• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackclovers

Registered
first off, im new to the forum, and pretty new to overclocking
so i lack what most would consider common knowledge on the subject :)

i run a athlon 1700XP with a Thoroughbred core, its running at around 1.6gigs.
my core was "locked" when i got it and i just connected to L1 bridge to unlock it.

iv herd alot of people talk about the bartons cores and how they are locked, but when i looked at a picture of a barton they seem to have all the same bridges i do (and in roughly the same place) as on my Thoroughbred core.
my question being, can you just connect the L1 bridge on a barton and bypass the lock?

Hello, Welcome to the Forums.

At this moment, if you get a week 39 to 42 barton i.e (0339-0342) on the chip, most of them will be unlockable, there is no way to unlock those Bartons. Take a look at this thread:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244237

The newer ones (past 42) should have no problem, but I will suggest that if you want to get one, and be sure of the stepping so it is not locked, to go down to the local computer hardware shop and look through the steppings.

You may want to try again in the AMD sub-forum. Anyways, these are unlockable. These have the bridges that lock the chip severed internally I think. Whatever they did, it is inside the CPU and altering the bridges has no effect. I beleive at the moment that all week 39 to present CPU's from AMD are locked.

blackclovers said:
first off, im new to the forum, and pretty new to overclocking
so i lack what most would consider common knowledge on the subject :)

i run a athlon 1700XP with a Thoroughbred core, its running at around 1.6gigs.
my core was "locked" when i got it and i just connected to L1 bridge to unlock it.

iv herd alot of people talk about the bartons cores and how they are locked, but when i looked at a picture of a barton they seem to have all the same bridges i do (and in roughly the same place) as on my Thoroughbred core.
my question being, can you just connect the L1 bridge on a barton and bypass the lock?
No. The newly-locked Bartons have intact L1 bridges. If all they did was cut the L1s, I wouldn't care too much, it wouldn't be too bad to unlock. A way to unlock these cpus has not yet been found. You can still find unlocked Bartons hanging around, and you can OC without multi control, just look at all the people with intel systems. BTW, Thoroughbred cores are all factory unlocked. Having to unlock it, and the OC speed you got out of it make it sound like a Palomino.

Oh, that is nice to hear, I thought it was all AMD's after week 39. Thanks for correcting me ;)

You are right, that does sound like its a Palomino. First, if it were a tbred, you would probably be getting about 1.8-2.1 Ghz if it were a tbred A, and if it were a DLT3C tbred B, you would be getting probably 2.35-2.55 Ghz out of it. If your L1 bridges were cut, you probably have a pally. Also if it origionally ran at 1.75Vcore its a pally.

If you want to get a barton, I suggest getting one before week 39.

From what I have read, it IS all AMD's post week 39 (with the few that slipped through between 39 and 42 being exceptions). The list now includes Bartons,T'breds, Thortons, and even Durons!

Back