• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Review: Ultimate 1080p Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD made a few exciting announcements in Las Vegas at CES 2020 this year. Among them was the announcement of a new mid-range GPU, the RX 5600 XT, which AMD touts as being the ultimate 1080p gaming card. This wasn't too much of a surprise since leaks and rumors told us it was coming and what to expect. We just needed to test one and judge the performance for ourselves.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beast of a card, this!!!!

Paul's Hardware showed it beating the 2060 Founder's and the EVGA 2060 KO in his review. The only reasons I could see nVidia only using a price cut to compete with such a card is A) They didn't truly know the extent of its performance B) They're counting on RTX to still sell the lower priced 2060s that are now closer to the 5600's price or C) They're releasing new GPUs this year. I think some combination of A and B is most likely.

Yep. Those that are clocked higher (like the Sapphire) does beat the reference 2060 by a couple of percent.

Paul's Hardware showed it beating the 2060 Founder's and the EVGA 2060 KO in his review. The only reasons I could see nVidia only using a price cut to compete with such a card is A) They didn't truly know the extent of its performance B) They're counting on RTX to still sell the lower priced 2060s that are now closer to the 5600's price or C) They're releasing new GPUs this year. I think some combination of A and B is most likely.

Historically AMD have generally offered a bit more performance and/or for a bit less cash at a given point. I'm assuming nvidia didn't really have anything else to put in this spot performance wise, so rather than offer yet another performance boosted card, they dropped pricing of one already in that area to more aggressively compete.

I think Anandtech summarised it well. The faster 5600XT models with higher overclocked bios was fighting against the 2060 in performance, although cheaper cards might not offer the same factory OC. The 1660 Ti is pretty much irrelevant in the market so beating it isn't much of a victory. 1660S while a bit slower is much cheaper so that provides another value point to consider.

I have to wonder if people really do optimise that much for performance value. I'd argue it is close enough not to matter, that going red/green or other factors are more significant in a buying decision. Still, more choice isn't usually a bad thing. nvidia might have too many cards this gen even if not all are really current.

Fair point. I would argue most people buying a 5600XT by itself to put in a custom rig would likely OC themselves anyways, so I don't think the fact the the cards are factory OC'd anyways matters a great deal. That performance is likely obtainable with a stock card still. Hats off for AMD though, they've been really crushing the CPU market, and it looks like their GPUs aren't anything to scoff at anymore either. Not to say that Polaris was exactly making a mad dash to catch up in the lower end to midrange, either.

Back