• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Build Guidance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaeKaula

As the title suggests I am looking for guidance on an AMD build. I was a long time AMD user and then when Intel Skylake came out, moved to the dark side. Well it's time for a new partial build, meaning CPU, motherboard, and RAM, PSU isn't needed but not out of the question. Budget sits, currently, at $1,400.00 USD. My preference is start with later gen, so I'd prefer 5000 series AMD over 3000. Motherboard should be ATX to fit the Corsair Airflow 540 predecessor (same design without vertical front drive bays). I'm in southern US, so an AiO of either 360 or 280 is desired (360 front mount, 280 top mount). If suggesting a MB, please note I am using two full length M.2's.

Where I am starting is as follows:
AMD 5800x - https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/p/N82E16819113665
ASUS Crosshair Hero - https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-crosshair-viii-hero/p/N82E16813119110
GSKill DDR4-3600 - https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232863
Arctic Cooler AiO - https://www.newegg.com/arctic-cooling-liquid-freezer-ii-280-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835186248

GPU is a 2060 Super which is sufficient for my Gaming needs (2560 x 1440 @ 1080p).
PSU is a Corsair 750 bought at time of build.

Other things to note: When able, I plan on picking up some Lian-Li AL120's.

So that should cover everything. Feel free to offer suggestions across the board. I'm not married to any of the parts I listed. The only firm Manufacturer is AMD for the CPU. I will OC but not to an extreme, only to what is easily achievable without tweaking things for six hours.

I look forward to your suggestions. One last note, time line is also open. If there is data that suggests waiting a few months for better pricing, please provide it and I'll take that into consideration.

I don't see any issue with your build plans, overall specs look good and will hold for quite a while.

FWIW, your gaming/monitor specs don't make much sense. I assume the 1080p was supposed to be 120 or 144hz :)

I don't see any issue with your build plans, overall specs look good and will hold for quite a while.

FWIW, your gaming/monitor specs don't make much sense. I assume the 1080p was supposed to be 120 or 144hz :)

I am unfortunately using an HP E27q QHD as my gaming monitor which has a Resolution of 2560 x 1440 @ 60hz. I do acknowledge that the 1080p was incorrect. In either case, 60hz is the refresh rate.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the advice. :)

The general consensus is to download your chipset drivers from AMD and not motherboard. Your ram choice is good at 3600 speed. The CPU will like that. Your mobo is overkill but to each their own and I also spent more on mine because of the features and looks. To my understanding there isn't much of a difference between the zen 2 and zen 3, so if you can pick up a 3700x for example, it will be just fine. I also did what you did. My last AMD chip before my 3700x was an Athlon CPU. Since that time it was all intel until now.

There's a pretty significant (for CPUs) difference between Zen 2 (3000 series) and Zen 3 (5000 series). If you can get a 5000 series, absolutely do so. It games better, more IPC and slightly faster clocks/boost. 3000 series certainly isn't a potato, but I wouldn't get that if the 5000 series is within budget.

Yeah I just meant if he wants to save some money, the 3000 series has good discounts now and he could put that cash towards something else. In Canada for example, the 3700x is $380 while the 5000 series is $530 CND

Unless it's another tier up on the gpu (or maybe m.2 nvme drove vs 2.5" sats), id stick with the cpu...

Yeah, a GPU upgrade is out of budget given the current, albeit easing, climate. My system drive is a Samsung 970, with an 850 in the 2nd m.2 slot with an 870 4gb as large storage and Barracuda 120 2gb. Basically storage isn't an issue. Let me ask this, the AMD 5900x still keeps me under budget, is it worth it over the 5800x? The AMD 5950x is well outside the budget but could be a stretch goal if I held off for another few months. The question then becomes, would the GPU be my 'bottleneck'? The AMD 5950x is a nicety. I'm not crunching big data, usage is Full Stack programming with some light design work in an Adobe product, along with as much gaming as I can fit in schedule. Then I guess, the real question is this: Does the AMD 5950x bring that much more to the table over the AMD 5900x? Which again the AMD 5950x forces a few months build delay, whereas the AMD 5900x is tight, but in budget. Could those few months shorten the delay to a nVidia 3080 or AMD equivalent (AMD equivalent - another question for another day)?

Lastly, thank you for all your responses, I appreciate the input.

the AMD 5900x still keeps me under budget, is it worth it over the 5800x?
Worth it is up to you. I'd check out some reviews and see if the performance difference is worth it for you and your uses. Does your software scale to that many cores/threads?

Back