volcano7+ and i run oced with vcore @1.775v
my temps stay at 45-47c @load.
just so many things can couse it.good luck and welcome to the forums.once u get the temps str8 im more than sure u will like the chip.
i hear way more complaints about the xp2400 then the 2200 from current owners.the only people ive seen not like the 2200 is people who dont own one.

OP
R

Rasnodgr

Registered
ive checked the voltage, my case is wide open, im pretty sure the heat sink is making good contact with the chip, the usage is pretty low - usually lower than 50%... what else can i check?

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
is it the first time using that hs? mabey it needs lapped? worth a try.
how u getting the temps?
if mbm5,what sensor?
i didnt even ask what mobo? some dont have the die sensor. if it doesnt it can just be reporting it high. look in bios to see if it reads lower also.
u might wanna check the mobo section and talk to some ppl who have same mobo also.
just throwing as much info out as i can to help.good luck!

OP
R

Rasnodgr

Registered
-ive had this hs for awhile, and i used it on my AMD 1600+
-the mobo im using is a Gigabyte 7VRXP
-i get the temps from MBM5 with the sensor Sis950/TE8705F-1

and thank you for the diagram splintered, i do have the hs on right

Talyn

Registered
it also might help if you use a better thermal intereface mateial like artic silver

i have found that using artic sliver instead of the crappy thermal compound that it lowered my cpu temp 7C

Talyn

Registered
oh yeah and an open case doesnt neccasrily mean good airflow, i have 2 fans sucking air into the front of my case,1 normal case fan on the front bottom and a modified 5 1/4 hard drive cooler taking a slot that has 3 fans that suck air in, plus 1 fan blowing aire out the back, plus my 400 watt power supply has 2 fans on it: 1 that blows air into it and one that blows air out the back of the power supply, in addition to a grill above my geforce 3 to allow air to enter/exit it if need be and to help keep my case temps down
i have so far ran my XP 2100+ at 1833mhz and 1.85v and the highest temp under load ive gotten was 54c, then again my heatsink is a coolermaster HHC-001 with heatpipes and the fan runs more than 7000 rpm according to my bios and SANDRA

OP
R

Rasnodgr

Registered
i am using arctic silver, and my case has pretty good airflow i think, because when i have my AMD 1600+ in i get 45 degrees C but when i put that 2200+ in i get +57

OC Detective

Have you tried removing it cleaning it and reapplying the AS again yet? The XP2200+ has a higher typical thermal power than the XP1600+ but this should not account for the 10c difference you are getting. Think about it logically if everything else is the same in your set-up then the only variable is the way you have applied the hsf.

subconcept

I use an sk6 on mine, running it at stock, it sits at abou 36 celcius.

I dunno the volcano 7 very well but make sure the pressure point on the latch clip (i dunno what to call it) is in line overtop of the die. I always trip check by looking in between the die and the bottom of the hsf to make sre its contacting completely even.

Good airflow is a must, you know you have established good air flow in the case when the temps stay they same or get cooler with the side panel on. Having the side panel off does not move air, and its the moving of the air that will give you the low temperatures, if it just sits there it will just get warmer. If it gets cooler with the side panel off then your airflow needs working on. Remember hot air rises when your positioning your case fans.

Also check the vcore on your cpu. If you dont have a recent bios update for your board it could be putting more voltages into it, like the voltages a 1600 would use. The stock vcore for the 2200+ should be 1.65v.

rdytorave

Volcan 7 Won't Do

Your heatsink is simply not good enough. Volcano 7's aren't great. I had one.

Take the thermal probe and bend it so it's hanging down inside the heatsink. That might allow better RPM adjustment.

If all else fails cut the wires leading to the thermal probe, twist them together and cover it with electrical tape. This will cause the fan to spin at the maximum RPM's.

Save yourself some stress and get an AX7 instead.

late

rdy

rdytorave

Thermalright AX7 is a well respected heatsink. It doesn't come with a fan. Pretty easy to find.

subconcept

If you have a problem with noice make sure you DO NOT get a delta fan if you do look into the ax7.

I have a delta on my sk and its loud, although i am always blaring music so noice was never an issue