• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Duallie Godbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jay venturi

The duallie config is as follows:
The box was built in a solid block of a day and a half.

2 AMD Athlon 1900's clocked from 1667mhz to 1800mhz. The bios calls them "MP 2200".

1 GB DDR ECC
1 Adaptec 68pin RAID controller with on-board 64MB of RAM.
1 GeForce 4 4600 128mb RAM clocked to 335core/750ram.
3 15000 rpm scsi 68 pin scsi drives from seagate.
1 dual watercooling system with the wider hosing and higher (quiet) circulation.
1 blue orb chip cooler on the board chipset.
2 enermax 450 watt power-supplies. magneto inductance switch so that when the power button is pressed both powersupplies come on but are still wired seperatly.

Board, floppy and CDburner are on one power supply, scsi drives and watercooling are on the other.

Running temps when the room is 77 F are 92.5 (cpu0) and 93.0 (cpu1)

MP1900's have the voltage mod and it was made with a liquid trace pen.

The case, when it's closed sports 3/8 pexigalss sides/front/top.

Noise level - almost non existent. After a very quiet period of time all one is aware of is the turbine pitch of the scsi drives.

Here are some additional pics.

AWESOME, i like the blue LCDs.

what kind of benches and scores do you get on 3d mark???

Jay,

Nice job, I believe slick is the word. Welcome to Overclockers!

Colin

benchies

I use Powerstrip to overclock the GF4 4600 from 300/660 to 335/750. The box, so far, has been clocked to 150 mhz fully stable, bringing the dual mp 1900 to 1800mhz (up from 1667) I have had it as high as 158mhz but got cold feet. As confidence grows I will go forth.

My 3d mark score is 12231 so far.

The case is usually adorned with 3/8 thick plexiglas. The internal case monitor reports 76 f when the room is 74 f. The cpu's are running under load at a consistent 92.5 -93.0 F.

if you were planning a build.
1. Use cpu coolers that have the inflow right at the cpu center and spiral away to an exflow at the rim.

2. Use a string quiet pump. Use rubber or spring suspension bushings on the pump t dampen any vibration or additional noise.

3. Flow dirrection should be 1. Pump, 2. Radiator, 3 CPU (s) back to pump. This allows the least distance between the radiator cooled liquid and it also does away with any heat the pump might have passed on.

4. Plan out your cooling lines run BEFORE you start building or making permanent modifications.

As far as the case goes. Mine is dressed in 3/8 thick plexiglas. Tha actual case frame is a heavily modified Q500 frame from my old set up. I was trying to pinch pennies anywhere I could and decided that cutting/sanding/cutting/bleeding was at the time the way to go with the case. In HINDSITE, I think I would have made the innerstructure out of the same 3/8 plexiglas, but this would have added an additional 6-8 hours to the build time.

5. Use two power supplies. The cooling system and scsi drives draw a lot. BUT there are some additional steps.

a. I used a relay switch and a Magneto Induction switch. The realy switch (Radio Shack - couple o bucks) that simple enough: Power button brings both Power Supplies online. The MIS is there for two reasons: 1. it allows me to run the pump without turning on the motherboard so that for maintenence I can have easy access to the circulation system and 2. The switcyh will cut of the first power supply if there isn't any draw from the cooling system. I would dred the overclocked system runnig (what..10 seconds) without any coolin.

b. Check your wiring and remember not to "cross polinate" the devices and power supplies"

The CPU coolers were manufactured by CPU FX they were $50 each. The pump was $80.

Total System Investment to date (including a pound of flesh)
$ 4125.00 give/take $100

Jay

again........who cares about monumental speed when for the same price you can have a complete home network with all having somewhat fast computers. I would rather have this and maybe one comp that stands out from the rest than have a $4125 piece o work that yeah...i can play games fast....but can i have lan parties.....no of course not. If you are rich...then its a different story.

Strangelove said:
VERY NICE setup, Just one thing I could not seem to find in your posts, what Mobo are you using??

I would also like to know. It looks a little like a Tyan Tiger, but I can't tell for sure.

de board

asus 266-d duallie.

I had originally a tyan MPX but it was hell on jumpers. The asus was far more friendly on the overclock.

I have had this set up as high as 158mhz, but I backed off for fear that the ddr ecc ram could not take it. I was waiting for de blue screen o death de whole time.

Chip-wise you MUST cool the board chipset more than the factory default heatsink. This was pivotal in establishing stability.

Hope this helps.

Jay

dragon orb 3 said:
again........who cares about monumental speed when for the same price you can have a complete home network with all having somewhat fast computers. I would rather have this and maybe one comp that stands out from the rest than have a $4125 piece o work that yeah...i can play games fast....but can i have lan parties.....no of course not. If you are rich...then its a different story.

Unless you are someone like me who works 60 hours a week, goes to college, and has to spend time with the Fiance. Lan parties are the last thing on my mind, I'd rather just spend my free time with a good solid computer.

Back