• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD launching 8 and 12 core server chips soon :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

AMD to Launch 12-Core Server Microprocessors in March – Sources.

Basic Specifications of Next-Gen AMD Opteron “Magny-Cours” Transpire
[12/15/2009 05:01 PM]
by Anton Shilov

Advanced Micro Devices will launch its twelve-core AMD Opteron “Magny-Cours” central processing units (CPUs) for high-end servers in March, 2010, sources close to the company revealed. AMD plans to unveil a broad family of twelve- and eight-core chips for multi-processor machines with different performance and thermal design power points.

The mainstream line of twelve-core AMD Opteron 6000-series processors will consist of three chips operating at 1.90GHz, 2.10GHz and 2.20GHz. Besides, AMD will also release highly efficient (HE) and special edition (SE) AMD Opteron 6000 microprocessors with twelve processing engines functioning at 1.70GHz and 2.30GHz, respectively. In addition, AMD plans to launch three standard-voltage eight-core chips at 2.0GHz, 2.30GHz and 2.40GHz frequencies along with two HE eight-core processors at 1.80GHz and 2.0GHz clock-speeds. In order to ensure maximum stability, all AMD’s twelve-core processors will come with reduced clock-speed of integrated memory controller and L3 cache (1.80GHz) compared to six-core and quad-core products.

Source: Xbit labs

Bobnova

Wooha, 12 cores is getting somewhere :D
Course they'll cost a couple billion bucks each, but whatever.

Bobnova

At the same clocks, figure +50% in well-multithreaded tasks at the same clock speed.

OP
Neuromancer

Neuromancer

When you say that, it almost seems more economical to just use quad cores unless the jumps to 6 cores equate to insane performance gains.

The reason they cost so much is
a) they are server grade

but mainly

b) they extra i/o buses on them for CPU to CPU talk

the 500 dollar ones will work in dual socket boards... the 1000-1500 dollar ones work in 4 socket motherboard. All that communication costs a lot of bandwidth.

You could run up to 24 cores in one server, instead of needing a 4P and a 2P with quads. Plus if you were running one specific app that needed that many cores you have the extra latency added by not having all 24 cores running on the same box

Once the 12 cores are released in a couple months... a whopping 48 cores on one server board. FULL cores, with super low latency communication.

exactopposite

Aren't these earlier than previously stated? Makes you wonder if they have some desktop parts up their sleeves.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
The reason they cost so much is
a) they are server grade

but mainly

b) they extra i/o buses on them for CPU to CPU talk

the 500 dollar ones will work in dual socket boards... the 1000-1500 dollar ones work in 4 socket motherboard. All that communication costs a lot of bandwidth.

You could run up to 24 cores in one server, instead of needing a 4P and a 2P with quads. Plus if you were running one specific app that needed that many cores you have the extra latency added by not having all 24 cores running on the same box

Once the 12 cores are released in a couple months... a whopping 48 cores on one server board. FULL cores, with super low latency communication.

This made me laugh. intel may have their "8" core cpu's but we have actual 8-12 core cpu's :thup:.

freeagent

But how much work can they do.. more cores dont mean anything if their 12 core units perform like intels 6 core units heh.

So is this chip the "Bulldozer" core that they were workin on a few years ago, or is this something different?

OP
Neuromancer

Neuromancer

These are the Magny Cours chips (terrible name)

Bulldozer will be out 2011 I think? Wonder when we are going to see windows x128 :)

Bobnova

HT "cores" generally add 30% more performance or so. In this case 4x1.3=5.2, i7's with HT peform very roughly as 5.2 core CPUs.

senorbum

Registered
I could really use one of these at work. Currently using sun T5120 servers with 8 core (64 distinct thread) processors. I would be very curious to see the power consumption of the new amd processors though. Data centers are having less trouble shoving servers into a room and more trouble getting the power into those servers.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
When you think about it, how important is speed really? I mean it's better to have a faster processor, agreed on that, but when it comes down to it, the modern-day processor is no where close to holding back a system. What needs to be worked on and what needs to be made faster is how all these components interact so that you can take advantage of the faster processor.

And besides that 12 cores @2ghz does the work of 4 cores @ 6ghz if I'm not mistaken so speed matters less in this case.

QuietIce

Disabled
but are they fast?
More speed equals more than normal heat - anybody that OC's can tell you that. Crank a processor 25% above it's design speed and it'll run 50% hotter (as an example). Servers already have heat issues because of all the processors packed into such a relatively small space. Better to run a cooler and more electrically efficient server than a fast power hog. They're marathon runners, not sprinters ...

Joeteck

Retired
Way to go AMD! They're just kickin the crap out of everyone lately!

I guess they're tired of being second best in everything!

AMD has the fastest video card in the world!

And soon, AMD will have a CPU with the most cores!

Now we know what AMD did with that settlement money from Intel! LOL

chuckerants

I don't care if Intel or AMD is the best. What I care about is that they are competitive. When they compete, it's good for all of us end users.

Malakai

When you say that, it almost seems more economical to just use quad cores unless the jumps to 6 cores equate to insane performance gains.

They will be much more efficient for highly parallel stuff like database servers. web servers. ect. Also more cores running at a lower clock speed will give superior performance (in server/db environments) than high speed quad cores while using less power and making less heat, which is probably an even bigger concern to server farms than performance in the current market.

Server farms require massive MASSIVE cooling, very expensive, getting the same or better performance compared to other solutions while being cooler and using less power is a very very big deal for servers. I think I read somewhere that a server farm can use the power of like 10,000 homes for air conditioning? Something along those lines anyway!