• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Overdrive "Auto Clock" just crashed my new box...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well right now my ram is only showing up at 666mhz, it should be 800. So should I be manually setting the 'DRAM Freq' to 1600, or should I somehow be controlling the memory freq indirectly via the cpu bus freq?

Where is it showing up as 666?
Because you have to remember that DDR is Double Data Rate, so 666*2=1332 which is close enough to 1333. If you want it at 1600, then go ahead and set it there.
The M4A79T says it supports 1600 MHz RAM, but that's an OC, so you may need a slight voltage bump to make it work (DRam voltage)

@Gopher - what are your temps with those settings?

I'm getting idle temps around 32C and Prime95 will load it up to about 50C.. like 52 or so. But i'm going to try and down the voltage to get some cooler load temps (every other stress program I use gets it to about 48-51C).

But like I said this is just an example to show that this CPU can go higher than that auto-tune was getting it. I have a HUGE case (Thermaltake Xaser VI) which is about 2.5 feet high and 3 feet long with 4 140mm fans and 2 120mm fans... So I got lots of air going through it.

And you MOST DEFINATELY want to disable AMD Cool N' Quiet. I started to OC with it enabled still and I kept getting errors, couldn't get my pc to load fully, couldn't figure out what my settings actually were cuz cores kept getting shut down, and wasn't getting consistant temps... Disable it if your gonna do a good overclock. I'm sure you can turn it on once you get a stable clock though and it would be just fine.. but during the OC process i'de say turn that crap off immediately.

Where is it showing up as 666?
Because you have to remember that DDR is Double Data Rate, so 666*2=1332 which is close enough to 1333. If you want it at 1600, then go ahead and set it there.
The M4A79T says it supports 1600 MHz RAM, but that's an OC, so you may need a slight voltage bump to make it work (DRam voltage)

AMD overdrive is reporting the 666, which im sure means my ram is underclocked at 1333 (since I have all my bios settings to auto). My board handles 1600 just fine (its 1800 that requires overclocking).

So you are suggesting I set the dram freq directly in bios? The options are 800 or 1600 (I assume 1600 is AFTER the 2x.. god I hate how it is so hard to tell when youre dealing with 'pre double pumped' numbers...). And youre saying that even though my cpu core clock (aka the memory bus) is only a measly 200mhz, my cpu-to-ram bus will somehow stiill be able to transfer data at 1600mhz?

Yes the numbers your BIOS shows are after doubling, god knows why it isn't consistent.

and yes, they will interface at 1600MHz or whatever, as the 200MHz isn't so much an actual speed as a number that defines other speeds.

I tried setting my dram freq manually to 400, then to 800. I ran Super PI to see if there was any difference (is there a better app to test memory performance?). Here are the results...

SuperPI 1.5 ver testing 16k, 1m, 8m

- 200hz x17 (1:2 ddr 800) 6 ras to cas
.187s, 20.623s, 4m 25.031s

- 200hz x17 (1:4 ddr 1600) 11 ras to cas
.187s, 20.436, 4m 13.635

I left all the cas latency stuff to auto, and it seems to have shot way up (in a bad way) when running at 800 compared to 400. But even factoring in that, the differences seem very small. Shouldnt I be seeing a bigger difference between essentially ddr3 800 and ddr3 1600 ram?

SuperPi is based more off of you processor speed, memory differences in SuperPi will be minute. I'm not sure what I'd use to check that out, and the differences will show in the speed you applications load, as well as when you switch applications.

anyone know any good apps for testing memory performance?

*also, as I continue to up my multiplier to 17.5 and beyond, at some point I have a feeling I will run into a HT/nb/pci express bottleneck. Are there any apps out there that can tell me when I need to focus on these other components?

Last edited:
It depends on where your clock is at (I cant tell just from your multiplier). You will eventually have to do it to stabilize everything.. I dont think it's so much of a bottleneck as it is the system becomes unstable with such different speeds running around in there. My CPU is at 3.8 and I've already clocked my NB to 2400MHz from 2000... (this ups my HT Link also... since NB is the max for the HT link I clocked them both to 2400) and increased the voltage.

Read Dolk's Guide and it explains alot about when and how much you need to clock up other parts in your system.

If you don't have it already, you should download CPU-z, which will give you a nice readout for what speeds your system is running at.. and definitely disable CnQ if you're going to OC. Both Sisoft Sandra and Everest can test and benchmark your memory and a few other things. But I would highly suggest reading Dolk's Guide which Gopher just happened to post, and should give you nearly all the information your seeking.

OK I have read dolks guide, but I have a question about upping my nb voltage. He has a chart I am following that tells you what to set your nb freq to in relation to your cpu freq, and suggests at a certain point you need to up you nb voltages. Well in my bios I have these settings...

CPU/NB Voltage - AUTO
CPU VDDA Voltage - AUTO
NB Voltage - AUTO

I THINK the last one is the one I want, right? So what are the other two for? Also, in dolks guide he made no mention of overclocking or upping the voltage on the hyperlink, so I assume I should just keep it in sync with the nb freq, and leave the voltage on auto?

*btw is there anyway to monitor my nb health/temps? Or should I be safe just so long as I dont go higher than dolks chart (I dont plan on going higher than 4ghz, so I shouldnt need more than 1.2-1.3 volts for my nb according to his chart).

*And one other question about dolks guide. It seems the FSB freq is used to factor ONLY four things - Your cpu clock (times a unique multiplier), your nb freq (times a unique multiplier), your HTLink (times a unique multiplier), and your ram freq (based on some ratio). This begs the question, assuming you have a unlocked multiplier, why would you EVER raise the fsb? In his '4ghz' section he suggests you start by finding the max fsb freq, but if you can control all 4 components freq independently of the fsb, why bother? I guess my question is, are we 100% sure the fsb freq ON ITS OWN doesnt effect anything performance wise?

