• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK, since my name was brought up twice in your last post, we'll clear the air right now.
I never claimed that you were a troll or prankster. It was not my intention to even suggest that. What I simply meant was that you were being deceived by AOD. That chip never ran at 6.3. It is impossible without at least dry ice cooling. Period. Even the best 8370 in the world will not run that fast on an AIO. Especially the small AIO you have.
I am not questioning your methodology because you seem like a smart guy, and you're overclocking pretty much by the book. Your practices are sound and are very good habits. Your chip will run out of gas around the 4.8 range on your particular cooling solution. It is not enough to keep it cool in the long haul. It WILL heatsoak.
I am no troll or instigator either. I've been doing this for roughly 2 decades. I have many FX processors and all pretty much have the same personality. Many people here will tell you the same thing.
Just wanted to explain a little before we get off on the wrong foot. :)

Louie... No reason to get the thread (your posts) hung up over running at 6GHz(+) with ambient water vs. sub-ambient LN2/Dice/Phase cooling...

Mr. Scott and Johann are both knowledgeable and experienced with AMD and FX.

If you already have your setup running well at ~4.7GHz... Then please post some screen shots showing it running in windows under load with more info similar to what I posted earlier. :thup: Use the windows snipping tool and upload the screen shots using the forums image upload button tool.

This screen shot does not show enough info...

IMG-20160416-00112[1].jpg

Hi Kenrou.
I have to agree that I do find the consistency at MWO a bit shaky from time to time.
But what I have noticed is that every time I get on to play, my ping rate is at a solid 19 pretty much 90% of the time. I have seen it up as high as 47 and once at 114.
From my understanding, and I might not have the information correct, but I was led to believe that the North American server was based in Toronto. That might explain why I generally get such good connections most of the time when I notice everyone else's ping is in the 100 to 200+++ range. And I'm not even inside of Toronto Proper. My only issue with connectivity is the fact that I'm currently stuck with a 5 mbit service at the moment, and sometimes my ISP struggles to give me even half of that. Fishing around now for a 20+Mbit ISP service, but it doesn't look promising or cost effective. But I am being told to put it off for now because we are supposed to be getting Gigabit Fibre out here in the boonies some time by the fall. And apparently it will be an even higher Mbit rate(60 to 100Mbits) at much lower costs than Cable or Copper.

As for my frame rate. The other day when I went onto MWO for the first time with my CPU cranked up to a median 4.7ghz stabilized O/C, I was pretty easily getting 95 to 114 FPS all evening long. Meanwhile, with at OEM 4.3ghz Turbo settings my gpu gets 45 to 65 fps with it mostly being closer to 60 fairly consistently.

NOW! As of this morning, for some reason, even with the CPU set at 4.7ghz, I was barely able to hold a consistent 70 to 80 fps... Why the inconsistency, I really have no idea yet.... But I'm looking into it. My ping rate was still a pretty solid and consistent 19, so this has me wondering what's going on.
I have just tweaked my FX-8370 to 4.8ghz earlier today and am about to head into MWO to try it out. I'll update on the results of that later.

Last edited:
I just spent some time testing out my 4.8ghz O/C settings in MWO.
Although the O/C seemed to be working and stable, I was not getting the performance I was expecting.
To say I was disappointed not to repeat the previous 114 FPS rate average again is an understatement. I just don't understand how I could have 114 FPS with an O/C of 4.7ghz one day, then the next day at the same O/C setting only average 88 FPS, and then today with a newly vetted 4.8 mhz O/C, I was barely seeing over 71 FPS?

Can the MWO servers be that inconsistent?

Massive performance difference between the maps and according to the settings you're using. The volcano and the caldera maps are the most punishing because of the heavy use of fog/heat and the new snow map has issues with the "snowy wind". The settings that punish your hardware the most are very poorly implemented anti-aliasing and particles, turn those down and you're ok-ish again :)

Back