• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd hsf + [email protected] results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The-Traveler

Ok i bought an ATi 9800 pro 256 and it had the 360 core and pcb. Flashed and on stock cooling i did 411 on core with artifacts sometimes so i added as5 and got it stable. 420 did noticable (massive in 03 nature) artifacts. I added an athlon 2000 heatsink and fan and now Im getting load temps of 63 while before it was 74 and I can do 430 mainly stable when i try 440 i get a checkerboard of yellow dots and some snow lol in ati tool.

My questions are this. My stock hsf had a little lift of about 0.5 mm where the core should be but I made sure that contact was made before i applied as5 and after does this matter?

The VGA silencer i saw a graph on their website claiming a drop from 79 to 49 in temps, is this an overexageration?

Does temperature of the ram chips really matter? They are rated at 400mhz (hynix 2.5ns) so even if they hit 55 degrees shouldn't they run at that speed?

And finally what do u think of this whole thing do you think a vga silencer is better, is the athlon heatsink just a pos or what?

Sorry for the 1000 questions but I'm quite dissapointed after seeing this.

Viper John LOOK AT xt 256 500 core!!!!

Z YA LTR

The-Traveler said:
Ok i bought an ATi 9800 pro 256 and it had the 360 core and pcb. Flashed and on stock cooling i did 411 on core with artifacts sometimes so i added as5 and got it stable. 420 did noticable (massive in 03 nature) artifacts. I added an athlon 2000 heatsink and fan and now Im getting load temps of 63 while before it was 74 and I can do 430 mainly stable when i try 440 i get a checkerboard of yellow dots and some snow lol in ati tool.

My questions are this. My stock hsf had a little lift of about 0.5 mm where the core should be but I made sure that contact was made before i applied as5 and after does this matter?

The VGA silencer i saw a graph on their website claiming a drop from 79 to 49 in temps, is this an overexageration?

Does temperature of the ram chips really matter? They are rated at 400mhz (hynix 2.5ns) so even if they hit 55 degrees shouldn't they run at that speed?

And finally what do u think of this whole thing do you think a vga silencer is better, is the athlon heatsink just a pos or what?

Sorry for the 1000 questions but I'm quite dissapointed after seeing this.

Viper John LOOK AT xt 256 500 core!!!!

The athlon heatsink should work just fine. I have an a64 heatsink on my 9500np and have went from 276/270 to 412/333 without artifacts.

--Josh

ColtIce

Disabled
I'm not familar with the pcb layout of your card but when I did mine I had to trim the heatsink on the lower left corner to cleaar some componets on the card.they sat pretty low so I thought they might clear at first but they didn't.also the stock AMD fan is pretty weak so I've been thinking of upgradeing it to a more powerful 60mm.

Slimmy

Z YA LTR said:
The athlon heatsink should work just fine. I have an a64 heatsink on my 9500np and have went from 276/270 to 412/333 without artifacts.

--Josh

With just he a64 stock heatsink! WOW... :drool:

Z YA LTR

Slimmy said:
With just he a64 stock heatsink! WOW... :drool:

Yea thats all I have plus some as5. Its a full copper heatsink. Its so heavy that it pulls the card out of the agp slot. So for now I have a marker rigged underneath it to hold it in place :p

--Josh

OP
T

The-Traveler

Well this one isn't copper but I may put on a volcano 7+ at a later time when I upgrade my cpu cooling to the TR xp-120.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS, IS THE VGA SILENCER BETTER????

Mustanley

With a 9800np, I was able to overclock it with the stock heasink to 416MHz core, then I added a 1u copper hsf with brought it up to 425MHz and then a month or so ago I used a retail Athlon XP 2500+ cooler (copper) with a bigger 60mm fan and I'm now up to 445MHz (AS5). I don't have a VGA silencer, so I can't compare the two.

The only advantage I can see to the VGA silencer over a cpu heatsink is that it may lower case temps by exhausting some hot air. But a large copper cpu heatsink if properly drilled and mounted, should have more cooling potential than a VGA Silencer.

Last edited:

Z YA LTR

With my a64 heatsink I was able to get about a 10mhz better overclock that the vga silencer. And it was a hell of a lot more fun to make and install.

--Josh

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
Z YA LTR said:
With my a64 heatsink I was able to get about a 10mhz better overclock that the vga silencer. And it was a hell of a lot more fun to make and install.

--Josh

you're not having any problems with the weight of the heatsink? sounds heavy.......

Z YA LTR

HousERaT said:
you're not having any problems with the weight of the heatsink? sounds heavy.......

Yea its a little heavy. It will come out of the agp slot if I dont prop it up. But thats only beacuse my agp slot doesnt have a lock.

--Josh