Last edited:
If you aren't going higher than 4.0 then I'd just follow Dolk's guide to the letter, if it's not mentioned, chances are you don't need to play with it.

Yeah but I still would like to know. I mean I would really like somebody to confirm or deny the following - There is no physical fsb. But rather it is simply a NUMBER (and nothing more) that each of the 4 components (cpu, memory, Ht and Nb) use to determine their frequencies. In otherwords, the ONLY ONLY ONLY purpose of the fbs freq is to squeeze smaller increments out of each combonent (if upping a multiplier by 1 or .5 overclocks things too high).

*And I am also still not sure which of those 3 bios settings (posted above) is the 'correct' nb voltage setting I need to change.

Okay, you need CPU/NB voltage.
There is no actual FSB. It's a number, just a number
But, many processor can not overclock using their multiplier, and can only overclock via the FSB number.

There is no actual FSB. It's a number, just a number

Hmm I wonder why Dolk suggests (in his 4.ghz section) that you start by increasing the fsb? What is the purpose? If the fsb freq means nothing (if there really is no fsb as you say), then why would you every try and raise your fsb (you can just use the multipliers right?)? Of course when you reach the limit for your multipliers, THEN I could see why you might want to up the fsb a couple clocks to squeeze out that last bit of performance... but other than that... why touch the fsb?

Are we 100% sure it does nothing on its own?

*so I will set my cpu/nb voltage according to dolks chart. What are the other two voltages for? Do I need to monkey with them as well?

Not all processors have unlocked multipliers. The premise of the 'Black Edition' Processor is one whose multilplier you can change. If your processor isn't BE, then your only method of overclocking is only available via the FSB.
EDIT: Most processors allow the multiplier to go down, which is why Dolk says to do so.
So most people drop the multiplier and raise FSB until its 400*8 instead of 200*16, then moves it up to 400*9, 400*10 etc, until he (hypothetically) reaches 400*16, which is with both maxed out.

Ok well I just had my first crash (was running prime95 for 15min, then it reset me to the windows safe mode command prompt). I was running at 200hz x18 2200 NB, 2200 HT. Now my cpu voltage was at 1.4 but I have yet to touch my nb voltage yet. So I went to change it (according to dolks chart my nb should be around 1.175-1.25v at least), so I changed my CPU/NB Freq from "Auto" to 1.175.

When I booted back into windows I noticed that amd overdrive was reporting my "NB VID" as 1.175. Problem is, it USED to be 1.375, so it would seem that I just UNDER volted my cpu/nb. Now, there is ANOTHER nb voltage setting being reported in amd overdrive, jusr called "NB Volt", which is only 1.1.

Remember, in my bios I had THREE options relating to nb voltage - "CPU/NB voltage", "NB Voltage" and "NB 1.8v voltage". Perhaps do I need to set BOTH my "CPU/NB Voltage" AND "NB Volt" in my bios to 1.175?

Ok, somebody correct me if i'm wrong here.. but..

Your CPU-NB Voltage is the voltage used in the link between your CPU and NB...
The NB Voltage is the voltage going to your physical NB chip.
The other one?? Well I really can't say, I have no clue.

And as for the FSB or Base Clock number... come on man...

To determine the clock of your components takes two different numbers. A base clock and a multiplier. The multiplier is just a number, the base clock is just a number, neither of them have any physical existance.
You up the multiplier, the chip knows to clock higher, you up the base clock, the chip knows to clock higher.

Why change the base clock? If you really get into playing with your numbers and doing it all manually, you'll find out that you may be able to go to say 18X at a base of 200MHz... making it 3.6GHz... or you may be able to go to 210 base clock but only go to 17.5 and you get unstable but still, you now have 3675MHz... When you start to play with it you can see trends of you multiplier maxing out, then you back off and start upping the base clock, when thats maxed out, up the voltage or HT link and CPU-NB speeds/voltages, and then start again with the multiplier.

Also, a simplier answer... 50% of CPUs dont have unlocked multipliers.. so thats the only thing you can change.. (idk if that numbers right so dont take it literally.. i pulled it outa my arse)

Memory??? Click Here This guide explains alot about clocking your memory and such.

CPU/NB Votlage is what you want to change, however, the sweet spot is 2200-2400 mhz CPU-NB. 2200 mhz can be accomplished with stock CPU-NB Volts. 2400mhz doable at 1.2 CPU-NB volts in most cases. CPU-NB creates a lot of heat though, so I would reccomend running at 2200mhz with stock volts. CPU speed will give you a higher performance increase for the heat generated than higher CPU-NB regardless of your bottleneck worries. Just trust us on this, its been tested.

I've ran 3.2ghz CPU 3.0ghz CPU-NB and it doesn't even compare to benchmark results of 3.8ghz CPU 2.2Ghz CPU-NB.

Some concluding remarks
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6260786&postcount=20

Full thread
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=621053

Dolks Research
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=594100

Last edited:
Interesting... Currently I am running stable (2+ hours of prime95) at the following...

200hz x18, 2400hz nb, 2200hz HT, DDR3 1600. CPU Volt 1.45, NB/CPU Volt 1.175. It runs prime95 stable for hours, gets a little hot though (52-53c), idles around 39-40.

If I bump to 18.5, I crash within 15 seconds of prime 95. I would really like to hit your 'sweet spot' of 3.8ghz... Any suggestions?

*gonna try lowering my nb to 2200hz. I wonder though.. since I have been running 2400hz all this time at just 1.175v, should I try lowering to maybe 1.1? Maybe I can save some heat that way since ill only be at 2200hz?

Back