• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD RDNA2/Big Navi Rumors thread:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

Until Nvidia solves the BIG -> 00 <- availability of the RTX-3080/90, that is not looking like a option until the beginning of Q2-21. If AMD can have availability with ~ 10% less BUT 10% more they will sell a TON by Christmas.
IMO even @ $750-$800 AMD CARD (RTX-3080 MSRP $699) is still attractive as you are paying more (limited availability) for the NVidia card anyways.
The RTX-3070 ($499) is still a big ??? -IF IF - They can have product for purchase (Not a selected few through e-mail purchase) and is not marked up ~$599, it maybe the Cat's Meow.
IMO the BIGGEST ++ AMD may have over Nvidia is availability as RDNA 2 is a polished TSMC's 7(+)nm chip.

mackerel

I really do hope AMD have plentiful supply so it increases my chances of getting nvidia sooner. Given that AMD have issued guidance to sellers to prevent Ampere-like things from happening, they're not expecting to meet demand either.

bmwbaxter

CPU using GPU memory did I hear that right?
EDIT:

rx 6900 xt $999 Dec 8th
rx 6800 xt $649 Nov 18th
rx 6800 $579 Nov 18th

Last edited:

Kenrou

Damn everything looked/sounded amazing till they made the 6900xt look like a 3090 — huge increase in price for very little performance gain :bang head

bigtallanddopey

Yeh but when you are talking over 1k people are buying it anyway whatever the price.

But 3090 performance (claimed by AMD) for 1/3 less. That’s pretty good.

bmwbaxter

Damn everything looked/sounded amazing till they made the 6900xt look like a 3090 — huge increase in price for very little performance gain :bang head

they just went to just under nvidia. If amd doesn't have supply issues they win this war.

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
These look awesome, for the most part. Like Kenrou, I feel the 6900XT is a curiosity for AMD, the large price increase for little reason. I am STUNNED that they reached 3090 honestly. That said, what about RT and the RT hardware? I don't see any results with RT from them... did they mention it in the release?

Don’t think anyone leaked that.
Inifinty Cache was leaked, no doubt. :)

EDIT: I love the "best API" mention on these benchmarks... they aren't comparing apples to apples to me, no? Also, Rage mode is overclocking...and that is going against stock GPUs.

In the end, it seems like these cards, out of the box, will be a hair slower, but when you overclock and use the Infinity cache, they become on par/faster in some titles?

Kenrou

They stated that they shouldn't have any problems on launch day but didn't say anything after that, so assume there might be issues. $580 for a 6800 that will be between a 3070 and a 3080 in raw performance, $650 for a 6800xt that beats the 3080 (by a very interesting margin) in most games + Ryzen bridge (?), $1000 for the 6900xt... Yeah daddy's gonna get himself a brand spanking new 6800xt this November :D

EDIT: RT performance leaked is around the level of the 2080ti, but they didn't say anything about it at the launch so assume it's a work in progress :shrug:

EDIT: I love the "best API" mention on these benchmarks... they aren't comparing apples to apples to me, no? Also, Rage mode is overclocking...and that is going against stock GPUs.

In the end, it seems like these cards, out of the box, will be a hair slower, but when you overclock and use the Infinity cache, they become on par/faster in some titles?

The guy that presented the 6800xt specifically said that they were faster on average even without game optimization, but we'll see in November when the partner AIB's/reviews start showing up. Linus says the Rage mode simply gives us more watts to play with and ramps up the fans in one button, which might give us 1%-2% at the most ?

Last edited:

bigtallanddopey

I was watching a tech tuber whilst the stream was on and I don’t know how true but he stated that ray tracing will work on different games for Nvidia and AMD. Maybe it was just sponsorship but they only showed ray tracing with AMD partner games. There was no here is what we do in battlefield 5 for example.

It would be a massive coup for Nvidia if games like cyberpunk only have day tracing for there cards.

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Isn't Rage mode still auto-overclocking, same as the 5ghz toggle some motherboards/CPU's have ? The guy that presented the 6800xt specifically said that they were faster on average even without game optimization, but we'll see in November when the partner AIB's/reviews start showing up.
I'm not sure what motherboards and CPUs have to do with it... those are different things (boost). This, from what I know so far (I just listened to that guy going over it), it's overclocking he even calls it overclocking. One of the slides showed the gains and it was a few to several %.

But yeah, all of these values seem to be overclocked and using the infinity cache (the latter only possible with AMD boards, not across all platforms).

Yeah, no RT numbers... scary for anyone who plays those titles and uses the technology.

Kenrou

More to the point he goes a bit into more detail about RT at ~3m15s :thup:

Linus says the Rage mode simply gives us more watts to play with and ramps up the fans in one button, which might give us 1%-2% at the most ?

OP
EarthDog

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If it only raises the power limit (already exists) and raises the fan speeds.... IAMDISSAPOINT in that feature having a name, lol!

What are the results for Intel users? We can see several percent difference in one slide... which then slips these cards in below the 3080 and 3090, right?
What were the deets on IC working? Is it tied to a chipset or a CPU? Does it work with B450/X470? 2000 Series Ryzen or only 3K/5K?

BugFreak

AMD has always named their software with fancy names but then they basically end up doing nothing.

Very interesting specs for these cards and the prices look pretty good too. Glad to see COD results because that is one of my primary games. Unless I missed something all the comparisons used that AMD CPU/GPU combo to get that performance. I am really interested to see what they do without the AMD CPU. If these performance numbers hold up then nVidia better get on the ball with getting stock out or they will lose plenty of market share I think.

Kenrou

If it only raises the power limit (already exists) and raises the fan speeds.... IAMDISSAPOINT in that feature having a name, lol!

What are the results for Intel users? We can see several percent difference in one slide... which then slips these cards in below the 3080 and 3090, right?
What were the deets on IC working? Is it tied to a chipset or a CPU? Does it work with B450/X470? 2000 Series Ryzen or only 3K/5K?

Yeah to be fair I was kinda disappointed as well since any enthusiast will do that straight away anyway but oh well... more miffed as they're still using the crappy control panel that gave the 5*** so many problems. For Intel users from what they show I would say the 6800xt on par with the 3080 on average for $50 less, the 6800 will still be above the 3070 for $50 extra and the 6900xt slighly below the 3090 for $400 less. It seems the Ryzen bridge thinguie only works with the new 5*** so x570 and some b450 and Intel equivalent.