• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Cpu Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zabomb4163

Is this extreamly hot?

52C idle
58C running Super PI 32million

please post your temps. if you know how to fix temps please post in here. and post your amd temps

Looks a bit high to me. What are the rest of your specs so we can help you better.

Under full load my 1600+ @ 1750 runs 50 C. That is with a SVC GC68 cooler, not the greatest in the world but it's silent.

1600XP
stock headsink
256DDR
maxtor 80gig 7200
radeon 8500

(everything is 1 day old)

for stock speeds its really hot, but not dangerous, when I had a bad fan on my 1200 it ran at 64C at times and still stayed perfectly stable. I wouldn't recommend a Stock heatsink for overclocking, getting a good heatsink is a MUST! when you have good cooling one of the headaches that overclocking gives is gone, so u have one less things to worry about. Also consider tiding up all the cables inside the case and put at least 1 intake (front bottom) and 1 exhaust fan rear top to get some air flow in the case.
Try to experiment, get Prime95 (stress proggy) and let it run when the case is closed, record the temps and remove the case cover and let it run again. now if your temps with the case off are lower than they're with the case on, you need more air flow, in my "Secondary rig" my temps are actually lower with the panel on due to a good air flow. the main PC will be getting its mod soon enough to get some airflow as well.

Get a good heatsink such as Thermalright AX-7 or SK-7 or SLK-800 (performance goes from worst to best, not MUCH of a difference tho) coupled with a high CFM fan such as Delta 68/80CFM or a Sunon/Vantec Tornado 84CFM fan, will give you very good cooling

i was just checking on here. as this is the first heat sink i have applied. i was checking in here to see if i might have possibly done the thermal paste wrong.

the cpu is at stock everything. 1600XP. same heatsink that came with it.

on the fan issue- I have one intake fan. but no exhaust fans. (will they make much of a difference?)

if i buy an exhaust fan what kind should I buy? and where should it go?

-at the moment my intake fan is on upper part of the back

I have my 1300 Tbird running 33 idle/37 load @ 1461. Crappy hs too...I have a duct comming from my window though.

My 1800xp runs at mid to high 50's under load with a volcano 7. I ordered up an SLK-800 yesterday so we'll see how much it drops the temps.

-Pfieff

I have my TB1200@[email protected] on a volcano 9 with idle temp of 40C and load temp of 53C stable.

Usually with the default clock setting and default voltage temps are 35C idle/45 load.

So, it depends how HOT and how long you want your chip, the hotter they are the faster they are( when Overclocking)

bit hot there...should keep your cpu always below 42C in idle... i could do 38C with my volcano9 at fan full speed but then i cannot stand the noise...o i gotta live with 42.. =)

under 42c idle isnt nessasary at all. all you need to do is to keep the load temp under 55c MAX and youll be fine

btw ntpphong, my volcano7 has a fan running <2000 rpm, 18dba. and i get 41c idle. silent.
also managed 36c idle with a 2200rpm 92mm fan. which was slightly louder, so i kept the 80

cpu temps

I've just bought an xp2000, msi kt4 ultra, and its running at 54C (case open, hits about 60C with case closed(no case fans yet))while running seti@home. should i be worried?

id say yes. poeple have ran at those temps without any errors, but i would personally be worried. exessive temps slowly kill the processor, even if "appears" to be 100% stable.

what heat sink do you have?

by the way, welcome to the forums! (yeh another from the u.k woohoo!)

Re: cpu temps

jimmystoba said:
I've just bought an xp2000, msi kt4 ultra, and its running at 54C (case open, hits about 60C with case closed(no case fans yet))while running seti@home. should i be worried?

Naw.. I wouldn't be too worried.. but extra cooling is always nice, and will raise the lifespan. But at 50-60 c's, you're aiming at an estimated lifespan about 3 years... and even then, its not even likely to budge.

Looking at the temperatures between open/closed case, I would say you would benefit most from increased airflow through the case, rather than changing the heatsink and fan, as indirectly suggested by Mr. Miller.

Cheers, Flixotide

Re: cpu temps

jimmystoba said:

You too eh Jimmy? Its freaking me right out, im so used to temps around 30 degree's I get worried when my CASE starts getting really hot :)

Well, the general opinions to show that its not that big a deal. A lifespam of 2-3 years is plenty long enough for me anyway :)

On that note, it seems I can get my CPU to run at 2.05 without any modding {just changing a jumper on my mobo {A7V8X}}, at this voltage it runs at around 60 degree's idle {at the moment its at 1.85 at around 53 idle}. IS there really any improvement in speed at this higher voltage?

Thanks for the swift responses guys.
I'm not overclocked.
I'm using an akasa 'AK-785CU' heatsink and fan (good for an XP2800 according to their site). I've just been running at 57C(case open with seti running and writing this reply) and the system crashed.
I've shut down seti and I'm at about 50C(case open), so I think some case fans are called for. any reccomendations?(80mm not too noisy)

Back