• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD builder trying to set up a P4....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Well i've only built AMD systems for myself and my friends in the past, but now I hafta build an Intel system. He's going from a P3 500mhz, 100mhz bus speed; with 384mb of ram. Ya it's pretty ancient. He's pretty stuck on P4 and needs a good workstation computer that he can use for Adobe, video editing, and animation programs, so some pretty memory intensive programs. He doesnt want to spend a lot of money, but is willing to spend the money for good performance/price ratio. Intel seems perfect since its usually quicker with those types of programs, and the nice 800mhz bus speed.

So right now i've suggested P4 2.4c/800mhz FSB, 2x256 OCZ PC3200EL, and I'm not really sure about the motherboard. I've looked into it a little, but I'm still not sure. Whats a good board that has good onboard sound/video/lan, 800mhz bus speed, SATA, and is under $100. I'd prefer either Asus or Abit. Is the onboard graphics like Intel Extreme2 or watever good enough for the programs he's using? And would it be worth $100 more bucks to get 2x512 or is 2x256 enough for stuff like Flash, animation programs, video editing, and stuff like that.

Thanks a lot for the help.

BTW: Is there anything that I should know before building a Intel rig, I mean i've only built AMD machines, but i'm sure there isnt much of a difference. Any cautions or tricks you Intel guys might wanna add?

batboy

Senior Moment
You might get more response in the Intel CPU section.

Will this be overclocked? I'm assuming you are working with a tight budget?

You are going to be limited looking for a mobo with on-board video... especially for under $100. I would probably pick the IS7-M (see link). The integrated video will be ok for about everything except 3D gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-168&depa=1

I'd recommend 2X512 RAM if he is playing on doing video editing and stuff like that.

If this is not going to be overclocked or at most only a mild overclock, then get the 2.8C which really don't cost much more.

The one thing you didn't mention was power supply. Get a decent one that is at least 350w and preferable 400w. P-4 mobos need a PS that has the extra 4 wire square power connector.

Last edited:

Lat

the p4p800-vm is a good board with onboard video as well
it may be a bit more than the is7-m, but it would probably o/c better or what not

OP
ap673

ap673

Ok thanks for the tips. Well he doesnt really know anything about computers, and going from a 500mhz P3 to a 2.4c P4 is already a huge jump, so probably not a lot of overclocking. He is sorta on a tight budget, resonable budget is more like it.

For the motherboard I was looking at these 4.

Abit IS-10 (i865G + ICH5)
Abit IS7-M (i865G + ICH5)
Asus P4P800-VM (i865G + ICH5)
Asus P4R800-V Deluxe (ATI 9100 IGP + IXP150)

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
it doesn't sound like he is going to upgrade this anytime soon based on his old system, so i would go for a 3.0c. you are nearing the end of s478, so you may as well get him something that represents the (almost) end of the line.

i'm sure the price diff is not huge, and when not overclocking, you want all the MHZ you can get up front.

br408408

Registered
I like my Abit AI-7...it's a very good board. I second the 3.0c, it's a great CPU. Mine is at 3525 mhz at stock voltage. The only thing holding me back from more is the need for better cooling

Bill

OP
ap673

ap673

Is there any difference in graphics capability between the i865G chipset and ATI 9100 IGP chipset? What does Intel Extreme Graphics 2 compare to in the graphics card market? FX5200?

KOXC2003

I agree photoshop really doesn't need a great graphics card, onboard is fine. But you also said he his video editing. This is a deffinite bad idea for onboard video. Make sure to budget in a good amount for a decent video card.

dippy_skoodlez

ap673 said:
Is there any difference in graphics capability between the i865G chipset and ATI 9100 IGP chipset? What does Intel Extreme Graphics 2 compare to in the graphics card market? FX5200?

fx5200 pwns intel extreme slideshow.

Its called intel extremeslideshow for a reason too, btw.

The 9100 would eat that intel [email protected] alive, and probably save bandwidth doing it.

Stay as far away from intel IGP as humanly possible.

OP
ap673

ap673

Haha ok thanks for the input, ill go with an ATI chipset to so I can use that onboard 9100 IGP.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
OK... here's my take.
Since he probably won't be overclocking, there's no point in wasting money on OCZ ram. Buffalo, kingston, mushkin... any decent brand, and just go with a cheap one. Also, since he probably won't be upgrading and will probably have this for a long time, I'd put in 1gb of memory in it.
Also, as you know, onboard video sucks. It may not even do the job if your friend wants to play a decent game. It would be better to get a $75 video card that supports the latest directx and such.
While the above will cost more, they will provide much more usable life to the computer and significantly improve performance.
As for motherboards, I'd get one with a springdale (I865whatever) or pt880 chipset, which will provide the best price/performance ratio. Both Abit and Asus have plenty of boards based on these chipsets.

attack

I totally agree with caffinehog on this. Don't waste money on OCZ, get the cheapest ram from newegg AND get a gig. When computers age, memory is the first thing that slows them down, and with what he's doing it's a no brainer to go big. Also video card...yeah you need one. Onboard is good for browsing, word documents...and maybe winamp animations....hmmm maybe not even winamp animations!
An 8500le can be had for 50 bucks, and it's a great performer (8500le and 9100 are the same card too BTW).

Also, I havn't looked at p4 prices, but you may want to conside upgrading the CPU...the p4 is good, but it really needs it's hertz and if your not OCing....

Yes I know I've completly blown his budget....but if he wants this thing to last he's gotta shell out. You can of course just get 1x512 and then an upgraded CPU....upgrade RAM and video card when the cash is available.

Either way he's gettin a nice system