• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd athlon xp 2400+ overclock/temp questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glorifiedg79

Hi I have a few questions about my cpu. My system is as follows:
Decent 300W power supply
ATI Sapphire 256MB 9600pro
Thermaltake Volcano 8 cools up to an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (don't known if they mean T-bred or Barton 2800+...)

With my motherboard I am able to change the FSB freely. The default for my cpu is 133Mhz. Currently it is set to 147Mhz and the core speed of the processor is 2205Mhz. Currently PC Alert4 reports that my cpu temperature is 43 degrees celsius, and I am running 5 IE explorer windows and windows media player. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the Athlon XP equivalent of my clock speed?
2. Is my temperature good?
3. What is my multiplier? I would guess it's 15? because 147 x 15 = 2205MHz
4. How come my motherboard doesn't like it when I go up to 166Mhz FSB? I am guessing it is because the multiplier is too high. or too low?
5. My voltage is default. Should I change it? How much should I increase it And if I do will it harm my CPU with the current cooling I have?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

thefly

Your temps seem a little high for idle / little load. Sounds like your cpu has the 15 multiplier. If you try 166x15 you'll be at 2490mhz. Which is probably why your cpu isn't reacting well. As for voltage, you can bump it up a little bit to get better overclocks. But you have to be very careful and watch your temps like a hawk.

max_clock

glorifiedg79 said:
Hi I have a few questions about my cpu. My system is as follows:
Decent 300W power supply
ATI Sapphire 256MB 9600pro
Thermaltake Volcano 8 cools up to an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (don't known if they mean T-bred or Barton 2800+...)

With my motherboard I am able to change the FSB freely. The default for my cpu is 133Mhz. Currently it is set to 147Mhz and the core speed of the processor is 2205Mhz. Currently PC Alert4 reports that my cpu temperature is 43 degrees celsius, and I am running 5 IE explorer windows and windows media player. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the Athlon XP equivalent of my clock speed?
2. Is my temperature good?
3. What is my multiplier? I would guess it's 15? because 147 x 15 = 2205MHz
4. How come my motherboard doesn't like it when I go up to 166Mhz FSB? I am guessing it is because the multiplier is too high. or too low?
5. My voltage is default. Should I change it? How much should I increase it And if I do will it harm my CPU with the current cooling I have?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

1. The equivalent should be a 2700+/2800+
2. The temps are a little high for about 40% cpu usage.
3. Yes, your multiplier is 15x
4. Yes, too high multiplier, but that doesnt mean the cpu cant handle almost 2500Mhz. Maybe is lack of voltage.
5. Up the voltage with little increments allways watching the temps and doing some stress tests to see if the cpu is stable.

My advices:
1. Get better cooling
2. Use 166 FSB (or 200 FSB only if your multiplier is unlocked and if you have DDR400)
3. See if your multiplier is unlocked
4. Do some test to see if the cpu is stable.
5. Dont up the Vcore to more than 1.85volts (you will probably kill the cpu in a few months)

funnyperson1

Before going further I would get a stressfull program that takes your cpu to 100% load to test the temperature then. There are a plethora of programs that will do this, although I like [email protected] http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21 because of its benefits for humanity, but there are some that are a bit more brutal on your system like Toast and CPUBurn.

The full load temperature is the only one that matters because you wouldn't want your system to overheat when you are using it the most (games etc.).

The others in this thread have given great advice, and if your full load temps are below 55C I would push on, maybe with a little bump in voltage (and again make sure the temps are below 55C or so) and check stability with something like Prime95.

The thermaltake Volcano 8 is a bit weak and probably will hold you back. I imagine that when you up the voltage your temps will go too high. I would suggest you look around for a nice all-copper heatsink to cool that cpu if you want to go much higher, or at least get a higher speed 60mm fan for the Thermaltake (a 38cfm delta would probably help a decent bit, although it would be VERY loud).