• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Radeon VII Video Card Review Roundup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today is the day AMD is set to release a new GPU into the market with its Radeon VII video card. Early rumors and ramblings from the AMD camp has this card pegged as a $700 (MSRP) card which is said to compete with NVIDIA's RTX 2080 on the performance front, gaming at least. The card should do well in compute as the silicon it is cut from, the professional MI50/60 cards, are professional/server type of cards.
Click here to view the article.

BOOM.

We don't have a review sample (yet... missed the first round), but we have a short and sweet summary along with links to quality reviews inside.

Discuss!!!

I actually had the chance this morning, got to the Newegg page while both Asrock and GB cards were still in stock, but this 980 is still doing "well enough" at 2560x1440/60hz.

They had the XFX card up for $100 below MSRP but specs at a glance looked the same - was wondering if it was an error on the Egg's part as I think in one of their newsletters they had the XFX at $700 as well. Pretty sure it was the first one sold out though.

Edit - Must've been, looks like they changed it to match the other VIIs now. Anyone get an order on one to see if they're honoring it?

Last edited:
Yeah, the power is just kind of out of control. It isn't a huge deal on your bottom line, but more power use = more heat and additional mitigation efforts potentially.

Note - that techspot link is in the article already. If there are any new you guys would like to see linked there, please LMK. :)

Yeah, the power is just kind of out of control. It isn't a huge deal on your bottom line, but more power use = more heat and additional mitigation efforts potentially.

Note - that techspot link is in the article already. If there are any new you guys would like to see linked there, please LMK. :)

Sorry, I didn't actually read the OC Forum article but saw the TechSpot article first and it was dated today.

Man, I hope the 7nm CPU AMD is coming out with soon does better than their 7nm GPU.

I think we all do.. this one was a but disappointing unless you can use its compute abilities.

EDIT: Please read the front page articles! We work hard getting those up there!!! :)

Last edited:
Spotted this post at the [H] regarding the HBM2's place in the market for this card. So I guess the wattage is worth it in some scenarios, even before the tweaking wars begin.

Is there any word on why they are sticking to 16GB on their consumer line as opposed to cutting it down slightly (to say 12gb) to cut price, then launching 16gb variants under the Firepro line (or I guess it would be the RadeonPro now)?

I'm assuming having an HBM2 line for prosumer/workstation cards then a cheaper GDDRxx line for some of us "little people" would be too great a change in memory controller architecture for the same generation.

Not sure on that...

Their pro line are called Instinct with the cards named MI50 and MI60..

Taco was here.
What about mounting the card outside the case and use an extension pci^x cable? That might help keep the case cooler and possibly oc vid card higher due to more cool air.

Is there any word on why they are sticking to 16GB on their consumer line as opposed to cutting it down slightly (to say 12gb) to cut price, then launching 16gb variants under the Firepro line (or I guess it would be the RadeonPro now)?

I'm assuming having an HBM2 line for prosumer/workstation cards then a cheaper GDDRxx line for some of us "little people" would be too great a change in memory controller architecture for the same generation.

Why have a "Frontier Edition" and a "Gaming Edition" (aka 64/56) when you can just sell it as one PCB?

Cards were available in EU stores since day 1 ... somehow not many were sold ... I wonder why ;)
For me it's total disappointment. Card is expensive ... and in EU costs much more than supposed to. RTX2080 is cheaper, performs better, uses less power, generates less heat ... no idea about what AMD is thinking releasing product like this in so high price and very limited quantity.
There is a chance I will get one for review but it's a low chance as my vendor will probably move all cards to the sales department (because of low availability and all are AMD reference anyway).

Λ There's a note on the [H] that AMD released an update to resolve the UEFI issue.
I assume it is a bios update, which, frankly is unacceptable for a card manufacturer to require a normal user to do.

Back