• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD build problems. Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hello all, thanks for any help you can give me. First, here is a list of the hardware.

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
GPU: ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 4350 512MB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 66 PCI sound card.
A generic case and DVD drive.

The computer installed Windows XP just fine and ran a few updates to the operating system. Then I updated all the drivers for the sound card, the GPU, and the MoBo.

My problem is that after not turning the computer on for a day, it won't start up. When I press the power button, it goes through the BIOS, then through a check screen, and gets to the Welcome screen then restarts. After doing this twice, it ran through a HDD check and came out clean. There were no problems. After completing the check, it restarted, got to the Welcome screen and then shut down again.

Could this be a heat issue? I am using the stock heatsink. Is the 400W Antec PSU enough? The GPU doesn't even need a power connector.

Please Help.

Thanks

Mike

I would go ahead and try to boot in safe mode , like been suggested , it might be a driver issue .If that doesn't work my next guess would be ram , verify that you applied proper voltage and timings and run memtest .If that checks out , remove all unnecessary hardware , leaving only bare essentials , its unlikely the PSU, unless it is defective , it is sufficient as well the stock cooling .

Thanks. I will try to boot in safe mode tomorrow when I get up. If it does boot in safe mode, should I remove all applications including drivers?

I would say that you don't have enough wattage. I think 500w is the bare minimum for a system like yours..how many watts is your cpu rated at?
Also remember that while booting, the computer is spinning up drives as well as initializing the components, so the watt draw is higher at that time.
I wouldn't go less than 450w for a PIII, let alone any modern setup.
If you lookup your boards spec's, it should list the watts needed to boot and run, and you should notice that your power sup is not up to the challenge when you add up all the drives and the mainboard, plus all the fans....I mean your cpu alone gobbles up 125w and that is under ideal conditions, and I figure that your board takes another 135-165watts, so you are already approaching 300w and the drives and fans haven't been factored in yet...and the biggest draw should be your video card.
A marginal power supply will eventualy take your system down (usually the board will go south)unexpectedly, and the board will need replacing...just ask anybody who has owned an Emachine...they use weak power supplies and soon after the warrantee expires, the board will go, or the power supply will go.
Hope this helps.
Doc

400w should be ok for that setup, I run an Earthwatts 380 without an issue.
It is possible that it is a heat issue, though seems strange. Is the cpu fan running properly?

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to get to try to boot up in safe mode yet cause I have been busy at work. I will try tomorrow.

I believe the PSU is big enough cause I have tried two different watts calculators and at 100% load the most is 270W. The Antec 400W should be plenty reliable to produce near 400W on demand. If I can't boot into safe mode then I will hook up my Corsair HX850W. If I still can't boot into safe mode, how do I go about checking if the RAM is the fault? Put in just one DIMM and see if it boots into safe mode?

Thanks

Back