• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon XP-M on a Duron HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Runner30

AMD Athlon XP-M on a Duron HSF, and 1 more question.

I'm getting my mobile 2500+ tomorrow, but the SLK-700 with AS-5 is delayed by like 2 weeks.
Is it safe to use the CPU with the current HSF (stock came with Duron 1300)?
And there's no HSF compound left either, do I HAVE to use peanut butter ( or that thing meantioned here
:D ) or I can manage without till the AS appears.

Of course I won't do any OC now, will run stock or maybe less.

[EDIT]: I can cancel the SLK700 order and get immediate SLK-947U supply.
It comes without a fan.
What fan would be a good choise for it?

Thanks!
Gil.

Last edited:

fletch

With normal thermal paste (white stuff) or a thermal pad, it should run fine without risk of burning up.

fletch

Well, looks like you may want a fan controller. What kind of temps are you looking for? Is sound more important than overclocking?

OP
Runner30

Runner30

Actually I don't care what the temps are as long as there's no damage to the CPU, and the R350 Hynix mem doesn't get overheated ( perofrmance drops a little then).
I'm going to OC it as much as possible though, so I need a decent fan.
Perhaps a generic 90mm fan will suffice, and I can disable/lower the speed using speedfan?Or should I get anything serious?
Like I said, I'm no addict, strictly functional.

Thanks again.

Zerileous

if you used speedfan there are a few things to consider:
Will the fan you use draw a safe ammount of amps for your mobo header?

Does your mobo support fan speed controll via speedfan? My Soyo TISU does but my NF7-S does not. (i dont think)

OP
Runner30

Runner30

Well I do know I have a poor psu with 12A on the 12V.
My NF7 it seems does support fan speed, though not so accurate at percentage/speed values.