• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or Intel (and other questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got the Asus bundle from Fry's: Asus P6T SE w/ i7 930 Bloomfield for $330-20(MIR).
They also had a nice deal on RAM, so I got 6GB Corsair XMS3 cas7 modules ($170-20mir). Both of these were "1 per household" deals, so I had to get my dad to pick up my wife's machine. On top of all that, they even had a deal on Win7 oem ($88) and 2TB drives ($110). But, the best deal was in the parking lot: a hot dog with a coke for $0.25! I think it was some 25 anniversary sale that led to all the insane deals.

I only just got the parts from my dad yesterday (and the LGA 775 adapter I ordered for her XP-90c hasn't arrived yet), but my machine has been built since Friday night. The big thing is trying to iron out the kinks in Windows 7. I like to set up a small partition that only holds Windows and a second larger partition with my documents and programs. In XP I only had to make two changes: 1) redirect "My Documents", and 2) change the default install directory in the registry. In W7, "My Documents" has been split up so you have to redirect many different folders (Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures, and three sub-folders in AppData). The install directory is even worse. You have to make about 3 changes in each of the 32 bit and 64 bit registries, then copy over the directories of any programs that were installed before the changes were made (IE, WMP, etc.) After all that, there are STILL some programs that are defaulting to C:.

The "still broken" list includes Mathematica (waiting for install media and license from work), my Palm Centro (no USB driver in W7), and I'm auditioning for a new LaTex editor.

Now that things have been running solid for a couple days, I'm starting to think about breaking them. I need to get Folding started on this thing and I'm trying to figure out which client to use. The SMP client seems like a real PITA, so I need to go over to that forum to get some advice. I'm also starting to think about overclocking this sucker. Given that my RAM is DDR3 1600, I think I can just crank BCLK up to 166 to hit my target overclock of 3.5Ghz. Are there any other settings I need to tweak? I know this chip can probably do a lot more, but I'm willing to sacrifice 500Mhz for the peace of mind that the chip will last.

BBigJ, As far as your Centro, I think you will be out of luck finding drivers, If your Centro has Bluetooth you should be able to sync via bluetooth, You may have to purchase a BT adapter for your rig.

Scott, that is what I had concluded also. I just ordered at BT dongle from the 'egg.

Aarrg. Now OCCT won't run because it is looking for files in AppData on C:

Congrats on getting it all together. i am going to be upgrading to windows 7 in a little bit. I am lucky every program I run isnt critical so I can live without or find something better. Anyway to run win7 in 32bit mode for the Centro?

Congrats on getting it all together. i am going to be upgrading to windows 7 in a little bit. I am lucky every program I run isnt critical so I can live without or find something better. Anyway to run win7 in 32bit mode for the Centro?

I think about all you can do is run Xp mode with windows 7 professional.

Back