• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD goes back to old Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

A few months ago I complained that AMD was charging so much for their CPUs... They were priced the same as the intel chips or in some cases more than intel. I was amazed by this, because AMD has always been a budget user CPU. I had said that no one would pay Intel Prices for AMD CPU's... anyway it seems I was right about that. AMD has gone back to their old formula of being 30-40% cheaper than intel CPUs (for the same performance rating). I think is is good for everyone, especially AMD users. i'm sure you'll all happy.;)

It just shows that AMD isn't able to charge High prices for CPUs, and probably will never be able to. Personally I like AMD because of the lower prices, when they were charging the same price as intel, then it's a no brainer to go with intel. AMD obviously agrees,hence the lower prices again..

Cool is that why the 2500 barton went from 125 to 93 bux in less then 2 week's?

So does this mean that amd cpu prices will drop even more here in the near future?

jonspd said:
So does this mean that amd cpu prices will drop even more here in the near future?

well they are cheaper as it is, very much cheaper.. If they went down any less AMD would be out of business.. The Point is you won't see a AMD 3000XP the Same price as a Intel P4 3GHz CPU anymore..;)

Opterons are out. And they are NOT CHEAP. Even the 1.8Ghz model costs like 700 bucks. The top end 1.8Ghz model costs about 850 :eek:

Overclocker456 said:
A few months ago I complained that AMD was charging so much for their CPUs... They were priced the same as the intel chips or in some cases more than intel. I was amazed by this, because AMD has always been a budget user CPU. I had said that no one would pay Intel Prices for AMD CPU's... anyway it seems I was right about that. AMD has gone back to their old formula of being 30-40% cheaper than intel CPUs (for the same performance rating). I think is is good for everyone, especially AMD users. i'm sure you'll all happy.;)

It just shows that AMD isn't able to charge High prices for CPUs, and probably will never be able to. Personally I like AMD because of the lower prices, when they were charging the same price as intel, then it's a no brainer to go with intel. AMD obviously agrees,hence the lower prices again..

I agree with darkjedisleikas and ed... its definatly NOT good for AMD... and in the long run... not good for its customers either. AMD going out of business is not something anyone wants to see.

Ok, it sort of looks like you are just starting thread here to minimize AMD and AMD customers. I don't like that "budget user" thing you stuck in there... for one, call AMD chips whatever you want, but I would not like to be pidgeon-holed as a "budget user." I have my reasons for buying AMD, and only one of those several reasons is the good price. For two, up until p4 northwood, AMD was better AND cheaper, so yes you could call it a budget chip, but that would hardly be representative of its value. Now the lines are blurred as to who is better, but I don't see how its a no brainer to go with Intel, and I doubt AMD "obviously agrees" with you on that either. We do not have to get into the relative values of the processors right here and now... its been discussed before. But I wish people would just watch the things they say a bit, cause I just see this negative attitude towards AMD users from your post and others started by Intel people here. It just seems like your post doesn't have any purpose other than to do a bit of subtle pointing and laughing at AMD and AMD users...
I will give you the benefit of the doubt... I assume you didn't mean to offend, I'm just pointing a few things out.

If this is true it may also be bad for Intel users as if things start to go bad for AMD then Intel with start to take it easy... Both camps should hold a mutual respect for each other...

many of you are saying this is *not* good for AMD, however if this boosts sales enough, it may end up in fact *being* good for AMD, when prices drop it sure makes it tempting for me to upgrade...

but one thing that I believe is AMD's biggest problem isnt the price of teh CPUs or the speed or the pr rating.. its that not many ppl know wtf an athlon is, in fact i asked a few ppl at school about AMD processors, and one person actually thought that they were an Intel part! Oh and remember Opteron? Supposedly it was the "most highly anticipated processor ever" well i asked everone in one of my classes (on a bet with a friend) not a single person knew what it was, and 1 or 2 ppl knew what an athlon was, and the same people knew what AMD was, however EVERY person knew what a Pentium 4 was... That is in my opinion the biggest problem facing AMD, is they go online, or go to a store, looking for that pentium, and when they see the Athlon, they just move on because they are shopping for the brand, Intel, it doesnt matter that all the "enthusiasts" know what AMD is, what matters is that everone else knows, because the average joe makes up 90% of the market.....

I really don’t see why anyone would be offended by another’s opinion of AMD.

I imagine lots of people are happy to buy CPU’s at a cheaper price.

AMD doesn’t seem to be able to compete with Intel as far as advertising and winning customers, convincing consumers that their product is just as good as Intel.

It’s a dog eat dog world and AMD is wearing milk bone underwear.

Actually the lower prices will kick up the demand (and we've all seen the demand increase lately) so if AMD does lose money, it will be a whole lot less than if they were charging Pentium prices and not selling any at all.

Whoever thought they could charge what they were at the end of last year and continue to sell high volumes of CPU's was obviously smoking more than they were selling..

Supply and demand at its finest.

When AMD releases a 500MHz fsb CPU, then they can charge Pentium prices, and I'll gladly pay 'em too. :D
Actually I'm tired of AMD following in Intel's shoes. Geez why don't they get their collective minds together and build a mindblowing CPU. The new 800fsb PIV's are really going to hurt AMD. They need the Athlon 64 ASAP!!

mattspalace said:
Pentium prices

They need the Athlon 64 ASAP!!

HAHA from now I am going to call any prices that are high "Pentium Prices" instead of premium prices :p .

