• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II 940 BE - Now available in the USA :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 940 is going for $275???

For $25 more, you could get the core i7 920 which will be 90% faster....

This seems like a no-brainer for one whom has the least bit of intelligence, especially since these aren't even the AM3 ddr3 platform yet! I used to be an AMD guy as well until I saw the light :)

Seems to me that you might be the one with the intelligence problem, bud! Keep flaming and insulting people on these forums and you won't be around long! -muddocktor

Last edited by a moderator:
90% faster

Holy WOW batman...

goes and buy's 100 of them O wait 100 of them would heat up the earth about 10c by themselves ......

Last edited:
okay, how much did that motherboard and DDR3 memory cost you to go with that Core i7? why brag about how fast your computer is anyway? so what if you can go from 0 to lonely in less time than it takes to do a 1M superpi run.

But AMD are moving into DDR3 pretty soon, which will have better support for newer cpu's. Also the Motherboard will probably last years like 775 did.

I don't know why DDR3 is so good though, as it has higher latencies. Probably would have been better to wait for DDR5 or something.

Point is we were having a nice conversation about AMD not Intel and some PPL should pay attention to where they are at and the fact that they are posting in AMD and not be so ignorant as to call PPL stupid.

I say we start posting about AMD in the Intel thread. see how they feel about that.

I am not that low but............................. I really did not need to put that in my post. Just let me state that without AMD we would still be single core Pentium 2. If you doubt look at the time lines you learn about in school's. Oh I for got this guy is toooooo stupid to post in the proper area how could he possibly learn anything.

This seems like a no-brainer for one whom has the least bit of intelligence, especially since these aren't even the AM3 ddr3 platform yet! I used to be an AMD guy as well until I saw the light :)

Fanboy much. Alright, so 285 for the processor, 300+ for the motherboard, 200 for ram. Makes perfictly good sene to me....NOT. There is no need for these fanboyisms right now.
Also, if you actually read the benchmark, I7 was maybe about 10-20 percent faster.

Fanboy much. Alright, so 285 for the processor, 300+ for the motherboard, 200 for ram. Makes perfictly good sene to me....NOT. There is no need for these fanboyisms right now.
Also, if you actually read the benchmark, I7 was maybe about 10-20 percent faster.

maybe he meant 9% and just added an extra 0 on accident kinda like the accidental post in the wrong section :bang head

BTW people no need for name calling by any means. It will be taken care of I'm sure.

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE

I just got a call from the President of the USA, he wants me to OC his 940.

I think thats on topic.

The realistic comparison though is that you can get a good i7 motherboard for about $240, the Gigabyte EX58-DS4. But a good ram kit will still cost you about $100 along with $295 for the chip.

So $635 for the Core i7 platform versus $275 + $150 + $40 for the AMD set.

Intel Core i7 = $635
AMD Phenom II = $465

With $170 you could easily upgrade from a GTX 260 to a GTX 280 or even have crossfire 4850's versus single 4850.

When it comes to spending your money wisely, AMD made a right move for gamers and gave us an alternative to the Q9550 platform. The question is, when do we get budget friendly SB750 boards so you can OC cheaply on the PII like you can on the C2Q.

Point's well stated and to close I drive a Ford E-150 with a V-8 crappy mileage but I can pull a 24' pontoon boat and have a full crew in the back. Why not Chevrolet? because I prefer the Ford and there ain't nuthin wrong with that. If you like Intel ain't nuthin wrong with that. I will not however ride my Suzuki to a Harley rally and talk trash without expecti'n a beating.

You must have gotten lost. The intel forum is the next click over. Not everyone wants a Core I7. Some of us like to be different.

BTW people no need for name calling by any means. It will be taken care of I'm sure.

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE

Listen please.

We welcome anyone over here, so lets stop picking on intel.

10% - 20% faster?

The main point of mine was that there will be the new AM3 platform coming out soon which I bet will boost the performance significantly, heck maybe even remotely close to the BIG power of the i7 architecture :)

It is kinda the same as someone buying the gtx 295 right now. It would be pointless seaming dx11 cards are literally a few months at most away. The gtx 295 will be virtually useless when windows 7 and dx11 games come out (I know that will be awhile yet but still)...

So, you all may consider the amd total platform as costing a measly $170 less, but think about the buying power of each and every dollar in which you would be spending on an intel verses amd platform.

Don't get me wrong, I love AMD and all ---> This core i7 is the first intel chip I've owned since Pentium 233mhz with mmx technology :) So, let's just say that my opinion was an educated, unbiased one.

I've got nothing against the i7--we all know it's a fine architecture. But a 15-20% lead in desktop tasks and a lag in realistic gaming performance versus Phenom II makes P2 more than just a curiosity. It's a good choice for a daily rig.

Back