THe Opterons are out if you noticed I posted that a few posts back.

onx said:
but one thing that I believe is AMD's biggest problem isnt the price of teh CPUs or the speed or the pr rating.. its that not many ppl know wtf an athlon is, in fact i asked a few ppl at school about AMD processors, and one person actually thought that they were an Intel part! Oh and remember Opteron? Supposedly it was the "most highly anticipated processor ever" well i asked everone in one of my classes (on a bet with a friend) not a single person knew what it was, and 1 or 2 ppl knew what an athlon was, and the same people knew what AMD was, however EVERY person knew what a Pentium 4 was... That is in my opinion the biggest problem facing AMD, is they go online, or go to a store, looking for that pentium, and when they see the Athlon, they just move on because they are shopping for the brand, Intel, it doesnt matter that all the "enthusiasts" know what AMD is, what matters is that everone else knows, because the average joe makes up 90% of the market.....

That's exactly right. AMD would be much better off if they could reorganize their marketing department. How many times a night do you see a commercial with the Intel logo? The AMD logo? Chances are you've rarely if ever seen and AMD commercial. That is their problem. Yes they make a great processor and yes they sell them cheaper. What good is that, however, if nobody knows who they are. I remember when I bought my first computer, it was a Gateway(but don't hold that against me) and the top AMD they had was a 950mhz. A month or so after having the computer I had some issue with it and went looking on the site for it to find the answer. To my surprise, there wasn't an AMD to be found anywhere on the site. I just checked the desktop part of the site and still, all you see are p4's and celerons. AMD really needs to get back in good with these large computer sellers. If they can do that, and start showing the occasional commercial on tv, they'll be much better off in the long run.

ya i was checking out price watch last night and noticed they where down. i think the 3000+ was like $265. hell i gave $300 somthing for my 2600+ when they first came out. i saw the 3200+ where like $400 somthing. but thats only because they are new chip and raving about the 400mhz FSB. but i hate to tell AMD but all there new chips are running 400mhz FSB!:D

Overclocker456 said:
A few months ago I complained that AMD was charging so much for their CPUs.. I was amazed by this, because AMD has always been a budget user CPU.

So you're amazed that a company with less brand-recognition is selling its products cheaper than the company with a well-established brand name? Well, color me shocked. :rolleyes:

Why is it a "no-brainer" to go with Intel? AMD were leading the processor market all through the launch of the original Athlon to the launch of the 2Ghz P4. Where were you paying Intel prices then? For products that were slower and launched later? P3 1.13Ghz anyone?
This post is obviously a troll.

Anaxagoras1986 said:
Opterons are out. And they are NOT CHEAP. Even the 1.8Ghz model costs like 700 bucks. The top end 1.8Ghz model costs about 850 :eek:
They're much cheaper than anything the 64-bit competition is offering. Much much cheaper. You don't know how much cheaper, and they're pretty damn speedy too. The competition has a hard time getting their 64-bit CPUs above 1Ghz while AMD does it for less than a grand and outperforms a lot of other solutions.

mattspalace said:
Actually I'm tired of AMD following in Intel's shoes. Geez why don't they get their collective minds together and build a mindblowing CPU. The new 800fsb PIV's are really going to hurt AMD. They need the Athlon 64 ASAP!!

Considering how AMD managed to take on the behemoth and consistently beat it for two-and-a-half years, i'm not too worried about AMD's engineering prowess. ;)

Last edited:
bah... there was an article on Icrontic.com about AMD and marketing... but i went there to find that the site is now apparently being sold on ebay by the owner...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2534763359

bah.

anyway, marketing costs money AMD doesn't have. its the sad truth. i dont know why they didnt try to build a name for themselves in the public when they(and everyone else in the tech sector) was doing better financially.

Re: Re: AMD goes back to old Formula

Demont said:

I agree with darkjedisleikas and ed... its definatly NOT good for AMD... and in the long run... not good for its customers either. AMD going out of business is not something anyone wants to see.

Ok, it sort of looks like you are just starting thread here to minimize AMD and AMD customers. I don't like that "budget user" thing you stuck in there... for one, call AMD chips whatever you want, but I would not like to be pidgeon-holed as a "budget user." I have my reasons for buying AMD, and only one of those several reasons is the good price. For two, up until p4 northwood, AMD was better AND cheaper, so yes you could call it a budget chip, but that would hardly be representative of its value. Now the lines are blurred as to who is better, but I don't see how its a no brainer to go with Intel, and I doubt AMD "obviously agrees" with you on that either. We do not have to get into the relative values of the processors right here and now... its been discussed before. But I wish people would just watch the things they say a bit, cause I just see this negative attitude towards AMD users from your post and others started by Intel people here. It just seems like your post doesn't have any purpose other than to do a bit of subtle pointing and laughing at AMD and AMD users...
I will give you the benefit of the doubt... I assume you didn't mean to offend, I'm just pointing a few things out.

I apologize if you got offended. AMD makes GREAT CPUs. I never said it didn't. I am a huge fan of the bang for the buck thing. But AMD is a budget CPU company. That's what they built the company on. Great Performance for Great Price. They did try to up the prices to match intel prices and sales went south.. WHY? Because for a EQUAL price, Intel is a better choice. I think if AMD get prices the same as intel chip, they would be out of business much sooner.

I own a Hyundai Elantra GLS 2001. It's a Budget car for a great price. That's why I have it. I love the car. For the Price I paid NOTHING is better. But if it cost the SAME as a Nissan Sentra SE-R I would get the Sentra SE-R. Do you get my point? AMD is a budget CPU, and that's ok. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have amazing performance for the price and in certain cases can be the competition... ;)

Back